Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees

Stone House

July 25, 2022

7:00 P.M.

The Regular Meeting of the President and Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:00 Monday, July 25, 2022 by President Davis.  Members present were Nicole Busch, Ruth Foley and Janet Werner.  Members absent were John Duerr, Daniel Wenzel and Nathan Wills.  (A quorum was realized with President Davis being present.)  Also present were Steve Stadel, Village Treasurer and Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk.

Werner moved, Foley seconded that the Minutes of the June 27, 2022 Regular Meeting be approved as read.  All voted aye.

The Treasurer’s Report was reviewed.  Steve Stadel talked about the transfers he has made to zero out the negatives in the sewer and water accounts.  He then stated that the funds in the General Account are adding up to nearly $700,000 and wondered about looking into investing in CD’s.  It was agreed to wait until after the next raise in the interest rates which should be Wednesday of this week.  Steve will look into this and it will be discussed at the August Regular Board Meeting.  It was also agreed to take the money for startup funds for the 170th Celebration Account from Corporate.  Busch moved, Werner seconded to accept the Treasurer’s Report as presented and to place it on file.  All voted aye.

The July bills were reviewed.  Foley moved, Busch seconded that the July bills be approved for payment.  On roll call vote, all voted aye.


A) M. Chamber – No Report

B) Mediacom Annual Customer Service Report – Annual Report was received.

C) Other – A letter was received from Mediacom informing the Board that on or about August 22, 2022, Mediacom will be implementing programming changes and rate adjustments.


A) Monthly Report – 1) Update on SCADA System – in Ron Duerr’s absence, Jim Davis stated that Brian is continuing to work to get the SCADA system together and up and running. When asked just exactly what the SCADA system will do, Davis explained that it will monitor the water and wastewater systems and then put the information together in a daily report, alleviating the reports done now by the operator. 2) Information on Condition of Trees in Park – inspection not done yet; 3) Tree on Franklin Streetthe County has determined that the damaged tree on Franklin Street does belong to them and they have it scheduled to come down.

B) Operation/Maintenance/Streets Committee Report – No Report

C) Sewer & Water Operations Committee – No Report

ZONING – No Report



A) Update on Funds (Explanation of funds seen in report on State of IL Website) – Davis

Minutes – Regular Meeting, July 25, 2022 – Page 2

explained that two of the funds listed were the grants for the Stone House, a third one was for infrastructure (SCADA).  Bridgette Stocks of Fehr-Graham will continue to work on this.  B) Findings on Mile & ½ Sign West of the Village – Davis spoke with the person renting the sign posts at this time from the neighboring farmer and informed them that the posts belong to the Village and they will need to take their sign down as the Village plans to put its mile & ½ sign back up. C) Other – 1) A question was asked about the status of the home inspections for lead pipes. Davis stated they have not yet started on the inspections. 2) A question was asked about replacing the porch on the front of the Stone House and getting the lighting on the front operational.  Davis stated it is really hard to find a carpenter to do smaller jobs right now but we are attempting to find someone.  It was agreed that we would like to see it done before the Celebration if at all possible.


A) Finance – Information on acquiring a Credit Card – Nicole Busch relayed to the Board that they could get a business credit card through Apple River State Bank with no annual fee. After discussion, Foley moved, Werner seconded to have Steve Stadel apply for a business credit card for the Village through Apple River State Bank with a credit limit of $5,000; Ron Duerr and Margaret Townsend as authorized users and each will have a card.  On roll call vote, all voted aye.

B) Park & Special Projects – 1) A new bench has been ordered; 2) the following is a list of things being worked on at the park: it was suggested that the restrooms at the Town Hall be spruced up – painting and thorough cleaning; Nicole will work with Nick Vondran on the sidewalks around the restrooms; Jim will work with Bennett Brown on resurfacing the basketball court; Jim will ask Josh Altfillish for a quote on staining the wood playground equipment; the mulching will be done this fall; Jim has not heard from PCI on the electrical; and, they will look at the basketball hoops next spring. A question was asked about what became of the idea of a Splash Pad.  Davis explained that the Splash Pads previously looked into would cost a lot to install and maintain.  The plan has been put aside and other options may be considered in the future.

C) Public Events & Safety170th Celebration Update – Janet Werner said the last meeting was good. They are now contacting people who were in the parade the last time.  Also, the Recreation Association will have the food starting after the parade and through the street dance.  They will check with the 4H to see if there is any interest in having a Sunday morning breakfast and also check with those previously involved to see if there is interest in having a Sunday morning church service in the park.  The next Celebration meeting is September 14th.

D) Trees & Sidewalks – No Report

E) Ordinance/Policy – No Report


A) Review Closed Session Minutes from the past 6 Months – there were no Closed Sessions held during that time period.

B) Other – Nothing


1) Clerk Townsend asked the Board if they would consider replacing her printer as she has used her personal printer for Village office work for years as the Village did not own a printer.  Foley moved, Busch seconded to authorize Margaret to purchase a printer for a cost up to $300.00.  On roll call vote, all voted aye.  2) Ron Duerr had a bid from Ritchie’s for a Ferris Mower in the amount of $10,949 (before the municipal discount and mower trade-in).  Ron will have them bring the mower for him to try out.

Minutes – Regular Meeting, July 25, 2022 – Page 3

3) A complaint was received regarding a vehicle being parked on the sidewalk along Franklin Street between the Methodist Church and the mailboxes at the corner.  It is usually parked taking up over half the width of the sidewalk making it difficult to walk by and so near the mailboxes that it is difficult for others to drive up to the mailboxes.  This violation will be turned over to the Ordinance Enforcer.



Busch moved, Werner seconded that the Meeting be adjourned at 8:50 p.m.  All voted aye.

These Minutes are subject to approval at the next Regular Board Meeting.  Minutes are also available online at



Village President

ATTEST:  ____________________________________

Village Clerk