Minutes for March 27, 2017 Meeting


Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees

Stone House

March 27, 2017
7:00 P.M.

The Regular Meeting of the President and Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, March 27, 2017 by President Davis.  Members present were John Duerr, Ruth Foley and Chris Schultz.  At this time there remains only three Trustees on the Board, so with President Davis and three Board Members present, a quorum is achieved.  Also present were Steve Stadel, Village Treasurer, Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk, Ron Duerr,

DarinOberhart, Joe Lee and Bernard Trebian. 

J. Duerr moved, Foley seconded that the Minutes of the February 27, 2017 Regular Meeting  be approved as read.  All voted aye.

Foley moved, J. Duerr seconded to accept the Treasurer’s Report as presented and to place it on file.  All voted aye.

The March bills were reviewed.  Treasurer Stadel explained that the bill from Jo Daviess County GIS was billed incorrectly in February, which is why it shows up on both February and March bills.  The correct amount is $270.00.  The following bills were added:  1) $17.00, Apple River State Bank for a rubber endorsement stamp; 2) $326.40 to NW IL Criminal Justice Enforcement Training.  Foley moved, Schultz seconded that the March bills with additions as specified be approved for payment.  On roll call vote, all voted aye.  Stadel stated that the notices regarding delinquent utility accounts are sent out on colored paper twice a year.  The majority of the delinquent accounts were cleared up after the January notices.


A) Ambulance Board – Ruth Foley reported calls for the ambulance have been high.  She also stated they are busy preparing for the May 7, 2017 Open House.

B) S.M. Chamber – No Report

C) Other – A brief discussion was held on ATV and Utility Vehicles on Village and Township streets and roads.  Steve Stadel explained that the Township is working with the County on possibly requiring licensing of these vehicles.  He stated that in Wisconsin, the fee is $30.00 for two years.  This creates a sizable fee income for the licensing entity.


A) Monthly Report – Duerr reported he had a problem with the 3 phase at the lift station and had to have Tony Edwards Electric repair it. 

B) Operation/Maintenance/Streets Committee Report – Bidding has been done.  Jim will check with Brian Nott on the status of the Village’s project. 

C) Sewer & Water Operations Committee Report – No Report


Joe Lee, Zoning Administrator, presented a permit and fees for Greg Duerr for an in ground swimming pool.  He stated everything is okay with the application.

Minutes – Regular Meeting, March 27, 2017 – Page 2


Darin reported he is continuing to work on ordinance violations and is allowing ample time for property owners to do a spring clean up of their properties.  He stated he has issued a citation to someone he had talked to last month regarding having no driver’s license and when rechecking this month found out the gentleman still had not attempted to get his license but continues to drive.  A question was asked about open burning.  Davis stated that is addressed in the Village Code.  Clerk Townsend will have the regulations published in the Weekly Visitor.  Also mentioned was that an area wide “Shred Event” is scheduled for April 22, 2017 at the Elizabeth Community Building from 9 a.m. to noon.  Townsend will look into getting something on that published as well.


A) Information from Jim Baranski on Proceeding with Stone House Remodel – Davis has not heard back from Baranski.

B) Other – Nothing


A) Finance – No Report

B) Park & Special Projects – No Report

C) Public Events & Safety – Annual Easter Party, Saturday, April 8, 2017 – The party is scheduled for Saturday, April 8, from 1 – 2 p.m. at the Town Hall.  Schultz stated he will advertise the event for two weeks.

D) Trees & Sidewalks – There is a large old pine tree near the Methodist Church on Mason Avenue which needs work done on it and there is one tree in the Village park that needs to be looked at and probably removed.  Mediacom will need to remove or bury the cable that has been attached to that tree for more than a year.  Ron/Jim will contact them.

E) Stone House Committee Pro Tem – Nothing further.

F) Policy Committee Pro Tem – 1) Report from Meeting on Animal Control Ordinance – The committee met with President Davis and Attorney Terry Kurt on March 15th.  Board Members had previously received a copy of the minutes from the committee meeting.  They discussed exploring the possibility of setting up an Administrative Law Judge which would keep local ordinance control local. 


A) Action on Animal Control Ordinance Changes – President Davis presented two proposed ordinances.  One being “An Ordinance for Keeping Chickens” and a second one entitled “An Amendment to Title 4, Animal Control, Chapter 3, Sections 4-3-1 thru 4-3-6 of the Scales Mound Village Code.”  A brief discussion was held.  Board Member Ruth Foley, having not been involved in the committee’s preparation of the ordinances, asked to table any action on the ordinances until the April Regular Meeting so she could have time to read through them.  The consensus of the Board was to postpone action until April.

B) Renew Liquor Licenses Now, Effective May 1, 2017 – Clerk Townsend stated that in previous years, liquor license holders have requested their renewals be done in April to coincide with the State’s licenses.  It was agreed to issue the licenses upon request and receipt of the license fee.  The renewed  licenses will be effective May 1, 2017.

Minutes – Regular Meeting, March 27, 2017 – Page 3

C) Reminder to file Statement of Economic Interest – Clerk Townsend reminded Board Members that the statements need to be filed by May 1.  The State imposes a $15 penalty through May 15 and a higher penalty after that until filed.

D) Reminder to Vote – Tuesday, April 4, 2017 – Clerk Townsend reminded Board Members of the date of the Consolidated Election.  Steve Stadel mentioned that the Council Hill-Guilford-Scales Mound Multi-Township Assessing District has a Proposition on the Ballot to Increase the Extension Limitation.  He stated that the approximate amount of the increase to a single family residence having a Fair Market Value at the time of the Referendum of $100,000 is estimated to be $1.67.  They have not been collecting taxes for a few years to pay an Assessor, and that needs to change as the fund for that purpose has been depleted.  He encouraged those present to vote “yes” on the proposition.

E) Other – None


A) Ordinance Violations – Nothing further

B) Website – Nothing

C) Brainstorming – 1) A question was asked if the Village can condemn a house as being unsafe.  Davis stated a certified inspector would have to be brought in to inspect the building.  He also stated that there are provisions in the Historic Preservation Ordinance which state that a house cannot be demolished by neglect.  This particular matter will continue to be looked at.

2) Mention was made that the roadway and sides of the street in the area between the Mulgrew building and the Fire House is deteriorating.  That stretch of the road is actually owned by the County so they should be notified.


ADJOURNMENT – J. Duerr moved, Schultz seconded that the meeting be adjourned at 8:35 p.m.  All voted aye.

These Minutes are subject to approval at the next Regular Board Meeting.  Minutes are also available online at www.scalesmound.com


Village President


ATTEST:  __________________________________

                                      Village Clerk