Minutes for October 24, 2016 Meeting


Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees

Stone House

October 24, 2016

7:00 P.M.

The Regular Meeting of the President and Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, October 24, 2016 by President Davis.  Members present were Ruth Foley, Chris Schultz and Carrie Stier.  Members John Duerr and Ken Plath were absent.  Also present were Emily Doland, sitting in for Treasurer, Steve Stadel,  Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk, Ron Duerr and Joe Lee.

 Schultz moved, Foley seconded that the Minutes of the September 26, 2016 Regular Meeting be approved as read.  All voted aye.

 Foley moved, Schultz seconded to accept the Treasurer’s Report and to place it on file.  All voted aye.

 The October bills were reviewed.  Foley moved, Stier seconded that the October bills be approved for payment.  On roll call vote, Schultz, aye; Davis, aye; Stier, aye; Foley, aye.  Motion carried.


A) Ambulance Board – No Report

B) S.M. Chamber – Davis reported they are working on the Christmas lights and they would like to switch to the smaller LED lights in the future.  The Annual Christmas Party will be Sunday, November 27th.

C) Thank You Letter from Research for the Kids Ride Event – A letter from the Ride for the Kids Committee was read.  They wanted to thank all of those involved with traffic control for the event.  The 8th Annual event raised $209,468.29 overall and will benefit pediatric brain tumor and heart defect research at University of Iowa Children’s Hospital in Iowa City.

D) IDOT Letter Introducing new Local Roads Field Engineer – Mr. Shawn Ortgiesen is the new Local Roads Field Engineer for Jo Daviess County.

E) Other – None

PUBLIC WORKS – A) Monthly Report – Ron Duerr reported: 1) there was a water main leak at the corner of North Avenue and Franklin Street on Sunday.  A hole had rusted through an elbow in the line.  Tim Brant of Utilities, Inc. had some newer replacement parts on hand.  Winter Plumbing installed those parts and the Village will be billed for them.  It was agreed to purchase more of those parts to have on hand.  They will be of the same materials but the parts will be new.  This is the second occurrence of this sort in 6 years. 

2) Chad from Performance Pipeline, the company that did the sewer lining, was onsite with Ron and looked at the 7 manholes that need to be raised.  On most of the manholes, a 4’ x 4’ cement pad is sufficient but because of the pitch, etc. of the Village streets, some of them will need to be a 10’ x 10’ pad.  The approximate cost for each is $1900.  This work needs to be done before the streets are sealcoated next year.  After further discussion, Foley moved, Schultz seconded to proceed and have the work done on the 7 designated manholes this fall.  On roll call vote, Stier, aye; Foley, aye; Schultz, aye; Davis, aye.  Motion carried.

Minutes – Regular Meeting, October 24, 2016 – Page 2

 3) he has a concern regarding speed limit signs on Franklin Street.  There is a “Reduced Speed Ahead” and a 30 MPH sign at the edge of the Village; then there is not another sign for several blocks until you reach the south side of Mason Avenue where there is a 25 MPH sign.  It was agreed that Ron should look into either getting an additional 25 MPH sign from the County or moving the current one up to replace the 30 MPH.  Ron will check with the county to see if they agree to lower the speed limit to 25; 4) someone ran into the “road closed” sign which had been placed at the water main break.  It was agreed that Ron should get whatever signage he needs for better safety control in work areas.

 C) Sewer & Water Operations Committee Report – Stier expressed concerns about nitrates in the water system.  She had read an article regarding some local communities and the problems and expenses they are facing.  Davis stated the reports for the Village’s system show compliance.  He also stated that the major influx is from the farms, not the municipalities.  Cities do put some nitrates in the waterways from their wastewater systems but much, much more comes from the farms.


 POLICE REPORT – 1) Carrie Stier reported that Officer Oberhart has given an ultimatum to the owners of the Pitbull that attacked her.  If they do not cooperate, Stier will move forward with her attorney.  2) Darin will be in town on Halloween to help patrol the streets for the Trick or Treaters.


A) Surveillance Cameras at the Park – Update – Township officials have said that it is okay to use the Town Hall for the Village’s equipment if they go forward with the cameras.  The Village will respect any laws governing video cameras. 

B) Possible Use of Grant Monies for Stone House for Generator – Davis reported he spoke with Bridgette Stocks regarding the grant monies.  She stated that neither a generator nor the design phase would qualify.  He asked if the Board would like to proceed on a generator.  The consensus of the Board was to be pro-active in this and agreed that Davis should work with Tony Edwards Electric to determine the correct size and come back to the Board with an estimate. 

C) Board Vacancy – With it being so late in the year and the Consolidated Election approaching in April, it was agreed to wait until the election to fill the vacancy.

D) Other – None


A) Finance – 1) Audit will be completed and ready for presentation at the November Regular Board Meeting.

B) Park & Special Projects – 1) OSLAD Grant – Any new Information from Fehr-Graham – Davis reported that Bridgette Stocks has agreed to come up and go over the scope of the park improvement project.  Suggestions for considerations are: a) additional lights on the north side; b) a decorative topper on the bandstand; and, c) more aesthetically pleasing lights in the center of the park.  Davis will attempt to get a date set for a meeting with Bridgette.

2) After further discussion, Schultz moved, Foley seconded to allow up to $500 for bulbs for the strings of Christmas lights.  On roll call vote, Foley, aye; Schultz, aye; Davis, aye; Stier, aye.  Motion carried.

 C) Public Events & Safety – 1) Reminder that Halloween Trick or Treat is Monday, October 31st from 6p.m. to 8 p.m.

Minutes – Regular Meeting, October 24, 2016 – Page 3

 2) The annual Chamber/Town Christmas Party will be held at the Town Hall on Sunday, November 27, 2016 from 3p.m. to 5 p.m. with the tree lighting in the Village Park at 5:10 p.m.

D) Trees & Sidewalks – No Report                                                                                                              

E) Stone House Committee Pro Tem – No Report

F) Policy Committee Pro Tem – Chris Schultz, Chair, stated he will get with Plath and Duerr to set a time for a meeting to work on the Animal Control regulations. 



A) Ordinance Violations – A short discussion was held on the never ending problem of the wipes in the sewer system.  It is an ongoing problem that unfortunately will never, never go away as long as those products are on the market.

B) Website – No Discussion

C) Brainstorming – Nothing


 ADJOURNMENT – Foley moved, Schultz seconded that the meeting be adjourned at 8:00 p.m.  All voted aye.

These Minutes are subject to approval at the next Regular Board Meeting.  Minutes are also available online at www.scalesmound.com



             Village President


ATTEST:  _______________________________________

                                      Village Clerk