Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees

Stone House

February 26, 2024

7:00 P.M.

The Regular Meeting of the President and Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, February 26, 2024. Members present were Nicole Winter, John Duerr, Ruth Foley, Scott Ohms, Kristy Schueller, and Janet Werner. Village Clerk Deven Morgensen, Village Treasurer Steve Stadel, Ron Duerr, Dave Carscallen, Stephen Olson, and Steve Winter were also present. Trustee, Garrett Hillary was absent.

Stephen Olson, owner of Water Run LLC, presented a new mobile app to track water systems. The app would provide data for reporting, maintenance logs, and statistics. Olson discussed features, pricing, onboarding, and launch date.

Werner moved, Schueller seconded that the minutes of the January 29, 2024, regular meeting be approved as read. All voted aye. Schueller moved, Ohms seconded that the minutes of the February 19, 2024, Public Events/Safety Committee meeting minutes be approved as read. All voted aye.

The Treasurer’s Report was reviewed. Duerr moved; Schueller seconded to accept the Treasurer’s Report as presented and to place it on file. On roll call vote, all voted aye. Treasurer Stadel to share the username and password with President Winter and Clerk Morgensen.

The monthly bills were reviewed. Schueller moved, Werner seconded that the February bills be approved for payment. On roll call vote, all voted aye.


A) Citizens Comments – Schueller reported that Michelle Schueller had a large amount of rock and debris in her yard from the snowplow.

B) S.M. Chamber1) Stadel reported that the Chamber is hosting a Music Fest in June. Stadel was unaware of a date for the Village Board and Chamber to meet regarding the Christmas Lights. President Winter will follow up with Melissa Dittmar on a date.

C) Contact Us Submissions1) Ray Porter requested he no longer be charged for sewer and garbage to the lot he purchased. Schueller motioned; Ohms seconded to remove the sewer and garbage rate from this lot. All voted aye. 2) Multiple residents have requested 90-gallon garbage and recycling totes. The requests are being relayed to Montgomery Trucking as they are received. 3) A complaint was received regarding the dogs at the property of Nathan Hesselbacher not being contained properly and defecating on properties nearby without being cleaned up.

D) Other – None.


1) A check was received for the tickets and court appearances. 2) President Winter is checking on the Ware building continued violations. Ware proposed to President Winter that if he paid the Village $2,500 and the property liens were removed, he would sell the building. Schueller motioned; Ohms seconded to remove the property liens with the stipulation that the property be sold in ninety (90) days. On roll call vote, all voted aye. 4) The board discussed new violations that need to be addressed.


A) Monthly Report1) Ron Duerr reported that the manhole is almost complete and will be replaced. Once complete, the SCADA system will be worked on and finalized. Ron Duerr reported that there was a water backup incident near the park due to the drainpipe being plugged.


A) Report – The board discussed that the inspection report for the Stier property had not yet been received. Carscallen reported that he had one permit approved since the last meeting. President Winter provided Carscallen with the permit application that was dropped off at the Stone House prior to the start this meeting.


A) Other Stone House Repairs – Update from Scott Ohms – Ohms fixed the lighting in the upstairs hallway of the Stone House and is still looking into the outlets.

B) Stone House Gutter Purchase – The gutter company installed the gutters at the Town Hall rather than the Stone House (Village Hall). Foley moved; Werner seconded to proceed with having the gutters added to the Stone House at the newly quoted price of $2,161.37. On roll call vote, all voted aye.

C) Emergency Plan Update – Foley will provide the article for the Visitor to the board.

D) Wage Increase Proposal for Village President and Board Members – President Winter provided a calendar of duties she completed over the span of two (2) months. President Winter also provided the board with surrounding town/village data for wages. Foley moved; Werner seconded to increase wages for the Village President to $2,000 annually, $75 for each regular meeting attended, and $65 for each additional meeting attended and Board Members increase to $50 for each regular meeting attended, and $45 for each additional meeting attended effective after the 2025 election. On roll call vote, all voted aye.

E) Increase ComEd Street Lights – Ohms met with the ComEd rep, David to go over the street light plan. President Winter received the April 2024 contract.

F) Addition of Street Mirrors – The street mirrors were received, and Ohms is researching how to install them. Ohms will contact PCI regarding the mirror for Clark Ave.

G) Physical Ordinance Books – Village board members who do not use their physical ordinance books returned them to Clerk Morgensen. Physical copies will be redistributed to Zoning board members.

H) Water/Sewer/Garbage Rates – The Sewer/Water committee will meet to discuss suggestions for new rates.

I) FEMA – OHS – Local Fire Departments and Mayors met to establish a response plan for if there are asylum seekers in Jo Daviess County.


A) Street/Maintenance – None.

B) Sewer/Water 1) Lead Service Line Update – Ron Duerr will send Clerk Morgensen the most up to date list.

C) Finance – None.

D) Park & Special Projects – None.

E) Public Events & Safety – None.

F) Trees & Sidewalks – President Winter requested this committee meet.

G) Ordinance/Policy – None.

H) Other – None.


A) Easter Party – The Easter Party will be hosted by the Village on March 24, 2024, from 4 PM – 5PM. The party has been advertised and the public events & safety committee is working on goodie bags and filling eggs.

B) Sharps Container – Jo Daviess County Health Department requested the Village put out a sharps container for residents to properly dispose of sharps. The container would not cost the Village. President Winter is confirming that the container would be outside.

C) May Mayor Meeting – The host of the mayor meeting rotates monthly. The host town/village covers the cost of the meal provided. President Winter will work with Southside to host in May.

E) Garage Sales – Clerk Morgensen will work with Shullsburg to have community garage sales on the same dates.

F) Other 1) Ron Duerr recommended the Water/Sewer committee meet. 2) US Cellular contacted the village requesting a new contract that would allow them to sublease. With a new contract that allows them to sublease, the village would receive 35% revenue share.


A) Retention rates for documents were discussed, but no action was taken.


ADJOURNMENT – Werner moved; Ohms seconded that the Meeting be adjourned at 9:28. All voted aye.

These Minutes were prepared by Village Clerk, Deven Morgensen.

These Minutes are subject to approval at the next Regular Board Meeting. Minutes are also available online at


Village President

ATTEST: ________________________________________

Village Clerk