Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees

Stone House

August 29, 2022

7:00 P.M.

The Regular Meeting of the President and Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, August 29, 2022 by President Davis. Members present were Nicole Busch, John Duerr, Ruth Foley, Daniel Wenzel, Janet Werner and Nathan Wills. Also present were Steve Stadel, Village Treasurer, Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk, Dr. Marybeth DeLaMar, Superintendent, Scales Mound Schools, Dave Hoftender, Anniston Werner, Sydney Driscoll and Lisa Oellerich.

Duerr moved, Wills seconded that the Minutes of the July 25, 2022 Regular Meeting be approved as read. All voted aye.

The Treasurer’s Report was reviewed. Discussion was held on investing in CD’s. It was stated that previously Apple River State Bank offered to the Village a 3-year rate, and if needed before the 3 years were up, the Village could take some or all of the funds out without a penalty. Nicole Busch agreed to speak to Joel Holland regarding interest rates and to report back to the Board. Werner moved, Busch seconded to accept the Treasurer’s Report as presented and to place it on file. All voted aye.

The August bills were reviewed. Foley moved, Wills seconded that the August bills be approved for payment. On roll call vote, all voted aye.


A) S.M. Chamber – Election of officers was held. Melissa Dittmar is the new Chamber President, Steve Stadel and Dana Stadel will remain as Treasurer and Secretary respectively. This coming weekend is the Customer Appreciation Event at Country House Grocery. The Chamber businesses will be sponsoring the music at the 170th Village Celebration. The Village has a Special Event Permit for selling beer at the celebration.

B) Anniston Werner/SMHS FFA/Color Run Request – Anniston explained to the Board that through the FFA Economic Development Program, they are hosting a Color Run and would like to get permission to use Washington Street, from Schuyler Avenue to Charles Mound Road and then Charles Mound Road to Kneebone Hill for the Run. They will be asking the local businesses to become involved by providing sponsorships for each km. The Board had no objections to holding the Color Run on the portions of the streets that are in the Village. They asked that the FFA keep them informed of the date and time and the Village will see that barricades are placed where needed.

C) Dr. DeLaMar & Dave Hoftender/SM Schools – Drainage Tubes under School Yard – Dr. DeLaMar and Dave Hoftender addressed the Board regarding a recent unexpected expense they experienced after a portion of an older tube under the school yard collapsed. This section had been considered satisfactory to leave when the major construction was done last summer, hoping they could get more years of service from it. The collapse occurred this past month and that section of the tube running south to the end of the school property was replaced at the cost of $23,193. Davis reminded everyone present that last year, the Village, in an attempt to alleviate and mitigate flooding on the south side of the Village decided to install a completely new 4’ tube all the way from Clark Avenue to

Minutes – Regular Meeting, August 29, 2022 – Page 2

the south end of the property. (This new tube ran beside the old tube on the school’s property.) He also stated this is a private versus public situation and that the Village cannot get involved with personal situations. He suggested maybe this could get consideration as a TIF project. The school is asking the Village Board to consider paying ½ of the cost of the project or $11,596.50. Ruth Foley stated that the Village, in conjunction with Jo Daviess County does have a Mitigation Plan which addresses the water problems the Village has experienced and there could possibly be FEMA funds available. She will see that the Village Board as well as Dr. DeLaMar and Dave Hoftender get copies of these plans. This will be put on the Agenda for the Village’s September Regular Board Meeting for discussion and possible action.

D) Other – Nothing


A) Monthly Report – 1) Update on SCADA System – Ruth Foley asked if it would be advisable to have a cell phone tied directly to SCADA. Davis stated he doesn’t think that is necessary as SCADA is set to go with Ron’s phone. 2) Information on Condition of Trees in Park – Ruth Foley talked to Jeremy Soppe and Terry Redfearn about the trees. There are 9 trees in the park that should be removed. Redfearn stated that going forward, he is not going to offering bare root trees, which many vendors are now doing. Davis explained that bare root is no dirt ball around the roots, the roots are washed off and then planted and the trees are on the average 6’ to 7’ tall. After further discussion, it was agreed that Ruth should pursue the CN Railroad program “America in Bloom” to see if that would benefit the Village. 3) Tree on Franklin Street has been removed & Sidewalk replaced – Jo Daviess County has removed the tree on Franklin Street that was damaged in a storm and the sidewalk in that area was replaced. 4) Other – a) Lawnmower Quote – A quote was received from Ritchie’s in Cobb, WI for a new 2022 Ferris ISX800, in the amount of $10, 949, with a $500 Governmental Discount and a trade in of the 2011 mower of $2,249; the total cost would be $8,200. After discussion, J. Duerr moved, Wills seconded to purchase the Ferris mower as described from Ritchie’s for $10,449 and to sell the 2011 mower outright with sealed bids being solicited. On roll call vote, all voted aye. b) Dan Wenzel stated that reportedly bats have moved over to the school from another nesting place and can be a danger to the students. He was wondering about placing bat houses in an area by the railroad tracks to attract them away from the school. Dan will look to see if there is any assistance available to help build bat houses.

B) Operation/Maintenance/Streets Committee Report – No Report

C) Sewer & Water Operations Committee – The pump at the Well House on North Avenue was pulled and found to be in bad shape as well as the shaft it goes in. It has been many years since the pump and shaft had any major repairs. Peerless gave a price of $34,820 to replace the well pipe, the stainless steel well shafts, bearings, and bowl assembly as well as refurbishing the motor. Davis stated he told Peerless to go ahead with these repairs as it is something that needs to be done.


Davis presented paperwork for the following: Eagle Point Solar – Solar Panel installation on Steve Stadel’s building on Jackson Street; Havens to install conforming facilities to house chickens; Rudy Beliz for a patio. All of these applications have been approved by the Zoning Administrator.

ORDINANCE VIOLATIONS – Concerns were expressed regarding motorized vehicles (4-wheelers and ATV’s) being driven on Village streets by underage drivers. The ordinance states that “any person

Minutes – Regular Meeting, August 29, 2022 – Page 3

who operates a non-highway vehicle on a Village roadway must have an official valid driver’s license issued in his or her name” and, a person shall be subject to the mandatory insurance requirements and must have in their possession the required proof of insurance for such non-highway vehicle. If this violation persists, law enforcement will be called in. The Board is not only concerned with the ordinance violations but particularly for the safety of everyone involved.


A) Update on Funds (Explanation of funds seen in report on State of IL website) – Nothing further

B) Other – Nothing


A) Finance – No Report

B) Park & Special Projects – 1) All 4 benches are Installed and are a great addition to the park;

2) Bench Donation in Memory of Betty & Ernie Schoenhard – Terry and Joyce Schoenhard are donating a bench in memory of Betty and Ernie. Thank you to the Schoenhard’s.

C) Public Events & Safety170th Celebration Update – The next meeting for the Celebration planning will be Wednesday, September 14th at 6:00 p.m. at the Stone House. It was reported that the inflatables and the bands have been booked. They now need to concentrate on getting the parade together.

D) Trees & Sidewalks – Nothing further.

E) Ordinance/Policy – Nothing


A) Consolidated Election April 4, 2023 – Clerk Townsend reported the Consolidated Election which includes Village Officials will be held on April 4, 2023. The seats open for election will be as follows: Village President – a 4-year term. 5 Village Trustees – 3 seats will be for a full 4-year term; 2 seats will be for a 2-year unexpired term. Petitions can be circulated beginning September 20, 2022. Petitions can be obtained by calling Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk at 815-845-2240. She is hoping residents will think about this opportunity to fulfill their Civic Duty.

B) Other – Nothing

BRAINSTORMING – Ruth Foley asked about the status of replacing the front porch on the Stone House. Davis stated he thinks the Board should have Architect Baranski draw up something that would be period correct. He will get in contact with Baranski.


ADJOURNMENT – Duerr moved, Werner seconded that the meeting be adjourned at 9:05 p.m. All voted aye.

These Minutes are subject to approval at the next Regular Board Meeting. Minutes are also available online at


Village President

ATTEST: _____________________________________

Village Clerk