Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees

Scales Mound Town Hall

September 28, 2020

7:00 P.M.

The Regular Meeting of the President and Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, September 28, 2020 by President Davis.  Members present were Nicole Busch, Shannon Driscoll, John Duerr, Lindsey Duerr, Ruth Foley and Bernard Trebian.  Also present were Steve Stadel, Village Treasurer, Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk, Ron Duerr and Brandon Behlke.

L. Duerr moved, Driscoll seconded that the Minutes of the August 31, 2020 Regular Meeting be approved as read. All voted aye.

The Treasurer’s Report was reviewed.  Steve Stadel pointed out to the Board that he has not yet had the authorization from the Auditors to transfer the funds which had been expended in fiscal year 2018/2019 back into the General Fund, so in actuality, the TIF Fund is $30,000 lower than it shows.  Driscoll moved, Trebian seconded to accept the Treasurer’s Report as presented and to place it on file.  All voted aye.

The September bills were reviewed.  Steve Stadel: 1) stated that the doors on the restrooms at the Town Hall have been replaced and the Village’s share (1/2 of the cost) is $2,672.00; 2) asked what the intended use of the Economic Development funds is.  It was explained that when the fund was started, thoughts were to use it for improvements within the Village, or perhaps to see if there might be a way to provide a less expensive internet service locally to the residents of the Village, or maybe set up a low interest loan program for a small business locating in the Village.; 3) told the Board he was able to get Mediacom internet installed back into the Town Hall today.  There is a new modem but a router is still needed.  It was agreed that the Village and Scales Mound Township split the cost of the router.  Steve will get the router and have the internet up and running by Election Day.  J. Duerr moved, Trebian seconded that the September bills be approved for payment.  On roll call vote, all voted aye.


A) S.M. Chamber – Plans are to hold a meeting in October at a day and time to be announced.

B) DCEO CURE Support Program – Information has been received that the Village of Scales Mound is eligible to receive funds as financial support pursuant to the Local CURE Program. (CURE is Coronavirus Urgent Remediation Emergency Support Program.) President Davis signed the Certification and the required documents will be sent in to finish the registration.

C) Other – Nothing


A) Monthly Report – 1) Any Information on Grants Availability for Infrastructure – Ruth Foley provided the paperwork necessary to apply for grants. She will contact Bridgette Stocks of Fehr-Graham to find out what grants might be available.

2) Further Discussion on Making One Block of Clark Avenue One Way – Ron Duerr stated he checked out other streets in town where parking and deliveries are presenting the same problems.  He has decided to not pursue this matter at this time.

3) Other – Ron Duerr and Jim Davis are looking into a different communication system for the wastewater system. They are looking at a radio system instead of the present telephone system which is used to alert when there is a problem at the Lift Station as it is not reliable.

Minutes – Regular Meeting, September 28, 2020 – Page 2

B) Operation/Maintenance/Streets Committee Report – None

C) Sewer & Water Operations Committee Report – None




A) Update on Violations – 1) discussion was held on a complaint received regarding increased traffic and speeding in the alley between Jackson and Provost Avenues from Main Street to Franklin Streets. If this continues, the Board will have to look further into the problem. 2) Wayne Moyer has the correct tags for the vehicles in violation of the ordinance and will be in town soon to continue working on the violations.

B) Other – John Duerr reported that Art Morby would like to speak with the Street Committee to discuss the work he did on his driveway.


A) Administrative Law Ordinance/Further Discussion/Possible Action – The city of East Dubuque will be starting with their Administrative Judge in January, 2021 and Scales Mound will be able to join in sometime after that.

B) Update on Internet Availability – Nothing new.

C) Update on Utility Hookup Fees – Nothing further.

D) Other – Nothing


A) FinanceAudit – Davis reported O’Connor & Brooks will be starting the FY2020 Audit in mid-October and expect to be within the time frame allotted for completion.

B) Park & Special Projects – President Davis told the Board that Dan Davis of A-Typical Concrete has said he could install a sidewalk in the area of the restrooms at the Town Hall for approximately $1500. Duerr moved, Driscoll seconded to have Dan install the sidewalk. All voted aye.  This work was included in the original plans for upgrading the Village Park.  Shannon Driscoll stated PCI is still attempting to track down a replacement light pole for the damaged one in front of the Town Hall.

C) Public Events & Safety – Halloween Trick or Treat – It was agreed to schedule Trick or Treat for Saturday, October 31, 2020 from 5 to 7 p.m. Due to the Coronavirus, it should be noted that if a resident wants to participate in the event, they should turn their porch light on, and, children should go only to the houses where the porch light is on. Also, it is entirely up to the parents if they want to allow their children to participate.  There will be no gathering afterward.

D) Trees & Sidewalks – No Report

E) Ordinance/Policy – No Report

F) Stone House Committee Pro Tem – 1) Update on Construction – Davis reported the following: the power is installed, plumbing is in, they should be starting on insulation next week, siding is ordered, and, the drywall and finishing work should get started once the rest is complete. Ron and Jim are going to move the generator and get it hooked up.  The exterior painting will be done after the grant project is complete.

G) TIF/Subdivision Committee Pro Tem – 1) Report from 9/9/2020 and 9/22/2020 Committee Meetings – At both meetings, discussion was held with Matt and Melissa Dittmar on possible options for TIF funding opportunities for businesses. Lindsey stated she has spoken with O’Connor & Brooks, CPA’s for guidance on tax abatement versus a low interest rate loan to offer to the Dittmar’s. It was agreed that the sale of food products does not generate a great amount of sales tax so tax abatement would probably not benefit them in this instance.  However, a low interest rate loan could be offered to

Minutes – Regular Meeting, September 28, 2020 – Page 3

them, something like $75,000 at 1% for their choice of 5, 7 or 10 years.  If they would default, a lien could be placed on the property.  It would be a secured loan from the Economic Development Fund.  The Auditors are willing to assist with the paperwork.  Foley moved, J. Duerr seconded to make an offer to Matt and Melissa Dittmar of a low interest, secured loan from the Economic Development Fund as discussed.  On roll call vote, Winter, aye; Driscoll, abstain; J. Duerr, aye; Foley, aye; L. Duerr, aye; Trebian, aye.  Motion carried.  Lindsey will get back with the Dittmar’s to see if they are interested in accepting a loan and if so, at which term they prefer.  She will then proceed with the paperwork.

Also discussed at the committee meetings was the possible extension of the life of the current TIF.  Lindsey stated that both Warren and Elizabeth, IL are extending their TIF programs and they are in about the same place (year) that Scales Mound is right now.  Davis once again stated he has had advice from Attorney Matt Keegan that it is actually too early in the life of the present TIF to extend it at this time.  It was agreed that the conflicting information has to do with which TIF attorney you are working with.  Elizabeth has offered to allow Scales Mound to use the letter they have used to get an extension underway.  The Board needs to determine if they want to go forward with extending the TIF at this time.  Lindsey will get further information from the other Villages and then check with Attorney Keegan.

2) Other – Nothing


A) Report from TIF Joint Review Board Meeting – Davis reported the following: Those attending were Dr. Bill Caron, Steve Stadel and himself. Discussion was held on the TIF report, what the expenditures have been, with the latest being the completion of the $30,000 infrastructure project near the school.  He also reported that there is still some interest in a residential development, but that is not moving a very brisk pace.  An extension of the TIF was discussed.  Information from Attorney Keegan is that a TIF can be extended 12 additional years, however the process is not a simple one and according to Keegan, it is too early in the Village’s TIF to be considering an extension.

B) Other – Jo Daviess County Animal Control Agreement 12/2/202011/30/2021The Animal Control Agreement was presented and reviewed. Davis called for a motion on the Agreement. No motion was offered.



ADJOURNMENT – Foley moved, L. Duerr seconded that the meeting be adjourned at 8:03 p.m.  All voted aye.

These Minutes are subject to approval at the next Regular Board Meeting.  Minutes are also available online at



Village President

ATTEST:  ____________________________________

Village Clerk