Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees

Stone House

March 27, 2023

7:00 P.M.

The Regular Meeting of the President and Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, March 23, 2023 by President Davis. Members present were Nicole Busch, John Duerr, Ruth Foley, Dan Wenzel and Nathan Wills. Member Janet Werner was absent. Also present were Steve Stadel, Village Treasurer, Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk, Ron Duerr, Carrie Stier and Garrett Hillary.

Duerr moved, Foley seconded that the Minutes of the February 27, 2023 Regular Meeting be approved as read. All voted aye.

The Treasurer’s Report was reviewed. A) Update on Utility Billing for High Point Apartments – personnel from High Point Apartments responded to the letter they received, asked for copies of the invoices and stated they would get the invoices in their system and get them paid. One check has been received from them to date. B) Update on Auditing Firm – Stadel has reached out to the person he spoke of but has not heard back. Nicole Busch stated she is working on getting through to Scott Roberts regarding the delinquency of the Audit.

The March bills were reviewed. Foley moved, Wills seconded that the March bills be approved for payment. On roll call vote, all voted aye.


A) S.M. Chamber – No Report

B) Congratulations to Scales Mound Hornets/Boys Basketball Team – Congratulatory Ads were put in Local Newspapers – Congratulations to everyone involved on a great season and second place in the State.

C) Other – Nothing


A) Monthly Report – 1) Update on SCADA System – Nothing new to report. 2) Update on Lead Pipe Inspection – Ron stated there might be some money through EPA to help with the inspections which have to be done sometime in 2024. 3) Duerr also informed the Board about an incident involving a plastic tube under Main Street. Apparently leaves had been burned at the end of the tube and the fire went on through the tube and eventually it was burned bad enough that the tube and the road collapsed. Clerk Townsend will publish the burning regulations in The Weekly Visitor to remind residents that burning should not be done near the end of the drainage tubes nor on the edge of the streets.

B) Operation/Maintenance/Streets Committee – No Report

C) Sewer & Water Operations Committee – No Report

ZONING – No Report

ORDINANCE VIOLATIONS/ADMINISTRATIVE LAW – Nicole Busch stated she had spoken with Wayne (Artie) Moyer today and he will be working with personnel of the city of East Dubuque to get trained.


A) Front Porch on Stone House – Update – President Davis stated he has spoken with the architect, Baranski, and sent pictures to him today. The porch will probably not be done before the Celebration.

B) Discussion on Options for Other Garbage/Recycling Collection Companies a short discussion was held on exactly what the Board is looking for (if they service this area and prices).

C) Other – Lawn Mower Bids – Dan Wenzel made the comment that the lawnmower needs to be advertised now so the bids can be opened at the April Regular Board Meeting. Ron and Dan will get the bid together, take

Minutes – Regular Meeting, March 27, 2023 – Page 2

some pictures and determine a time for interested parties to come and inspect it. Dan will get the information to Nicole to put on social media.


A) Finance – It was agreed that the Board needs to look seriously into finding a Municipal Auditor who is going to get the work done on a timely basis.

B) Park & Special Projects – 1) A request was presented from someone who wants to put a memorial for her mom in the park. The following suggestions were made: a tree, a new piece of playground equipment, or, there is a very old bench by the lower playground equipment that could be replaced. Janet Werner will relay the message. 2) It was reported that the walls and stalls in the restrooms at the Town Hall have been painted. With the work on the floors being completed and now the painting, the restrooms look very nice. Nicole discussed the work that was agreed to be done on the sidewalk by the restrooms. That will be looked into. 3) Loose ends to tie up before the celebration – the wooden toys need to be looked at and repaired – Jim will ask Terry Wienen if he will go over them. A semi load of mulch will be brough in the first week in May, the wiring on the Bandstand needs to be fixed, and, the old jail needs to be painted and either fix or replace the door. Nicole will look into locating some signs for various events and places.

C) Public Events & Safety – 1) 170th Celebration Update – things are moving along, the next meetings are scheduled for April 11th, May 3rd and May 31st at 6:00 p.m. 2) Finalized Plans for Easter Party – The party is scheduled for 4:00 p.m. on Sunday, April 2nd at the Town Hall. Board Members are welcome to attend and bring cookies to share.

D) Trees & Sidewalks – No Report.

E) Ordinance/Policy – Possible Action on Proposed Policy/Procedure Handbook – Davis presented the

completed “handbook” and discussion was held on what the title of it should be. It was agreed to call it a “Quick Reference Guide to Frequently Used Ordinances & Policies”. Foley moved Duerr seconded to accept the document as presented. All voted aye. Clerk Townsend will see that the document is put on the Village website and will make a reference to it in The Weekly Visitor. Thanks to Jim and Ruth for putting it together.


BRAINSTORMING – Clerk Townsend reminded everyone to vote in the upcoming election on April 4th.


ADJOURNMENT – Duerr moved, Wills seconded that the Meeting be adjourned at 8:05 p.m. All voted aye.

These Minutes are subject to approval at the next Regular Board Meeting. Minutes are also available online at


Village President

ATTEST: _____________________________________

Village Clerk