Minutes for May 29, 2018 Meeting

VILLAGE OF SCALES MOUND

Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees

Stone House

May 29, 2018

7:00 P.M.

The Regular Meeting of the President and Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, May 29, 2018 by President Davis.  Members present were Shannon Driscoll, John Duerr, Lindsey Duerr, Art Morby and Bernard Trebian.  Also present were Emily Stadel Doland for Steve Stadel, Village Treasurer, Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk, Ron Duerr, Ruth Foley and Darin Oberhart.

J. Duerr moved, Trebian seconded that the Minutes of the April 30, 2018 Regular Meeting be approved as read. All voted aye.

A question was asked regarding the TIF balance on the Treasurer’s Report.  Davis explained there is a $28,000 balance in the TIF account and also there are funds available in the Economic Development Fund which can be used for TIF development.  He also explained that the minus “Fund Balance” that you see is shown so that if there is a balance left after the TIF is over, the Village can claim those funds for its share of the development.  L. Duerr moved, Trebian seconded to accept the Treasurer’s Report as presented and to place it on file.  All voted aye.

The May bills were reviewed.  J. Duerr moved, Morby seconded that the May bills with the addition of one to Rolf Gustus in the amount of $105.00 for LED light bulbs for the park fixtures be approved for payment.  On roll call vote, all voted aye.

PUBLIC HEARINGS/CORRESPONDENCE

A) Ambulance Board – Ruth Foley reported everything is being handled pretty well. She also stated that the busy season for the ambulance service is approaching.

B) M. Chamber – President Davis reported the Chamber, in an effort to promote fellowship in the Village, is sponsoring free ice cream in the Village park every Wednesday evening in June from 6 to 8 p.m.

C) CCP Railroad – Petition to ICC for Extended time to complete Crossing Safety Work – The CCP railroad was granted an extension to December 2019 to complete the crossing project.

D) Other – Clerk Townsend mentioned she received an email from Blackhawk Hills regarding the BHRC Annual Meeting/Spring Summit at Livengood’s Barn in Chadwick, IL on June 11. The speaker will be Aaron Kennedy, the founder of Noodles & Company. Anyone interested in attending can contact her for more information.

PUBLIC WORKS

A) Monthly Report – 1) Update on Street Name Signs – Duerr reported the signs have been ordered. 2) A discussion was held on the water being pumped onto the street from the basements in buildings on North Avenue. The consensus of the Board was to go ahead and do whatever needs to be done to avoid this happening in the future.  A fire truck will be used to attempt to pump out the pipe between the Distler house and the Stier building.  There are several options being considered to fix the problem.

B) Operations/Maintenance/Streets Committee Report – 1) Fehr Graham Letter – Bid Date & Time/Street Maintenance Program – Notice was received from Fehr Graham that the bid date and time has been set for Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 10:00 a.m., at the Stone House.

Minutes – Regular Meeting, May 29, 2018 – Page 2

C) Sewer & Water Operations Committee Report – Ron Duerr reported that the new water meter is here and he is waiting for someone to come and install it. The wells are fixed and the blower building is working as it should.

 ZONING – Joe Lee was unable to attend this meeting but should be available for the June meeting.

POLICE – Officer Oberhart reported on several ordinance violations he has been working on.

OLD BUSINESS

A) What Action the Board wants to take on the Pehl Legal Issue – After discussion, it was agreed to send a certified letter to Melisa Pehl informing her that the Board will be repealing and re-adopting An Ordinance for Keeping Chickens at the June Regular Board Meeting, and, that there is a time provided on the Agenda for Public Comments if she so desires to discuss it with the Board. A copy of the ordinance will be included with the letter.

B) Fill Board Vacancy or wait for 2019 Election – After discussion, the consensus of the Board was that since the seat has not been filled to date, it is advisable to wait for the April 2019 Election to fill it.

C) Joint Review Board Meeting set for June 6, 2018 – Clerk Townsend reported the JRB meeting has been set for 1:00 p.m. on Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at the Stone House.

D) Discussion on Wills Water/Wastewater Charges – Davis reported that after reviewing the information provided by the Village Treasurer, it was discovered Wills was mistakenly not charged for garbage service since May of 2016, therefore the actual amount owed to the Village is over $2200 as opposed to the amount listed on the Over Due Accounts list. After discussion, it was agreed that the Board would accept the $1,648.50 listed plus $153.00 for lien release fees and the $50.00 fee established to turn the water service back on. Art Morby agreed to speak with Vernon Wills on this matter.

E) OtherBack up Generator for Stone House – a representative from Kohler gave an estimate of $6500 for an air cooled generator, installed. Davis stated a Generac generator would be cheaper and he will check with them for an estimate.  John Duerr will check with Farm and Fleet on a Generac.  Further discussion will be held at the June Regular Board Meeting.

F) Other – Notices should be sent to those with delinquent utility bills that the shut off date is July 15.

OTHER COMMITTEE REPORTS

A) Finance – Discussion on Auditor Contract for 2018 – After discussion it was agreed to keep with the O’Connor & Brooks firm for the pending audit. Driscoll moved, J. Duerr seconded to enter into the contract with O’Connor & Brooks for the FY 2017 Audit. On roll call vote, all voted aye. B) Park & Special Projects – Update on Park Project – Driscoll reviewed the contract documents from PCI for the park project. Driscoll moved, L. Duerr seconded to accept the Agreement with PCI and the Notice to Proceed. All voted aye.

C) Public Events & Safety – No Report

D) Trees & Sidewalks – No Report

E) Policy Committee – Consideration of an Ordinance Pertaining to Solicitation – L. Duerr and Jim Davis are putting information together.

F) Stone House Committee Pro Tem – No Report

Minutes – Regular Meeting, May 29, 2018 – Page 3

Board Member Driscoll left the meeting at 8:15 p.m.

G) Subdivision/TIF Committee Pro Tem – Possible Approval of Engineering Costs for Proposed TIF Development – Lindsey Duerr stated that after discussion with Fehr Graham and the TIF Attorney, it is estimated that the engineering fees are about 7% of the proposed costs of the project. Other things mentioned: if it is built on private property, the developer would not have to pay prevailing wage; the project has to be done so that it will be accepted by the Board; there would need to be a signed agreement with the Developer and the Board; it would have to be inspected by the Engineers before it is turned over.  President Davis explained that there actually is a way to extend the TIF from 23 to 35 years.  He stated that the Il General Assembly gets involved and it is a long process.  He mentioned also that after the first 23 years you could do another TIF on just the property someone wants to develop but that also is a long almost impossible thing to do.  Lindsey agreed to talk with Dan Davis on what she has come up with so far.

NEW BUSINESS – None

MONTHLY REVIEWS

A) Ordinance Violations – 1) Any Results Regarding last month’s Legal Issues – already discussed. 2) List of violators of grass and vehicle ordinances – Officer Oberhart is working on this.

B) Website – Nothing

C) Brainstorming – Nothing

CLOSED SESSION

Morby moved, Trebian seconded to enter into Closed Session at 8:45 p.m. as allowed by Open Meeting Law, Sec 2 (c) 11 to discuss possible litigation.  On roll call vote, all voted aye.

Morby moved, Trebian seconded to return to Open Session at 9:00 p.m.  On roll call vote, all voted aye.

There was no action taken as a result of the Closed Session.

ADJOURNMENT

J. Duerr moved, Trebian seconded that the meeting be adjourned at 9:05 p.m. All voted aye.

These Minutes are subject to approval at the next Regular Board Meeting.  Minutes are also available online at www.scalesmound.com

__________________________________

Village President

ATTEST:  ______________________________________

Village Clerk