Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees
Stone House
December 30, 2019
7:00 P.M.

The Regular Meeting of the President and Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, December 30, 2019 by President Davis. Members present were Nicole Busch, Shannon Driscoll, John Duerr, Lindsey Duerr, Ruth Foley and Bernard Trebian. Also present were Steve Stadel, Village Treasurer, Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk, Ron Duerr, Brandon Behlke and Chris Schultz.

Foley moved, L. Duerr seconded that the Minutes of the November 25, 2019 Regular Meeting, both Open and Closed Sessions be approved as read. All voted aye.

The Treasurer’s Report was reviewed. Steve Stadel stated that delinquent notices were sent out with the Water Bills on December 16th for shutoff on January 15, 2020 if past due balance is not paid in full by January 15, 2020. Steve then asked if there was any objection from the Board if the dates for shutoff would be changed from January and July to March and September due to the holidays, weather and also with consideration of the annual and semi-annual accounts. After a short discussion, J. Duerr moved, Foley seconded to move the dates for shutoff to March and September. All voted aye. L. Duerr moved, Trebian seconded to accept the Treasurer’s Report as presented and to place it on file. All voted aye.
Steve also posed the question as to the timing for billing of a newly connected service. It was agreed that once the service is inside of the building and being used, the billing will start the following month. If the service is inside the building but not being used, the operation and maintenance fee should be charged.

The December bills were reviewed. J. Duerr moved, Driscoll seconded that the December bills, to include the bill from Scales Mound Sinclair, be approved for payment. On roll call vote, all voted aye.

A) Ambulance Board – No Report
B) S.M. Chamber – President Davis reported the annual Chamber Christmas Party went well with a good number of people in attendance. The next Chamber meeting will be in January, 2020.
C) ICC Letter – Regarding CCP Railroad Request for Extension to Finish Project – Notice was received from the State of IL ICC that the CCP Railroad is petitioning for an extension of time to install flashing lights and gates at 6 locations in Jo Daviess County, to include the Village of Scales Mound, until August 31, 2020.
D) Smart Energy Solutions Referral Offer – Donald Shellenberger, owner of Smart Energy Solutions out of Elizabeth, IL sent information to the Village Board regarding a referral program for customers for their solar opportunities. They provided contact information for anyone interested.
E) ComEd Letter Regarding Tree Trimming in Village – A letter was received from ComEd stating they will be performing vegetation management activities in the Scales Mound area within the next few months. Any affected property owners will be notified individually. More information can be found at
F) Other – Chris Schultz, on behalf of the SMRA addressed the Board to speak about the Village’s 170th Anniversary coming up in 2023 and what roll the Recreation Association would have in the planning. He stated that the Village provided $5,000 seed money the last time and he was wondering if they would consider that amount or maybe an increase for 2023. After discussion, it was agreed to proceed with the

Minutes – Regular Meeting, December 30, 2019 – Page 2

planning for the event. The Public Events Committee needs to meet with the celebration committees and once they can project an amount needed, the Village will at that time figure an amount to give for startup. Lindsey agreed to contact persons involved in previous events to get things started. Chris will inform the Recreation Association of what is expected. The projected dates for the event will be one of the last two weekends in June, 2023.

A) Monthly Report – Ron Duerr stated he would like to set up some committee meetings and have the Board involved in preparing for projects he wants to see done this summer. After discussion, it was agreed that the Sewer/Water Committee will meet Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 5:30 p.m. at the Stone House to discuss and develop a plan of what projects need to be done this summer. It was also agreed that the Ordinance/Policy Committee will meet Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 6:30 p.m. at the Stone House to finalize ordinances which have been proposed over the past few months. The Trees/Sidewalks Committee will seek information on costs of trees and sizes before they meet to determine where to place new trees.
B) Operation/Maintenance/Streets Committee Report – No Report
C) Sewer & Water Operations Committee Report – Nothing further


A) Further Discussion/Action on Solar Panel Regulations – Ordinance vs. Policy – Discussion tabled to upcoming committee meeting.
B) Further Discussion/Possible Action on Administrative Law Ordinance – Discussion tabled to upcoming committee meeting.
C) Any Update from Committee Re: Policy Change on Utility Hookup Fees – Committee did not meet.
D) Other – None

A) Finance – No Report
B) Park & Special Projects – No Report
C) Public Events & Safety – Committee will begin focus on 2023 – Village’s 170th Birthday
D) Trees & Sidewalks – Nothing further
E) Ordinance/Policy – 1) Adult-Use Cannabis Ordinance Discussion – Committee needs to take action
F) Stone House Committee Pro Tem – Bids will be let in March
G) TIF/Subdivision Committee Pro Tem – 1) Update on Procedure to Extend TIF Duration – Nothing new


CLOSED SESSION – J. Duerr moved, Foley seconded to enter into Closed Session at 7:50 p.m. as allowed by Open Meeting Law, Sec. 2 (C )1 to discuss Personnel (salaries). On roll call vote, all voted aye.

Minutes – Regular Meeting, December 30, 2019 – Page 3

J. Duerr moved, Foley seconded to return to Open Session at 8:30 p.m. On roll call vote, all voted aye.

President Davis called for action resulting from the Closed Session. Foley moved, L. Duerr seconded that the Board put together a contract and job description for the Public Works Director. All voted aye. Board Members were asked to put their ideas on paper and then the Board as a whole will go over the information and finalize a job description and contract.

A question was asked as to whether anyone has any new information on the sign 1½ miles from the Village to the West. There was no new information.

Foley moved, L. Duerr seconded that the meeting be adjourned at 8:35 p.m. All voted aye.

These Minutes are subject to approval at the next Regular Board Meeting. Minutes are also available online at

Village President

ATTEST: __________________________________
Village Clerk