Minutes for September 25, 2017 Meeting

VILLAGE OF SCALES MOUND

Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees

                                            Stone House

September 25, 2017

7:00 P.M.

The Regular Meeting of the President and Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, September 25, 2017 by President Davis.  Members present were Lindsey Duerr, Shannon Driscoll, Art Morby, Thomas Townsend and Bernard Trebian.  Member John Duerr was absent.  Also present were Emily Doland for Steve Stadel, Village Treasurer, Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk, Ron Duerr, Ruth Foley, Ambulance Board Rep., and Darien Oberhart.

The Minutes of the August 28, 2017 Regular Meeting were amended to read that Board Member Bernard Trebian was present.  T. Townsend moved, L. Duerr seconded that the Minutes be approved as amended.  All voted aye.

L. Duerr moved, T. Townsend seconded to accept the Treasurer’s Report as presented and to place it on file.  All voted aye.

The September bills were reviewed.  T. Townsend moved, Trebian seconded that the September bills be approved for payment.  On roll call vote, all voted aye.

PUBLIC HEARINGS/CORRESPONDENCE

A) Ambulance Board – Ruth Foley had previously emailed the Minutes from the Ambulance Board of Directors August 24th.  She stated that the next meeting will be Thursday, September 28th.

B) S.M. Chamber –  Chamber meeting is scheduled for October 4th at Dittmar Farms, Elizabeth, IL.

C) Governor’s Announcement of SBA Assistance for Jo Daviess County for July Floods – an email was received from Chuck Pedersen which gave details on the availability of assistance from the SBA in the form of low-interest, long-term loans for recovery from the floods.  Persons can contact the SBA at (800)659-2955, emailing disastercustomerservice@sba.gov or visiting SBA’s website at http://www.sba.gov/disaster.  It is the belief of the Village Board that no business in the Village suffered an amount of damage which would necessitate this assistance.

D) Other – Nothing

PUBLIC WORKS

A) Monthly Report – Ron Duerr reported: 1) he has gotten the last load of cold patch for the year and is using it to patch the streets; 2) the new bucket for the skid loader has been installed.

B) Operation/Maintenance/Streets Committee Report – Davis stated he met with Brian Nott of Fehr Graham and the bid opening for the previously discussed level binder work will be on Tuesday, October 10th at 10:00 a.m. at the Stone House.  Board Members are invited to attend.  A Special Board Meeting may be required to accept a bid and approve the work to be done.  Davis will take care of posting the meeting and notifying Board Members if necessary.

C) Sewer & Water Operations Committee Report – Ron Duerr stated the committee needs to meet to discuss work to be done on the second pump house.

Minutes – Regular Meeting, September 25, 2017 – Page 2

ZONING REPORT 

A) Update on Building Permits – Bader – Joe Lee was not present at the meeting so there was no input on Building Permits.  B) Other – None

POLICE REPORT

Officer Oberhart reported he continues to work with Mark Petsche and Vernon Wills on the ordinance violations.

OLD BUSINESS

A) Updates to Committees – President Davis presented the updated appointments to the committees as follows:  Streets/Maintenance – John Duerr, Chair, Art Morby, Thomas Townsend; Sewer/Water – Art Morby, Chair, Bernard Trebian, John Duerr; Finance – Thomas Townsend, Chair, Lindsey Duerr, Art Morby; Public Events/Safety – John Duerr, Chair, Shannon Driscoll, Bernard Trebian; Trees/Sidewalks – Bernard Trebian, Chair, Thomas Townsend, Shannon Driscoll; Parks/Special Projects – Shannon Driscoll, Chair, Lindsey Duerr, Art Morby; Ordinance/Policy – Lindsey Duerr, Chair, John Duerr, Art Morby.   Davis suggested that when any big projects are being proposed, local contractors be made aware of the opportunity to bid on the work.

B) Update on Proposed Facebook Page – Davis stated he talked with Attorney Terry Kurt regarding the Village having a Facebook Page.  Kurt does not foresee any issues with this and suggested that it be presented as an informational tool.  Driscoll and L. Duerr will work on getting the page put together.

C) Generator for Stone House – Prices – Davis sated the pricing he obtained for a 17 KW generator would be approximately $5,000 plus installation.   He also stated John Duerr has been looking into prices and since he was absent from this meeting, the subject was tabled to the October Regular Board Meeting.

D) Other – None

OTHER COMMITTEE REPORTS

A) – Finance – Emily Doland reported the IL Department of Revenue is not going to recoup the Personal Property Tax as they had previously proposed.

B) Park & Special Projects – Discussion was held on the proposed Splash Pad regarding where to locate it, liability, and vandalism.  Also discussed was picking parts of the project which could be completed yet this fall and making sure local people are aware of the project so they can bid on it.  The things that could be done now are burying the electrical throughout the park, putting a second electrical entrance near the pavilion and any sidewalk work.  Shannon will discuss all of this with Bridgette Stocks in order to get the bidding process started.

C) Public Events & Safety – Trick or Treat will be held on Tuesday, October 31st,  from 5:30 to 7:30.  This will be a change in start time from 6:00 to 5:30.  The committee is also planning to hold a Halloween Party on Friday evening, October 27th at the Town Hall.  Information on the party will be posted on Facebook, in The Weekly Visitor, at school and in local businesses.

D) Trees & Sidewalks – The Methodist Church personnel have presented a bill for the Village’s share of the sidewalk which was replaced this summer.

E) Policy Committee – No Report

F) Stone House Committee Pro Tem – Davis stated he has a call in to Jim Baranski but has not yet heard back from him.

Minutes – Regular Meeting, September 25, 2017 – Page 3

NEW BUSINESS

A) Red Cross Storm Damage Clean Up Kits Returned – Clerk Townsend informed the Board she contacted Chuck Pedersen of the County Emergency and offered to return the majority of the buckets the Red Cross had provided so if need be, they can be sent to the hurricane/flood victims in Texas.  Pedersen did come and take all but 3 or 4 of the buckets.

B) LP Fall Contract/Summer Fill – A contract was received from Saam Propane for LP.  The price is $1.04.  Davis will find out how many gallons were used last season and then contract accordingly.

C) Other – Nothing

MONTHLY REVIEWS

A) Ordinance Violations – Discussion was held on the list of delinquent utility bills.  It was agreed to notify the four residents that are over 90 days delinquent on Tuesday, September 26th that their water will be shut off that day.  They need to pay their bill, in full, at Steve Stadel’s office before the service will be turned back on.

B) Website – Nothing

C) Brainstorming – Nothing

CLOSED SESSION – None

ADJOURNMENT

L. Duerr moved, T. Townsend seconded that the meeting be adjourned at 7:55 p.m.  All voted aye.

These Minutes are subject to approval at the next Regular Board Meeting.   Minutes are also available online at www.scalesmound.com

_____________________________________                                    Village President

ATTEST:  ___________________________________                                                          Village Clerk