Minutes for May 30, 2017 Meeting

VILLAGE OF SCALES MOUND

Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees

Stone House

May 30, 2017

7:00 P.M.

 The Regular Meeting of the President and Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 by President Davis.  Members present were Shannon Driscoll, John Duerr, Lindsey Duerr, Art Morby and Thomas Townsend.  Also present were Steve Stadel, Village Treasurer, Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk, Ron Duerr, Darin Oberhart, Ron Staver and Chris Schultz.

J. Duerr moved, T. Townsend seconded that the Minutes of the April 24, 2017 Regular Meeting, both Open and Closed Sessions be approved as read.  All voted aye.

T. Townsend moved, Morby seconded to accept the Treasurer’s Report as presented and to place it on file.  All voted aye.

The May bills were reviewed.  L. Duerr moved, J. Duerr seconded that the May bills be approved for payment.  On roll call vote, all voted aye.

PUBLIC HEARINGS/CORRESPONDENCE

A) Ambulance Board – After discussion of a Village representative to the Ambulance Board, Davis stated he would check with Ruth Foley to see if she is interested in continuing on in that aspect, or if she is not, Shannon Driscoll stated she would be willing to be the rep.

B) S.M. Chamber – Davis reported the Chamber met in April.  One of the items discussed was a different location for the Farmer’s Market.  Bridget Zurcher is the head of the Farmer’s Market and is working on a location that best fits the needs and doesn’t cause traffic congestion.  The Market will start in June.

C) Letter from IL Historic Preservation Agency Re: Stone House Renovation – The letter states that the project meets with the Secretary of the Interior’s “Standards for Rehabilitation and Guidelines for Rehabilitating Historic Buildings” provided the three conditions listed in the letter are met.  Davis will respond to the Agency in regard to these conditions.

D) Mediacom Letter – Annual Customer Service Report/No Action Needed – This is a notice required by state statute.  The letter stated that the “report is not specific to your area and may not contain any information directly related to your community.”

E) Other – Nothing

 PUBLIC WORKS

A) Monthly Report – None

B)  Operation/Maintenance/Streets Committee Report – 1) Update from Fehr Graham on Street Project Bids, etc. – There was no Committee Meeting, however Ron Duerr reported that Brian Nott was in town today.  He was doing some more measuring and will come up with a plan within budget.  The results are expected soon and a special meeting may be needed to approve the plan.  It was stated that more leveling work needs to be done in some areas and when done, those areas should not be coated the same year.  So, some of the work may be a two year project.  Davis explained why it is much cheaper to do seal coat as opposed to blacktop in the State of Illinois.

Minutes – Regular Meeting, May 30, 2017 – Page 2

 C) Sewer & Water Operations Committee Report – None

 ZONING REPORT  – A building permit and fees were received from Sheri Grindey for demolition and replacement of a garage.  A question was asked as to whether Bader Cabinets had a building permit for a building recently built on their property on Provost Avenue.  Davis will check with Joe Lee, Zoning Administrator on this.

POLICE REPORT – Officer Oberhart presented a list of properties in violation of Village ordinances.  Clerk Townsend will send letters to the property owners. 

OLD BUSINESS

A) Appointment to Fill Board Vacancy – Tabled to Closed Session for further discussion.

B) Possible Appointment of Committees, Ambulance Board Rep. – Ambulance Board Rep was previously discussed.  Appointment of the remaining committees was postponed until such time the sixth Village Trustee position is filled.

C) Report on Joint Review Board Meeting – At this time, Davis explained to the Board what a TIF District is and discussed the status of the Scales Mound TIF District.  He stated that the meeting is something which is required to be held once a year.  Those in attendance this year were Dr. Caron, Steve Stadel, Marvin Schultz and Davis.  There were no new concerns presented at the meeting.

D) Other – Nothing

OTHER COMMITTEE REPORTS

A) Finance – Committee not yet appointed.  Discussion was held on the upcoming Appropriation Ordinance.  Steve Stadel offered to print out last fiscal year’s expenditures and appropriations to help in the preparation of the ordinance.  Davis will prepare the Ordinance.

B) Park & Special Projects – 1) Update from Committee Meeting May 23, 2017 – Chairperson Shannon Driscoll reviewed the minutes from the Committee Meeting held with Bridgette Stocks of Fehr Graham in attendance.  She stated the expiration of the grant will be in September of 2018 and there is approximately $11,823 of grant allotted funds remaining.  The next step is to get estimates on sidewalks, lighting, park benches and electrical work since these were included in the original grant.

C) Public Events & Safety – Committee not yet appointed

D) Trees & Sidewalks – Committee not yet appointed

E) Stone House Committee Pro Tem – Committee not yet appointed

F) Policy Committee Pro Tem – Committee not yet appointed

NEW BUSINESS

A) SMRA/Celebration of Village’s 165th Anniversary – Chris Schultz spoke with the Board regarding the fact that 2018 will be the 165th Anniversary of the Village.  He stated that the SMRA is willing to be in charge of the celebration and questioned if the Village’s insurance would cover the parade, etc.  He also stated that the dates would be June 22, 23rd and 24th in 2018.  T. Townsend moved, J. Duerr seconded to allow the SMRA to host the celebration event.  All voted aye.  Davis stated that the Village’s insurance allows for one such event a year.

B) Other – 1) Art Morby stated that Steve Koester has discussed with him that a wire that is attached to a pole on his property needs to be repaired or removed.  Davis stated Steve, as a home owner, should contact Frontier Telephone Company and have them come out and inspect the situation. 

Minutes – Regular Meeting, May 30, 2017 – Page 3

 2) John Duerr brought up the fact that the Emergency Planning Manuals need to be updated.  He will check with Ruth Foley to see if the information is still on her computer and could be readily updated.

MONTHLY REVIEWS

A) Ordinance Violations – Nothing further

B) Website – Nothing

C) Brainstorming – Davis stated he is still working on an attempt to bring in a better, less expensive WIFI package for residents of the Village. 

CLOSED SESSION

J. Duerr moved, Morby seconded to enter into Closed Session at 8:05 p.m. as allowed by Open Meeting Law Section 2 (c) 1 to discuss personnel.  On roll call vote, all voted aye.

J. Duerr moved, Morby seconded to return to Open Session at 8:25 p.m.  On roll call vote, all voted aye.

There was no action as a result of the Closed Session.

A question was asked as to the status of the ordinance violation by Melisa Pehl with the chickens.  Davis stated she had 60 days to comply with the ordinance which will be the end of June.  Melisa is said to be concerned with the number of chickens allowed.

ADJOURNMENT

J. Duerr moved, L. Duerr seconded that the meeting be adjourned at 8:30 p.m.  All voted aye.

These Minutes are subject to approval at the next Regular Board Meeting.  Minutes are also available online at www.scalesmound.com

 

                                                                                                 _________________________________

                    Village President

 

ATTEST: ______________________________________

                                         Village Clerk