Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees

Stone House

July 26, 2021

7:00 P.M.

The Regular Meeting of the President and Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, July 26, 2021 by President Davis.  Members present were Nicole Busch, John Duerr, Ruth Foley and Bernard Trebian.  Also present were Steve Stadel, Village Treasurer, Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk, Ron Duerr, Brandon Behlke and Wyatt Anderson.

Seating of appointed Board Members was tabled to later on the Agenda.

Foley moved, Busch seconded that the Minutes of the June 28, 2021 Regular Meeting, both Open and Closed Sessions, be approved as read.  All voted aye.

The Treasurer’s Report was reviewed.  Trebian moved, Duerr seconded to accept the Treasurer’s Report as presented and to place it on file.  All voted aye.

Discussion was held on delinquent utility bills.  It was agreed to turn over the names of the three accounts on the list that are more than three months past due to Ron Duerr.  Ron will proceed to notify those persons and to turn off the service if they do not respond to the notice.

The July bills were reviewed.  Steve Stadel explained that the $450 check to the SMFPD came about because Packard wrote a $500 check to the Village, $50 was to go to the Village for water and $450 was a donation to the Fire Department.  Trebian moved, Duerr seconded that the July bills with the addition of one to Shari Hilliary in the amount of $70.00 for cleaning at the Stone House, be approved for payment.  On roll call vote, all voted aye.


A) S.M. Chamber – Nothing

B) Other – Nothing


A) Monthly Report – Ron Duerr reported: 1) the truck is laid up and is being worked on by Jeremy Soppe; 2) He would like to look into the cost to spray the big pond at the Lagoon Site as there is a large amount of Duckweed. There were no objections from the Board, 3) there is a water pump that came with the Polaris that he is not using.  He was wondering about giving it back to the Fire Department to see if they can sell it.  He previously purchased a 15 gallon sprayer to use for spraying weeds.  After discussion, it was agreed that Ron should get the proper fittings for the larger pump and use it as it would be more effective/efficient for spraying the ponds.

B) Operation/Maintenance/Streets Committee Report – No Report

C) Sewer & Water Operations Committee Report – No Report



Minutes – Regular Meeting, July 26, 2021 – Page 2


A) Action on Administrative Law Ordinances – Tabled to August Regular Board meeting as the paperwork has not been received from the Attorney’s office.

B) Action on Agreement with Fehr Graham for Professional Services Regarding SCADA – Davis is still working out details on SCADA.

C) Bridgette Stocks – Grants for SCADA System – Foley will see if Bridgette can come to the August Regular Board Meeting.

D) Dittmar Loan is Finalized – Nicole Busch reported she has set up an account at Apple River State Bank for the Dittmar’s to deposit their payments. They will be paying interest monthly with a principal payment at the end of the year.

E) Visit from Senator Stewart’s Office – Clerk Townsend – Townsend reported only two people showed up. Connie Marney, District Director of Legislative Affairs with Senator Stewart’s Office was there and she offered to come another time if the Village wanted her to. It was agreed that there was not sufficient notice of the whole event.  There was no interest at this time in having them return.

F) Other – Adopt Rail Safety Week Proclamation – Clerk Townsend read the proposed Proclamation; Busch moved, Foley seconded to adopt the Proclamation dedicating September 20th – 26th as National Rail Safety Week. All voted aye. The Proclamation states that all citizens should recognize the importance of rail safety education.  It will be published in the local paper at the appropriate time.

Nathan Wills entered the Meeting at this time.   Nathan was sworn in as an appointed Board Member to fill a vacancy and was seated.


A) Finance – Nothing further

B) Park & Special Projects – Discussion was held on re-staining the pavilion at the park and also updating the electricity to maybe 4 or more circuits. Davis will coordinate finding someone to hire and to get the work done.

C) Public Events & Safety – No Report

D) Trees & Sidewalks – Clerk Townsend will get a map of the Village to the Committee so they can research possible locations for trees.

E) Ordinance/Policy – No Report

F) Stone House Committee Pro Tem – 1) Update on Construction – The items on the punch list have been completed. Suggestions for additional work to be done at the Stone House included scraping and painting window frames on the stone part of the building, scraping and staining the front porch and the front door, using waterproof, luxury vinyl planking for the floor in the front office; blinds, flat screen TV, clock and a new refrigerator for the meeting room. Jim Davis and Ron Duerr will work on finding someone to hire for this work.  The proposed replacement of the front porch will not be done until next year.


A) Action on Appropriation Ordinance #2021-001 – After a final review of the ordinance, Foley moved, Busch seconded to pass and approve Appropriation Ordinance #2021-001 beginning May 1, 2021 and ending April 30, 2022 in the amount of $1,193,750.00. On roll call vote, all voted aye. The ordinance will be filed with the County Clerk and posted as required.

Minutes – Regular Meeting, July 26, 2021 – Page 3

B) Review Closed Session Minutes from the Past 6 Months/Recordings from Prior 18 Months – Foley moved, Duerr seconded that the Closed Session Minutes remain closed to the Public and that recordings from the period prior to 18 months ago be destroyed. On roll call vote, all voted aye.

C) Set Date and Time for TIF Joint Review Board Meeting – Davis is still waiting for necessary paperwork to send out for a meeting.

D) Other – 1) Duerr stated that on Tuesday, August 10th, the Fire Department will be using Main Street in front of the Town Hall to test hoses. 2) At this time, Melissa Dittmar asked permission to close Main Street from Brayman Avenue to North Avenue on Saturday, September 4th for their Customer Appreciation Day at Country House Grocery.  The Board agreed to carry over the previous agreement they had with Pat and Sheila Ohms to the Dittmar’s stating that Melissa needs to check with the neighbors to see if there are any objections.  Melissa also expressed her gratitude to the Board for the loan granted to them to help get their new business off the ground.  The Board wished well to Melissa and Matt in their new venture.


Ron Duerr was given permission to dispose of the old meeting room chairs.


Foley moved, Duerr seconded that the meeting be adjourned at 8:05 p.m.  All voted aye.

These Minutes are subject to approval at the next Regular Board Meeting.  Minutes are also available online at


Village President

ATTEST:  ____________________________________

Village Clerk