VILLAGE OF SCALES MOUND
Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees
November 25, 2019
The Regular Meeting of the President and Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, November 25, 2019 by President Davis. Members present were Nicole Busch, John Duerr, Lindsey Duerr, Ruth Foley and Bernard Trebian. Member Shannon Driscoll was absent. Also present were Steve Stadel, Village Treasurer, Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk, and Brandon Behlke.
The Minutes of the October 29, 2019 Regular Meeting were corrected as follows: on page 1 under Ordinance Violations, it is to be noted that Mike Brown did not make any house visits, however some noticeable improvements have been made in the violations which had been noted, so, Thank You to those residents who have made the effort to clean up their properties. Foley moved, L. Duerr seconded that the Minutes of the October 29, 2019 Regular Meeting be approved as corrected. All voted aye.
The Treasurer’s Report was reviewed. J. Duerr moved, Trebian seconded to accept the Treasurer’s Report as presented and to place it on file. All voted aye.
The October bills were reviewed. L. Duerr moved, Busch seconded that the November bills be approved for payment. On roll call vote, all voted aye.
- A) Ambulance Board – Ruth Foley explained that the Ambulance Board has signed a contract with Jo Daviess County making the Ambulance Board a separate Board under the jurisdiction of the County Board. The County Board will be the taxing body and will also appoint people to the Ambulance Board.
- B) M. Chamber – The annual Christmas Party will be Sunday, December 1st at the Town Hall.
- C) Girl Scouts Cookie Sales – A letter was received from the Girl Scouts of Northern Illinois stating the door to door cookie sales dates are January 8th thru February 2, 2020, and cookies will be delivered and Cookie Booth sales held between February 28th and March 22, 2020.
- D) Other – A letter was received today from Mediacom informing the Village that on or about December 22, 2019 they will be implementing new rate adjustments.
- A) Monthly Report – President Davis informed the Board that the plow truck is down for repairs and should be up and running soon. Also, information has been placed on social media that the railroad crossing will be closed from approximately 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. on Tuesday, November 26th for replacement of rail in that area.
- B) Operation/Maintenance/Streets Committee Report – No Report
- C) Sewer & Water Operations Committee Report – No Report
ZONING REPORT – None
It was agreed to wait until spring to pursue ordinance violations.
Minutes, Regular Meeting, November 25, 2019 – Page 2
- A) Further Discussion/Action on Solar Panel Regulations – Ordinance vs. Policy – tabled to December Regular Board Meeting
- B) Further Discussion/Possible Action on Administrative Law Ordinance – President Davis explained a little about Administrative Law, stating that this would allow the Village to issue a citation and keep any fine money in house. As it is now, a violator would receive a notice to appear in court and a Judge would decide the outcome. Administrative Law would bypass this and would allow the Village to issue a citation and if after so many days the fine wasn’t paid, it would be turned over to the Administrative Law Judge (chosen by the Village) who would then listen to the case and decide the outcome. The Ordinance Committee will continue to work with Davis on this proposal.
- C) Jo Daviess County Hazard Mitigation Planning Committee – Ruth Foley stated that she, Ron Duerr and Clerk Townsend went over the information and updated the original Scales Mound Village Board Members received copies of the updates for review. She explained that if the Village keeps up the reports and remains in contact, they will be eligible for FEMA assistance if ever needed going forward. L. Duerr moved, Trebian seconded to approve the updated reports and to send them back to the Planning Committee. All voted aye. Foley will submit the reports.
- D) Any Update from Committee Re: Policy Change on Utility Hookup Fees – Nothing at this time.
OTHER COMMITTEE REPORTS
- A) Finance – Review Proposed Tax Levy Ordinance – the ordinance was reviewed. Action will be taken under New Business on the Agenda.
- B) Park & Special Projects – No Report
- C) Public Events & Safety – No Report
- D) Trees & Sidewalks – No Report
- E) Ordinance/Policy – 1) Adult-Use Cannabis Ordinance Discussion – a brief discussion was held. Davis stated that if the Village is going to allow it, rules need to be put in place. He believes the Village should place a tax on sales. It was agreed Jim should talk to Attorney Kurt for advice.
- F) Stone House Committee Pro Tem – it was agreed to wait until Spring for any further action.
- G) TIF/Subdivision Committee Pro Tem – 1) Update on Procedure to Extend TIF Duration – Nothing further at this time.
- A) Action on Tax Levy Ordinance – There being no further discussion – Foley moved, J. Duerr seconded to pass and approve the Tax Levy Ordinance for the levy and assessment of taxes for the current fiscal year in the amount of $28,790.00. On roll call vote, all voted aye. The ordinance will be posted and filed with the County Clerk as required.
- B) Jo Daviess County Animal Control Dept. Agreement 12/1/19 – 11/30/20 – Annual Fee – Clerk Townsend reported that this year a $900 annual fee for services is being imposed. President Davis stated his feelings are that Animal Control is being funded by taxpayers, and since the residents of the Village are taxpayers, they should not be paying twice for this service. There was no action taken on the Agreement.
- C) Christmas Bonuses – Foley moved, J. Duerr seconded to pay Scales Mound Bucks as follows: Ron Duerr – $250; Steve Stadel – $200; Margaret Townsend $200; Joe Lee, Zoning Administrator – $50; Ruth Foley, Ambulance Board Rep. – $50. On roll call vote, all voted aye.
Minutes – Regular Meeting, November 25, 2019 – Page 3
- D) Other – None
BRAINSTORMING – Nothing
- Duerr moved, Foley seconded to enter into Closed Session at 7:45 p.m. as allowed by Open Meeting Law, Sec. 2 (C )1 to discuss Personnel (salaries). On roll call vote, all voted aye.
Foley moved, J. Duerr seconded to return to Open Session at 8:09 p.m. On roll call vote, all voted aye.
President Davis called for action resulting from the Closed Session. J. Duerr moved to give Ron Duerr a 2% cost of living salary increase effective January 1, 2020. On roll call vote, all voted aye.
Foley moved, Trebian seconded that the meeting be adjourned at 8:15 p.m. All voted aye.
These Minutes are subject to approval at the next Regular Board Meeting. Minutes are also available online at www.scalesmound.com