Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees

October 24, 2022

Stone House

7:00 P.M.

The Regular Meeting of the President and Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, October 24, 2022 by President Davis. Members present were Nicole Busch, Dan Wenzel, Ruth Foley, and Janet Werner. Member John Duerr was absent. Also present were Steve Stadel, Village Treasurer, Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk and Ron Duerr.

Werner moved, Busch seconded that the Minutes of the September 26, 2022 Regular Meeting be approved as read. All voted aye.

The Treasurer’s Report was reviewed. Foley moved, Werner seconded to accept the Treasurer’s Report as presented and to place it on file. All voted aye. Steve reported that the Village’s Auditor was at his office today to pick up the paperwork so they can get caught up on the delinquent audits.

The October bills were reviewed. Two bills were added, one in the amount of $11,500 (out of TIF Funds) to Scales Mound School for the cost share of the drainage pipe installation; and one in the amount of $168 to Gary Saam Construction. Busch moved, Werner seconded that the October bills, with the two additions, be approved for payment. On roll call vote, all voted aye. Davis commented that approximately $80,000 is still owed on SCADA. He also complimented Ron Duerr on the nice job he is doing getting the room at the Pump House prepared for the SCADA equipment.


A) S.M. Chamber – (1) Annual Christmas Party Information – The party will be held on Sunday, November 27th at the Town Hall. The tree will be lit this year by the 3 recently retiring business couples, Chuck & Susie Davis, Pat & Sheila Ohms and Marv & JoAnn Schultz. The No Worries band will be providing a Christmas sing-a-long. (2) Steve Stadel mentioned that the Chamber has decided to take over United Parcel Service (UPS) on a trial basis for a year. It will stay in One Formula’s name. The Chamber will ask for a donation from those using the service.

Board Member Nathan Wills entered the meeting at 7:15 p.m.

B) Mediacom Letter – Rate Adjustment – A letter was received from Mediacom stating “that on or about November 15, 2022 Mediacom will be implementing programming changes and rate adjustments.”

C) Other – Nothing


A) Monthly Report – 1) Update on SCADA System – Ron reported they are waiting on one pump for the system and two shelves. There are still some wires that need to be run. (2) Other – The Lift Station was pumped today and they found plastic grocery bags in the debris. Obviously, people are still flushing items that should not be flushed. Residents are asked to be conscious of what they are flushing down the toilets as everything passes through the lift station; the flushable stuff goes on through, the non-flushable items get stuck at the pumps and cause damage to the pumps and are costly to remove. (3) Ron is getting the truck ready for winter. He would like residents reminded that they should not park on the streets as that makes it difficult for plowing the snow. (4) The new mower is in and will be delivered soon. We should advertise for sealed bids on the old mower.

Minutes – Regular Meeting, October 24, 2022 – Page 2

B) Operation/Maintenance/Streets Committee Report – No Report

C) Sewer & Water Operations Committee Report – No Report

ZONING – No Report

ORDINANCE VIOLATIONS – A short discussion was made on Administrative Law. A question was asked if the printer could be kept at the Stone House and have someone here print the citations and get them to the offender. Someone would have to be designated to deliver the citations. No decisions were made.


A) FFA Color Run – The Color Run idea has been “scratched” at this time.

B) Front Porch on Stone House – Davis will contact Jim Baranski

C) Reminder – Time to Circulate Petitions Is Now – Clerk Townsend again reminded that petitions for the April 4, 2023 Consolidated Election can be picked up from her now by calling 815-845-2240. The petitions can be circulated now and are to be filed back with her between December 12th and 19th, 2022. There are 5 seats open.

D) Other – The lead pipe inspections still need to be done.


A) Finance – Preliminary Discussion on Tax Levy Ordinance/Timeframe – Ruth Foley agreed to put together preliminary figures for the Tax Levy for review at the November Board Meeting.

B) Park & Special Projects – It was reported the basketball court has been recoated and the lines will be painted on soon; the sidewalks will be put in next Spring; and, PCI will come and look at the electricity in the Bandstand. It was suggested that the restrooms at the Town Hall be updated. Davis will talk with Steve Stadel regarding this matter as the cost is shared between the Village and the Township. Several names of contractors were suggested to do some of these smaller jobs.

C) Public Events & Safety – 170th Celebration Update – the next meeting is scheduled for November 30th. Clerk Townsend asked if the Board would be interested in holding an Open House at the Stone House during the Celebration. No decisions were made.

D) Trees & Sidewalks – Ruth Foley – New Information on Availability of Trees – Ruth had received information from Jeremy Soppe about a tree service he had run across near Platteville, WI. The trees come in large pots and run about $150.00 or a larger one for $185.00. After discussion, Ruth was asked to contact Soppe regarding size, species and cost to plant. Discussion to continue next month.

E) Ordinance/Policy – No Report




ADJOURNMENT – Foley moved, Wills seconded that the meeting be adjourned at 8:25 p.m. All voted aye.

These Minutes are subject to approval at the next Regular Board Meeting. Minutes are also available online at



Village President

ATTEST: ______________________________________

Village Clerk