Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees

Stone House

December 27, 2021

7:00 P.M.

The Regular Meeting of the President and Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, December 27, 2021 by President Davis.  Members present were Nicole Busch, John Duerr, Ruth Foley and Janet Werner.  Member Nathan Wills was absent.  Also present were Steve Stadel, Village Treasurer, Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk, Ron Duerr and Brandon Behlke.

Foley moved, Duerr seconded to add “Holland/Wienen Petition to Annex” to the Agenda under New Business.  All voted aye.

Werner moved, Foley seconded that the Minutes of the November 29, 2021 Regular Meeting be approved as read.  All voted aye.

The Treasurer’s Report was reviewed.  Steve Stadel discussed with the Board the transfers he has made from Sewer and Water, etc. to the General Fund.  He stated the bank account was set up years ago as one general account with many sub-accounts kept on a ledger.  When funds come in they are put in a savings account and then during the fiscal year transfers are made to the correct sub-accounts and the General Account.  He has been making those transfers the past couple of months to prepare for the Audit.  John Duerr asked if the annual cost of living adjustment for Ron Duerr is automatically done.  Clerk Townsend will check the Employment Agreement for wording and get the information to Stadel.  Busch moved, Duerr seconded to accept the Treasurer’s Report as presented and to place it on file.  All voted aye.

The December bills were reviewed.  Duerr moved, Werner seconded that the December bills be approved for payment.  On roll call vote, all voted aye.


A) S.M. Chamber – The delivering of the Christmas goodie bags by the Fire Department went well.

B) Notice from ComEd Regarding Upcoming Tree Trimming (Ash Trees) – ComEd will continue their ash tree mitigation in this area within the next few months. This is “a proactive component of ComEd’s maintenance program to ensure system reliability”. For trees located on private property, all customers have been notified.

C) ComEd Letter – Introducing New External Affairs Manager – Nick Escobar will be the new External Affairs Manager for this area replacing Thomas Przytulski who is taking on the role of Legislative Affairs Manager. Nick has actually worked in the Dixon and Freeport areas in the past so is somewhat familiar with the area.

D) Mediacom Letter Regarding Rate Adjustments & Programming Changes – the letter was notification that on or about January 1, 2022, Mediacom will be implementing programming changes and rate adjustments.

E) Other – Nothing


A) Monthly Report – Ron Duerr informed the Board: 1) that there was storm damage done to a structure (the chlorine chamber) which is down behind the ponds. He and President Davis are working

Minutes – Regular Meeting, December 27, 2021 – Page 2

to get it repaired.  2) The Lift Station needs pumping again as it being backed up with wipes.  It has been just 2 months since the last pumping.  Davis stated this is not just a problem to Scales Mound but it is all over the United States.  No matter what it says on the package, NO wipe is flushable.  Municipalities with larger facilities have added screens to collect the wipes, but the Village’s lift station is not large enough for that.  Those that have installed the screens still have to clean those screens.  3) Ron was asked how the truck is running.  He stated it is scheduled to be worked on tomorrow, Tuesday, December 28th.  A short discussion was held on looking for a different truck in the not too distant future

B) Operation/Maintenance/Streets Committee Report – Nothing

C) Sewer & Water Operations Committee Report – There was no Committee Report but Ron Duerr stated he would like to set up a meeting with the committee to look at the condition of the buildings and also to get started on a program to set up inspection of service lines to each home in the community to check for lead pipes. They also need to do the annual review of sewer and water rates. It was agreed to set a combined meeting of the Sewer & Water Operations Committee and the Finance Committee on Wednesday, January 5th, 2022 at 5:00 p.m. at the Stone House.


President Davis presented Building Permit applications and fees for the following:  1) Bret Morgenson for a fence; 2) Kevin & Staci Duerr for a new garage; 3) Arrow Solar Solutions/Apple River State Bank for solar panels; and, 4) Arrow Solar Solutions/Lucy Auen for solar panels.  These have all been approved by Joe Lee, Zoning Administrator.



A) Update on Administrative Law – Davis reported everything is ready to go.

B) Update on SCADA System – Ron Duerr stated he spoke with Brian at Fehr Graham and he said he is hoping to get all the necessary parts and get the system up and running in February or March.

C) Update on Internet Installation – Ron Duerr reported the installers have moved out of the Village until spring as there is too much frost in the ground for them to continue at this time. They were working on part of Franklin Street residences so have a good part of the north side of the Village done.

D) Filling Board Vacancy – A name was given and President Davis will contact that person.

E) Other – 1) President Davis is working with Bridgette Stocks of Fehr Graham to be sure the Village is compliant in applying for the various funds available through the legislation resulting from COVID, especially the CARES program.  2) Steve Stadel, in regard to the Town Hall roof, stated the information was given to the roofers and they will replace the roofing as weather allows.


A) Finance – Committee will met on January 5, 2022 to review sewer and water rates.

B) Park & Special Projects – Committee will work with Ron on placement for the 3 benches. The High Point Cruisers Car Club would like theirs placed by the pavilion if possible.

C) Public Events & Safety – Committee plans to meet in January to start work on the 175th Celebration which will be held in 2023.

D) Trees & Sidewalks – Ruth Foley stated letters to residents regarding trees will go out in January and a notice will also be placed in The Weekly Visitor.

Minutes – Regular Meeting, December 27, 2021 – Page 3

E) Ordinance/Policy – No Report


A) Holland/Wienen Annexation Petition – Davis stated he has the Petition to Annex but does not have the Annexation Agreement. After he discussed with the Board the information he had received from Attorney Kurt and Matt Keegan, TIF Attorney, he asked the Board for authorization to sign the documents.  Foley moved, Duerr seconded to authorize President Davis to sign both documents once he has received the Annexation Agreement.  All voted aye.

B) Other – Sleigh Riding Hill – John Duerr asked a question about the street which is normally blocked off for sleigh riding, wondering if the Board needs to ask permission of the neighbors to block the street. Davis stated that every house on that street has a second entrance to get into their property.  When questioned, he explained that the reason the Board asks the neighbors to sign off when other streets have been blocked off for a period of time is because of the noise factor.  He stated all of those properties have had a second entrance to their property as well.  Ruth Foley suggested the insurance company be contacted for liability information.  The consensus of the Board was to continue to block off the street and to not investigate further.




Foley moved, Duerr seconded that the meeting be adjourned at 8:37 p.m.  All voted aye.

These Minutes are subject to approval at the next Regular Board Meeting.  Minutes are also available online at



Village President

ATTEST:  ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­_________________________________

Village Clerk