Minutes for September 30, 2019 Meeting

VILLAGE OF SCALES MOUND
Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees
Stone House
September 30, 2019
7:00 P.M.

The Regular Meeting of the President and Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, September 30, 2019 by President Davis. Members present were Nicole Busch, Shannon Driscoll, Lindsey Duerr, Ruth Foley and Bernard Trebian. Member John Duerr was absent. Also present were Steve Stadel, Village Treasurer, Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk, Ron Duerr, Joe Lee and Brandon Behlke, Galena Gazette reporter.

L. Duerr moved, Trebian seconded that the Minutes of the August 26, 2019 Regular Meeting be approved as read. All voted aye.

The Treasurer’s Report was reviewed. Steve Stadel reported that they found the solution to the variance in the Corporate and Improvement accounts and have corrected the problem. He also stated the Village will be receiving two checks from Motor Fuel Tax, one for the old amount and now a separate check for the increased gas tax recently imposed by the State. Foley moved, Busch seconded to accept the Treasurer’s Report as presented and to place it on file. All voted aye.

The September bills were reviewed. L. Duerr moved, Foley seconded that the September bills be approved for payment. On roll call vote, all voted aye.

PUBLIC HEARINGS/CORRESPONDENCE
A) Ambulance Board – No Report
B) S.M. Chamber – No Report
C) Email from IML Regarding Property Tax Relief Task Force Update – The IML has requested to be a partner with the Task Force in addressing the issue of property tax relief. Per state statue, the Task Force is required to deliver an initial report of findings by October 31, 2019 and a final report by December 31, 2019. They will keep municipalities informed. More information can be found on the IML website at iml/org/propertytax.
D) Email from IML Regarding Adult-Use Cannabis: Frequently Asked Questions – The IML has worked with the law firm of Klein, Thorpe and Jenkins, Ltd. to develop answers to questions asked regarding the legalization of adult-use cannabis. Resources can be found at iml.org/cannabis. President Davis stated he will contact Terry Kurt for information to present to the Ordinance/Policy Committee when they meet regarding this matter. Information was also received from the IL Dept of Revenue regarding municipalities imposing a local Cannabis Retailers’ Occupation Tax beginning September 1, 2020. Davis feels the Board should consider this tax.
E) Other – None

PUBLIC WORKS
A) Monthly Report – Ron Duerr reported: 1) the storage unit is coming tomorrow; 2) he would like to meet with the Sewer & Water Operations Committee to discuss the issue of water infiltration. He reported that recently the Village is pumping 10 times more than normal which is especially hard on the infrastructure. Davis stated we need to get out and camera the lines, identify the problem areas, and correct the problems in order to solve the infiltration issues. He also reminded the Board that the EPA wants the Village to inspect all water lines, looking for lead pipes. Davis suggested incorporating the two inspections, possibly having an engineer from Fehr-Graham help with the inspections. This

Minutes – Regular Meeting, September 30, 2019 – Page 2

needs to be started before spring. It is evident that sump pumps are pumping into the wastewater
system and this needs to change. If it comes down to people not being able to afford to install a sump pump, the Village may have to come up with some kind of financial assistance. Upon being asked about what is and is not allowable, Davis stated “if it comes from the tap, it can go into the wastewater; if it comes from Mother Nature, it cannot.” The issue with infiltration at the manholes continues and the plan is to do camera work tomorrow night and repair some of the holes with cement. The issue of wipes collecting at the pump continues. It was agreed to tentatively set a Sewer & Water Operations Committee meeting for Tuesday, October 22nd.
B) Operation/Maintenance/Streets Committee Report – None
C) Sewer & Water Operations Committee Report – Nothing further

ZONING REPORT
Joe Lee, Zoning Administrator presented approved Building Permits for: 1) Charles Davis for changing the location of the steps to the upper level at 307 Franklin Street; 2) Tammy Hesselbacher for work on her house at 501 Clark Avenue; and 3) Steve & Margaret Townsend for sewer and water hookup at 96 Provost Avenue.

ORDINANCE VIOLATIONS
Lindsey Duerr has been working on the list of ordinance violations to give to Mike Brown. She would like the rest of the Board to check the list she has and then decide if a second letter should be sent or if Mike should just start knocking on doors. Board Members will get back to her.

OLD BUSINESS
A) Decisions on Bid Letting for Renovations at Stone House – Davis stated he has heard nothing from the engineers or the architect since the last meeting. It was agreed to hold back on letting the bids until after the first of the year for the work to be done in early spring.
B) Further Discussion/Possible Action on Amendment to Nuisance Ordinance – Board Members received a copy of the amendments – Section 3-1-1 through 3-1-4. Busch moved, Trebian seconded to accept the amendments to the Nuisance Ordinance No. 2008-001 as presented. On roll call vote, all voted aye.
C) Further Discussion/Possible Action on Solar Panel Regulations – Discussion was tabled as President Davis is checking with Attorney Kurt as to whether this should be done as an ordinance or a policy.
D) Further Discussion/Possible Action on Administrative Law Ordinance – Further discussion tabled to October Board Meeting.
E) Emergency Operation Plan – Have the Updated Information for Notebooks – will work on replacing the updated pages in the books. At this time Ron Duerr, Jim Davis, Ruth Foley and Margaret Townsend discussed the emergency drill held on September 21st. Others participating in the drill were the CN Railroad, Apple River, Warren and Shullsburg Fire Departments, Galena EMS, County Hazmat Team and Chuck Pedersen, County Emergency Manager. The Village would have access to the Code Red notification system if they so desired. The railroad is willing to give a group training on emergency procedures if anyone is interested. Everyone agreed that the drill went well.
F) Other – None

OTHER COMMITTEE REPORTS
A) Finance – No Report
B) Park & Special Projects – Update/Benches – The committee stated they have decided to purchase 3 benches and have picked the style. The project will be put on hold until spring when the cement
Minutes – Regular Meeting, September 30, 2019 – Page 3

pads can be poured. It was also suggested that maybe someone would be interested in purchasing a bench in memory of a loved one and then a plaque could be placed on the bench.
C) Public Events & Safety – Trick or Treat Update – Trick or Treat will be held from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., Thursday, October 31, 2019. Due to the fact that this is a school night, it was decided to NOT have the gathering at the Town Hall after the Trick or Treat.
D) Trees & Sidewalks – Jeremy Soppe is continuing to remove the trees destroyed by the Emerald Ash Borers. His policy is to save the tree if at all possible, however if it is hollow and/or presents a safety hazard, it will need to be removed.
E) Ordinance/Policy – After a short discussion, it was decided it would be best at this time if the Ordinance Enforcer would just go to the doors of the people who are violating the ordinances and discuss with them cleaning up, respecting the neighbors, etc. Then if they don’t comply, further action will be taken.
F) Stone House Committee Pro Tem – Nothing further.
G) TIF/Subdivision Committee Pro Tem – Shannon Driscoll presented information on the meeting held on September 23. She stated the property owners are interested in the project and they would like the Village to make an offer on the land. The Committee will discuss prices and get back to them. Members of the TIF Committee plan to attend a speaking engagement about TIF development on October 2, 2019 in Elizabeth held by the mayor of Pearl City. Pearl City has completed two new subdivisions and the Board would like to hear details of how they proceeded with their projects.

NEW BUSINESS
A) Jo Daviess County Hazard Mitigation Planning Committee – Ruth Foley provided information regarding updating the County Hazard Mitigation Plan. She had received an email from Zachary Krug with American Environmental Corp. who stated they are assisting the County in this matter and are working to set up the Hazard Mitigation Planning Committee. They are looking for a representative from Scales Mound for the committee. The first meeting is October 29, 2019 at Crossroads Church in Galena and they plan to have two more meetings after that. John Duerr has said he would be interested in attending that meeting. The Board agreed to send John as the Scales Mound representative.
B) Other – None

BRAINSTORMING
A) Ron Duerr was authorized to purchase several new garbage receptacles for various areas in town.
B) Delinquent Utility Bills – The delinquent accounts will be reviewed in January. Lindsey will send out reminder letters to those who are delinquent reminding them they can set up auto pay at the bank.

CLOSED SESSION – None

ADJOURNMENT
Foley moved, L. Duerr seconded that the meeting be adjourned at 8:07 p.m. All voted aye.

These Minutes are subject to approval at the next Regular Board Meeting. Minutes are also available online at www.scalesmound.com

________________________________
Village President

ATTEST: _____________________________________
Village Clerk