Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees

Stone House

September 26, 2022

7:00 P.M.

The meeting was not called to order at 7:00 p.m. as there was not a quorum of members present. Those present were Ruth Foley and Janet Werner. Also present were Jim Davis, Village President, Steve Stadel, Village Treasurer, Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk, and Dave Hoftender. Davis stated he would wait a few minutes to see if other Board Members would arrive.

Davis made a comment to Dave Hoftender regarding the drainage project at the school, stating that the Village has a hard time spending public funds on private projects; however, the Village could possibly fulfill the request of the school district by considering it a TIF project with the determination that the Village is trying to mitigate the flooding within the Village and this undoubtably would help. As the property is in the TIF District and the Board has more latitude with TIF funds, the TIF funds could be used on private property in this scenario.

Nathan Wills entered the meeting at 7:20 p.m. President Davis called the meeting to order at 7:21 p.m. Members present were Ruth Foley, Janet Werner and Nathan Wills. Members absent were Nicole Busch, John Duerr and Daniel Wenzel. Also present were Jim Davis, Village President, Steve Stadel, Village Treasurer, Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk, Dave Hoftender and Ron Duerr. (A quorum was realized with President Davis being present.)

Foley moved, Werner seconded that the Minutes of the August 29, 2022 Regular Meeting be approved as read. All voted aye.

The Treasurer’s Report was reviewed. Steve Stadel reported: 1) he invested $400,000 at 1.75% for 11 months; 2) additional funds from the Rebuild Illinois and the American Rescue Plan projects were received. Wills moved, Foley seconded to accept the Treasurer’s Report as presented and to place it on file. All voted aye.

The September bills were reviewed. Foley moved, Werner seconded that the September bills be approved for payment. On roll call vote, all voted aye.


A) S.M. Chamber – No Report

B) Other – Nothing


A) Monthly Report – 1) Update on SCADA – Everything is done in the perimeter; they are working on the Chlorination Room in the Pump House (paneling, insulation, heater, etc.) where the SCADA system will be housed. They are looking for someone to tap the main to put in the injectors. 2) Other – Nothing

B) Operation/Maintenance/Streets Committee – No Report

C) Sewer & Water Operations Committee – No Report

ZONING – Nothing



A) Discussion/Possible Action on Request from School Regarding Sharing the Cost of Drainage Tube Recently

Minutes – Regular Meeting, September 26, 2022 – Page 2

Installed – Due to the lack of a quorum of Board Members eligible to discuss TIF matters, it was agreed that at the end of tonight’s meeting, the Board would recess to Wednesday, September 28, 2022 at 6:00 p.m.

at the Stone House to further discuss and possibly act on the request of the School District to share the cost of the recent drain tube replacement on the school’s property. At that time, Board Member Nicole Busch will join the recessed meeting remotely.

B) Has FFA Set Date and Time for Color Run – Werner reported the Color Run is being planned for later in October and they may connect it to a Halloween theme. More details to come.

C) Dan Wenzel – Bat Houses – Dan was not in attendance at the meeting.

D) Front Porch at Stone House – Davis will check with architect Baranski for guidelines.

E) Reminder – Time to Circulate Petitions Is Now – Clerk Townsend reminded everyone that petitions for the April 4, 2023 Consolidated Election can be picked up from her now by calling 815-845-2240. The petitions can be circulated now and are to be filed back with her between December 12th and 19th, 2022. To date, only one set of papers has been taken out.

F) Other – Nothing


A) Finance – No Report

B) Park & Special Projects– The train and other wooden toys at the park have been stained and the basketball court will be resurfaced this week. Jim Davis will contact Dale at PCI regarding checking out the electricity at the Bandstand.

C) Public Events & Safety – 1) Halloween Trick or Treat – Set Day & Time – It was agreed to set Trick or Treat time at 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Monday, October 31, 2022. Notice will be published on social media. 2)

170th Celebration Update – Save the Date on FB – 06/10/23 – the Committee has put out information on social media to “save the date of June 10, 2023 for the 170th Celebration” so people can make plans to attend. They are working on selling ads; and, the next meeting is scheduled for November 30th.

D) Trees & Sidewalks – Anything New on CN America in Bloom Program – After a brief discussion, it was agreed to not participate in the CN Railroad America in Bloom program because of costs, but instead to go with bare root trees for replacement trees. Davis also stated he would like to see the evergreen trees on the east side of the park lowered down instead of removing them. It was mentioned that the sidewalk that was replaced at Kyle Goodwin’s house needs to be measured for reimbursement purposes.

E) Ordinance/Policy – No Report


A) Reminder – October Meeting will be Monday, October24, 2022 due to Halloween Falling on Monday, the 31st – The October Regular Board Meeting will be Monday. October 24, 2022 at 7:00 p.m. at the Stone House.

B) Other – Nothing

BRAINSTORMING – Ruth Foley stated she recalled Jim Davis talking about putting together a policy book. Davis agreed and stated he and Clerk Townsend will work on that this winter.


ADJOURNMENT/RECESS – Foley moved, Werner seconded that the meeting be recessed at 8:30 p.m. to Wednesday, September 28, 2022 at 6:00 p.m. at the Stone House at which time Board Member Nicole Busch has agreed to join the meeting remotely. All voted aye.

Minutes – Regular Meeting, September 26, 2022 and Recessed Meeting, September 28, 2022 – Page 3

Recessed Meeting, September 28, 2022 – 6:00 P.M.

The recessed Meeting of the Scales Mound Village President and Board of Trustees was called to order at 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday, September 28, 2022 by President Davis. Members present were Nicole Busch (remotely), John Duerr, Ruth Foley, Daniel Wenzel and Janet Werner. Member Nathan Wills was absent. Also present were Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk and Ron Duerr.

The purpose of this meeting was to discuss and possibly act on the request from Scales Mound School District that the Village Board consider paying one half of the $23,193 cost to replace the part of the drainage tile running south to the end of the school property which was not replaced in the 2021 construction project as it was believed it could withstand more years of service. Unfortunately, that stretch collapsed shortly before the start of this school year creating an unexpected cost to the school. At the time of the 2021 construction project, the Village had run a new 400’ drainage tile from Clark Avenue straight south to the end of the school property with the hope that it, along with the drainage work the school was doing, would help to mitigate the flooding problems which had been experienced in the past by both the Village and the School.

The Board previously had the opportunity to look over the Jo Daviess County Multi-Jurisdictional All Hazard Mitigation Plan Update which included a section on Scales Mound’s Mitigation Plan. Davis explained that TIF money does qualify to be used for help with flood mitigation. After further discussion regarding what did and did not happen and what could or should have happened and how this will undoubtedly help in the overall mitigation for the Village, Davis called for a motion. Werner moved, Wenzel seconded to pay $11,500 from TIF funds in answer to Scales Mound School’s request for cost sharing of the drainage project. On roll call vote, Foley, aye; Duerr, abstain; Busch, aye; Werner, aye; Wenzel, aye. Motion carried. President Davis agreed to meet with the President of the School Board to discuss the action of the Village Board.

Regarding another item which had been on the September Agenda, Dan Wenzel stated he has installed a bat house near the railroad tracks in hopes that it will draw the bats away from the school property.


Foley moved, Duerr seconded that the meeting be adjourned at 6:35 p.m. All voted aye.

These Minutes are subject to approval at the next Regular Board Meeting. Minutes are also available online at


Village President

ATTEST: ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­___________________________________________

Village Clerk