Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees

Scales Mound Town Hall

April 26, 2021

7:00 P.M.

The Regular Meeting of the President and Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, April 26, 2021 by President Davis.  Members present were Nicole Busch, Shannon Driscoll, John Duerr, Ruth Foley and Bernard Trebian. Member Lindsey Duerr was absent.  Also present were Steve Stadel, Village Treasurer, Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk, and Brandon Behlke.

Foley moved, Trebian seconded that the Minutes of the March 29, 2021 Regular Meeting be approved as read.  All voted aye.

The Treasurer’s Report was reviewed.  J. Duerr moved, Busch seconded to accept the Treasurer’s Report as presented and to place it on file.  All voted aye.

The March bills were reviewed.  Busch moved, Foley seconded that the April bills, with the addition of a payment to Joe Lee in the amount of $1,728.00 for sidewalk reimbursement, be approved for payment.  On roll call vote, all voted aye.


A) Information on Grants for Infrastructure – Foley/L. Duerr (Any input from outgoing Board Members) – Ruth Foley stated she had spoken with Bridgette Stocks of Fehr Graham and asked her to come to a meeting to discuss grants. She also asked Bridgette to keep her informed of new grant information.  Jim Davis had also spoken with Bridgette and discussed grants which may become available.  Davis stated a grant is good only if it saves you money and matching grants are not always the best.  He further stated the Village will be getting more CARE funds for a total of around $55,000.

B) Update on Low Interest Rate Loan from Economic Development Funds/Dittmar (Any input from outgoing Board Members) – No new information.

C) Input on Putting Together a Written Policy for Low Interest Rate Loans (Any input from outgoing Board Members) – No new information.

D) Other – 1) Ruth Foley stated she had contacted Redfearn Tree Service and they advised her that if the Board intends to replace a large number of trees they should put together a plan to do a certain number of trees each year. Davis stated he feels that in the Board’s search for locations to plant the trees, they need to reach out to property owners who would agree to have a tree planted near their property and then would be willing to help take care of it by watering it as needed; also need to look for a spot with no overhead lines and/or so the roots would not interfere with the buried utilities.  Further discussion tabled to Committee Reports.  2) John Duerr stated Todd Turks of Sand Prairie informed him they now have permission to go under the railroad tracks with their internet service.  The residents in that service area need to be notified so they can get signed up if they so desire.  3) Shannon Driscoll informed the Board that the bottom box part for the new light pole outside the Town Hall has been shipped and should be arriving soon.

Thank You to Outgoing Board Members Shannon Driscoll and Lindsey Duerr.  President Davis and the Board expressed gratitude to Shannon and Lindsey for their service to the Board the past 4 years.  Both Lindsey (via email) and Shannon stated they may be interested in serving in the future.

Davis also asked everyone present to help look for Village residents who would be interested in sitting on the Board for the next two years until the next Election.

Minutes – Regular Meeting, April 26, 2021 – Page 2

 ADJOURNMENT – Foley moved, Trebian seconded that the meeting be adjourned at 7:20 p.m.  All voted aye.


Clerk Townsend read the election results.  For Village Trustee:  There were 3 available seats, only one person filed for election and there were no write-in candidates.  John Duerr received 40 votes and was declared elected.  John was sworn in by President Davis and was seated.

President Davis called the meeting to order at 7:22 p.m.  Members present were Nicole Busch, John Duerr, Ruth Foley and Bernard Trebian.  Also present were Steve Stadel, Village Treasurer, Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk, Ron Duerr and Brandon Behlke.

SET MEETING DATES, TIME & PLACE, DESIGNATE DEPOSITORY – Davis will prepare these items for the May Regular Board Meeting.

APPOINTMENT & APPROVAL OF CLERK, TREASURER, ZONING ADMINISTRATOR, ATTORNEY, OTHER BOARDS – Davis stated he will make the following appointments to be approved with all others at the May Regular Board Meeting:  Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk, Steve Stadel, Village Treasurer, Terry Kurt, Attorney.


A) M. Chamber – No Report

B) OtherLetter from US Cellular – A letter was received from Mark O’Brien, Real Estate Program Manager of US Cellular. US Cellular is offering to purchase the current lease in exchange for a perpetual easement. President Davis will contact him to further discuss this proposal.


A) Monthly Report – None

B) Operations/Maintenance/Streets Committee Report – No Report

C) Sewer & Water Operations Committee Report – No Report

ZONING REPORT – Davis reported that a permit application was approved for Joel Holland to put solar energy in an outbuilding at 935 Franklin Street.

ORDINANCE VIOLATIONS – John Duerr will check in with Wayne Moyer to get started on current violations.


A) Finance – No Report

B) Park & Special Projects – No Report

C) Public Events & Safety – No Report

D) Trees & Sidewalks – There was no further discussion. The committee will meet to put together a plan for tree replacement.

E) Ordinance/Policy – No Report

F) Stone House Committee Pro Tem – 1) Update on Construction – Davis reported the carpet is down and the electric and heating are done. Item to be completed: plumbing, countertop, landscaping and the outside entry.

Minutes – Regular Meeting, April 26, 2021 – Page 3

G) TIF/Subdivision Committee Pro Tem – No Report


A) Approval of Liquor License Renewals – Foley moved, J. Duerr seconded to approve renewal and issuance of all liquor licenses upon receipt of licensing fees. All voted aye.

B) Reminder – May Regular Board Meeting will be May 24, 2021 due to the Memorial Day HolidayClerk Townsend reminded Board Members that the May Regular Board Meeting will be a week early due to the holiday.

C) Reminder to File Statement of Economic Interest before deadline of May 1, 2021 – Clerk Townsend reminded Board Members that if they haven’t already filed, the deadline is May 1st. After that date, a penalty will be imposed.

D) Other – 1) Cleaning at the Stone House – As construction will be wrapping up soon, discussion was held on a general cleaning of the entire Stone House. Clerk Townsend will contact Shari Hillary to see if she is interested in doing a general cleaning and then resuming the monthly cleaning schedule she was on previously. 2) Printer for Public Works – Davis stated he is working on getting a printer up and running for Ron.



ADJOURNMENT – J. Duerr moved, Foley seconded that the meeting be adjourned at 7:55 p.m.  All voted aye.

These Minutes are subject to approval at the nest Regular Board Meeting.  Minutes are also available online at


Village President

ATTEST:  ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­_____________________________________

Village Clerk