Minutes for September 26, 2016 Meeting

VILLAGE OF SCALES MOUND

Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees

Stone House

September 26, 2016

7:00 P.M.

 

The Regular Meeting of the President and Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, September 26, 2016 by President Davis.  Members present were John Duerr, Ruth Foley and Carrie Stier.  Members Ken Plath and Chris Schultz were absent.  Also present were Steve Stadel, Village Treasurer, Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk, Ron Duerr, Darin Oberhart and MaryAnn Hoftender.

 J. Duerr moved, Foley seconded that the Minutes of the August 29, 2016 Regular Meeting be approved as read.  All voted aye.

Steve Stadel reported that another tax payment has been received and also that the check for 50% of the OSLAD grant money has been received.  He will open a special account for the OSLAD monies as is directed by the grant.  Stier moved, Foley seconded to accept the Treasurer’s Report as presented and to place it on file.  All voted aye.

The September bills were reviewed.  J. Duerr moved, Stier seconded that the September bills, with the addition of a bill in the amount of $98.44 for ammunition for Darin’s annual qualification, be approved for payment.  On roll call vote, all voted aye.

PUBLIC HEARINGS/CORRESPONDENCE

A) Ambulance Board – No report.  Foley stated that they are always looking for new EMT volunteers so if anyone knows of someone who might be interested, please refer them to the proper personnel.

B) S.M. Chamber – Davis stated they are working on the Christmas lights and they are pretty much ready to go.  He also mentioned that they are considering going with LED lights on the strings and will probably look at replacing the garland on the strings next year.  Right now, the longevity of LED lights is not known.  He figures it would take approximately $500 to finish the strings.  Next meeting of the Chamber is Wednesday, October 19, 2016. 

C) Memorial for Steve Kieffer, Former Village Trustee – Clerk Townsend reported a US flag will be donated by the Village in memory of Steve Kieffer who served as Village Trustee from 1993-1997.

D) Other – President Davis, on behalf of the Village, expressed condolences to Ruth Foley on the recent loss of her sister.

 PUBLIC WORKS

A) Monthly Report – Ron Duerr: 1) gave the following report on the truck – the truck is fixed; the turbo module was out of it.  He is checking into the wear on the tires and may have to have the truck realigned.  The tires do not need to be replaced at this time.  2) There was a problem at the Lift Station and he had to use the portable pump the day of the heavy rains.  The wipes people are flushing in their toilets are still causing problems.  3) Davis explained that there continues to be a monumental problem with ground water/sump pumps going into the wastewater system.  4) Duerr was asked if the work done on the streets this summer was to alleviate the problems with water standing on the streets.  His reply was that yes, that was the purpose of the repairs.  The repairs done were costly so the agreement was to do as much as possible with the funds allocated.  Ditching is a completely different problem and was not included in the actual street work.

 B) Operation/Maintenance/Streets Committee Report – No Report

Minutes – Regular Meeting, September 26, 2016 – Page 2

 C) Sewer & Water Operations Committee Report – No Report

 

ZONING REPORT – No Report

POLICE REPORT – Officer Oberhart stated he talked with the renters at 502 Clark Avenue and the owners of 115 Burrall Avenue.  Both agreed to take care of the weeds on their properties.  He also stated he will not be available for the October Board Meeting but will be in town to patrol on Halloween evening.

 OLD BUSINESS

A) Bid Opening on Scrap Pieces – Clerk Townsend reported there were 4 bids from one person and 1 bid from a second person.  Bids were as follows:  Small swing set frame – Soppe $36.(accepted); 4 seat teeter totter – Soppe $21 (accepted); slide – Soppe $105 (accepted); monkey bars – Soppe $52, Stier $183.97 (accepted).  Foley moved, J. Duerr seconded to accept the highest bids as listed.  All voted aye.  Ron Duerr will contact a scrap dealer to dispose of any items remaining.

B) Compensation to Duerr for Hours Spent on Park Renovation – R. Duerr stated he put in 40 to 50 hours over and above his normal working hours.  Stier moved, Foley seconded to compensate Duerr at one half (of the amount normally paid from Improvements) month’s wages.  On roll call vote, all voted aye. 

C) Surveillance Cameras at Park – Update – Further discussion was held.  It was reported that  cameras would not be an issue on polling days.  Steve Stadel will check with the Township Board (Tuesday evening meeting) regarding housing the DVR for the cameras in the Town Hall.  The Township could have a camera in the Town Hall if they so desired.

D) Possible Use of Grant Monies for Stone house for Generator – tabled to October Meeting.       

  E) Fill Board Vacancy – Researching possible candidates                                                                    

   F) Further Discussion, if needed, on Policy Change Information from Sterling Codifiers – Clerk Townsend had shared, by email, information from Sterling Codifiers regarding policy change.  No further discussion was held.                                                                                                                                                  G) Other – Nothing

OTHER COMMITTEE REPORTS

A) Finance – No Report

B) Park & Special Projects – Discussion was held on projects for the park to include: 1) another electric service line into the pavilion. Tony Edwards Electric will be contacted for Village costs; ComEd would put the line in and cost is approximately $2000); 2) repaint/stain the bandstand and install a new overhead light (the bandstand was last done in 2006); 3) look at roofs on bandstand and pavilion; 4) install a new light on the pole in the area where the Christmas Tree is placed; 4) the additional park lights and sidewalk from the pavilion were included in the original plan; 5) plans have already been made to replace the outside doors on the restrooms with steel doors.  Dave Carscallen will get the doors in Dubuque.

1) OSLAD Grant Update – Bridgette Stocks of Fehr Graham will be visiting with President Davis soon to look over the grant application documents and see what else can be done with the monies.

 C) Public Events & Safety – 1) Halloween Trick or Treat Scheduled for October 31stFoley

moved, Stier seconded to set the hours of 6-8 p.m. for Trick or Treating.  All voted aye.  Stier will take

care of  the advertising.

Minutes – Regular Meeting, September 26, 2016 – Page 3

 D) Trees & Sidewalks – No Report

E)  Stone House Committee Pro Tem – No Report

F) Policy Committee Pro Tem – Changes were made to the Policy Committee which was originally announced at the September Meeting.  Members now are: Chris Schultz, Chair; Ken Plath and John Duerr.  At the present time, no meeting date has been set.

 NEW BUSINESS

A) Reminder – October Meeting is on Monday, October 24thClerk Townsend reminded Board Members that due to Halloween falling on the regular meeting night for October, the meeting date was set for Monday, October 24th.

B) 2017 Consolidated Election Information – Clerk Townsend announced that the Consolidated Election will be held on April 4, 2017.  Vacancies for the election will be 1 two year unexpired term and 3 four year terms.  Petitions can be circulated beginning September 20, 2016 and must be filed with the Village Clerk between December 12 and December 19, 2016.

C) JULIE Annual Contribution Assessment Notification – Notification was received from JULIE stating that the total member bill for 2017 for the Village of Scales Mound will be $134.50.  This amount will be invoiced in January, 2017.

D) Other – None

MONTHLY REVIEWS

A) Ordinance Violations – Discussion was held on “when does a weed become a tree”.  Discretion needs to be used when determining weed and grass ordinance violations. 

B) Website – Nothing

C) Brainstorming – Clerk Townsend reported she received the 2016 Ortho Files CD for the Village from Jo Daviess County GIS along with the invoice in the amount of $97.94.  The CD will be placed on file for future access.

 CLOSED SESSION – None

 ADJOURNMENT – Foley moved, Stier seconded that the meeting be adjourned at 8:30 p.m.  All voted aye.

 These Minutes are subject to approval at the next Regular Board Meeting.  Minutes are also available online at www.scalesmound.com

 

                                                                                                _________________________________

                        Village President

 

Attest: _____________________________________

                                Village Clerk