Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees

Scales Mound Town Hall, 802 Main Street

May 24, 2021

7:00 P.M.

The Regular Meeting of the President and Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, May 24, by President Davis.  Members present were Nicole Busch, John Duerr, Ruth Foley, and Bernard Trebian.  Also present were Steve Stadel, Village Treasurer, Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk, Ron Duerr and Kirsten Adami.

At this time it was agreed to add Jo Daviess Co. GIS Intergovernmental Agreement to New Business on the Agenda.

Clerk Townsend stated that the Minutes of the April 26, 2021 Regular Meeting need to be corrected as follows:  On Page 2 under Public Hearings/Correspondence, B) Other – Letter from US Cellular, the first two sentences should be deleted and it should read:  A letter was received from John Schirripa, agent for U.S. Cellular regarding the Lease Renewal (extension of terms).  They want to ensure that this cell tower location is part of U.S. Cellular’s future network plans.  Ken Hardin, U.S. Cellular Project Manager for the Scales Mound Lease will be reaching out to the Village  in the coming months to discuss securing additional renewal terms as the current Lease is set to expire October 31, 2026.  President Davis will contact him to further discuss this proposal.  Foley moved, Busch seconded to approve the minutes as amended.  All voted aye.

The Treasurer’s Report was reviewed.  J. Duerr moved, Busch seconded to accept the Treasurer’s Report as presented and to place it on file.  All voted aye.

The May Bills were reviewed.  Discussion was held on the payment to the Thistle Group for the work at the Stone House.  Davis stated the inner door between the two rooms still needs to be done and it will be over and above the project total.  Trebian moved, Foley seconded that the May bills be approved for payment.  On roll call vote, all voted aye.


A) S. M. Chamber – No Report

B) Kirsten Adami – SMASH Fundraiser @ Southside Hornet – Kirsten addressed the Board regarding a fundraiser they would like to hold on Sunday, June 6th from 1 to 5 p.m. at the Southside Hornet. They are asking permission to shut a portion of Clark Avenue from Franklin Street to the end of the Southside Hornet’s property from noon to 6 p.m. They will have live music.  She also asked if the Village would barricade the area.  Ruth moved, Duerr seconded to allow the street to be closed for the SMASH event as requested with the stipulation that they inform the neighboring property owners and there are no objections.  All voted aye.

C) Mediacom – Annual Customer Service Report – Clerk Townsend presented the report and a letter that stated the report is not specific to our area and may not contain any information directly related to Scales Mound, but it is required for them to submit it.

D) Correspondence from DemandStar – Artie Perrault – Assistance with Purchasing – Clerk Townsend presented email correspondence from Artie Perrault of DemandStar, ”a free platform that connects government agencies to a diverse network of suppliers for their upcoming purchasing projects.” The consensus of the Board was that the Village does not use enough “supplies” to be in need of these services. Townsend will relay the message to Mr. Perrault.

E) Other – Nothing

Minutes – Regular Meeting, May 24, 2021 – Page 2


A) Monthly Report – Ron Duerr reported everything is going good. He reported that some road work is needed on the east end of Provost Avenue. It was agreed that the Board could start looking at a replacement lawnmower; however, pricing will likely be better at the end of the mowing season.  Duerr also stated that the pipeline people will no longer be getting water from the Village as they have a larger demand that the Village pumping can’t keep up with so they will be getting it from the Galena River.

B) Operation/Maintenance/Streets Committee Report – No Report

C) Sewer & Water Operations Committee Report – No Report




A) Information on Grants for Infrastructure – Foley – Ruth stated she feels there is money available from the ComEd Funding Program to help with the purchase of the SCADA system. Davis stated that system will cost up to $160,000.

B) Update on Low Interest Rate Loan from Economic Development Funds/Dittmar – No further information on the loan, however John Duerr stated he was told they are waiting on the Federal Liquor License before they move forward.

C) Input on Putting Together a Written Policy for Low Interest Rate Loans – There was no further discussion at this point. Davis stated he would like to have the Finance Committee and the Ordinance/Policy Committee meet soon to work on putting together a policy on low interest rate loans and work on ordinance violations.  It was agreed to set up the committee meetings, Finance Committee at 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday, June 2, 2021 and Ordinance/Policy Committee to follow.  Meetings will be at the Town Hall on Main Street.  Each committee will also discuss filling the two board vacancies.

D) Cleaning at Stone House – Clerk Townsend – Margaret reported she spoke with Shari Hillary about doing a thorough “after construction” cleaning of the Stone House and then continuing on a monthly basis. Hillary stated she is interested in doing the cleaning as well as resuming the monthly cleaning. The Village will notify her when to start.

E) Other – Nothing


A) Finance – No Report

B) Park & Special Projects ­– the base for the light pole at the south west corner of the Town Hall should be delivered soon.

C) Public Events & Safety ­– No Report

D) Trees & Sidewalks – No Report

E) Ordinance/Policy – No Report

F) Stone House Committee Pro Tem- 1) Update on Construction – Davis asked Board Members to put together a punch list of things they see in the new construction at the Stone House that need to be done/corrected.

G) TIF/Subdivision Committee Pro Tem – No Report


A) Set Meeting Dates, Time & Place; Designate DepositoryMeeting Time: 7:00 p.m.; Meeting Location: The Stone House, 309 North Avenue, Scales Mound, IL; Meeting Dates: Monday, May 24,

Minutes – Regular Meeting, May 24, 2021 – Page 3

2021 (due to Memorial Day Holiday); Monday, June 28, 2021; Monday, July 26, 2021; Monday, August 30, 2021; Monday, September 27, 2021; Monday, October 25, 2021; Monday, November 29, 2021; Monday, December 27, 2021; Monday, January 31, 2022; Monday, February 28, 2022; Monday, March 28, 2022; Monday, April 25, 2022; Tuesday, May 31, 2022 (due to Memorial Day Holiday).  Depository: Apple River State Bank, Scales Mound.

B) Appointment & Approval of Clerk, Treasurer, Zoning Administrator, Attorney, and Committees – Davis made the following appointments: Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk; Steve Stadel, Village Treasurer; Joe Lee, Zoning Administrator; Terry Kurt, Attorney. Committees:  (First name on list is chairperson) Street/Maintenance – John Duerr, Ruth Foley, Bernard Trebian; Sewer/Water – Ruth Foley, Bernard Trebian, John Duerr; Finance – Nicole Busch, Ruth Foley, John Duerr; Public Events/Safety – Nicole Busch, John Duerr, Bernard Trebian; Trees/Sidewalks – Bernard Trebian, Ruth Foley, Nicole Busch; Parks/Special Projects – Ruth Foley, Bernard Trebian, Nicole Busch; Ordinance/Policy – John Duerr, Ruth Foley, Nicole Busch.  Trebian moved, Foley seconded to accept all appointments, committees, depository designation and meeting information as listed.  All voted aye.

C) Risk Management Association – Information on Cyber Liability Coverage – Information was received regarding the importance of liability coverage for government computer systems. The Village has no system network. If and when the SCADA system is up and running, coverage will need to be looked into.

D) The HOPE Foundation Community Services Directory – Jo Daviess – Informational material was received on all of the services offered by the Jo Daviess County HOPE Foundation Community.

E) Other – Jo Daviess County GIS Intergovernmental Agreement – Jo Daviess County is once again having an aerial flight done of the county and is offering the municipalities in the county to cost share in the project and obtain “excellent Orthophotography at a significant cost savings”. Scales Mound has participated in the past. The cost to the Village for 4 digital files will be $65.40.  Foley moved, Duerr seconded to enter into the Intergovernmental Agreement with Jo Daviess County.  All voted aye.

At this time Nathan Wills addressed the Board stating that he is interested in becoming a Board Member to fill one of the two vacant seats and is asking to be considered for appointment.  The Board will be considering filling the vacancies at the June Regular Board Meeting.



ADJOURNMENT – Duerr moved, Foley seconded that the meeting be adjourned at 8:07 p.m.  All voted aye.

These Minutes are subject to approval at the next Regular Board Meeting.  Minutes are also available online at


Village President

ATTEST:  ___________________________________

Village Clerk