Minutes for March 26, 2018 Meeting

VILLAGE OF SCALES MOUND

Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees

Stone House

March 26, 2018

7:00 P.M.

The Regular Meeting of the President and Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, March 26, 2018 by President Davis.  Members present were Shannon Driscoll, John Duerr, Lindsey Duerr, Art Morby and Bernard Trebian.  Also present were Steve Stadel, Village Treasurer, Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk and Ron Duerr.

Clerk Townsend stated the Board needs to make a motion to add Steve Stadel to the Agenda under Zoning.  J. Duerr moved, Driscoll seconded to make the addition to the Agenda.  All voted aye.

Trebian moved, L. Duerr seconded that the Minutes of the February 26, 2018 Regular Meeting be approved as read.  All voted aye.

Duerr moved, Morby seconded to accept the Treasurer’s Report as presented and to place it on file. All voted aye.

The March bills were reviewed.  Morby moved, L. Duerr seconded that the March bills, with the addition of one to the IEPA in the amount of $1,283.04 for water sample testing be approved for payment.  On roll call vote, all voted aye.

PUBLIC HEARINGS/CORRESPONDENCE

A) Ambulance Board – Ruth Foley was unable to attend the meeting so she submitted the following report by email: There is going to be a protocol review for Scales Mound Fire on April 7 from 9-3 put on by MercyHealth, Rockford; there is an EMR Program at Galena EMS garage starting April 10th thru June 24th (Tues-Thurs) 90 hours; Board is starting to work on FY 2018-19 Budget; met with LifeStar who does the billing for the service to review what they do; started to work on land purchase from Midwest Medical Center; appointed a new Treasurer; set the upcoming year’s meeting dates; and, approved an accounting firm for financial matters.

B) M. Chamber – No Report

C) ICC Approval of Improvements at various Railroad Crossings in County – Clerk Townsend reported that she has been receiving copies of the Railroad Safety Program Administrator of the ICC approved Resolutions for Improvements to Railroad Crossings for those crossings east of the Village. Construction should begin soon.

D) Other – None

PUBLIC WORKS

A) Monthly Report Update on Street Name Signs – Ron Duerr reported the list of street names has been given to Jim Goken of Jo Daviess County Highway Department. Goken will send them in to the company; they will do a proof and return it to us for review of spelling. Once they have the Village’s approval the signs will then be ordered.  The signs will be reflective.

B) Operation/Maintenance/Streets Committee Report – 1) Information from Committee Meeting March 7, 2018 – Brian Nott suggested doing additional base repair in some areas. The Committee recommended to the Board to do all the streets and do some needed base repairs on Lincoln Street. It was agreed that the Street Committee needs to meet again to consider the most recent information from Fehr Graham..

Minutes – Regular Meeting, March 26, 2018 – Page 2

C) Sewer & Water Operations Committee Report – No Report

ZONING REPORT

A) Bader Building Permit – Joe Lee, Zoning Administrator reportedly has the paperwork but has not yet submitted it to the Board.

B) Other – Steve Stadel – Steve presented a handout to the Board which explained his opinions and also some facts regarding the apartment in the lower level he has rented out in his building on North Avenue which is in a Commercial Zoned area. He believes the Zoning classification is incorrect and is asking the Board to “re-zone it to either Mixed Use (Commercial and Residential) or to Residential with a grandfathered clause for the West half of the downstairs”. President Davis explained the decisions made at the time the Zoning map was developed and stated that Zoning classification is put in place as a determination of not what was presently in that area but what was the best determination for the future so as to avoid spot zoning and to put each area into what best serves the Village plan.  It was meant to be a gradual elimination of what isn’t in the plan as set down at the time Zoning was implemented.

POLICE REPORT – In the absence of Officer Oberhart, Davis stated he has a list of properties which need to be cleaned up and brought into compliance with the ordinances which he will forward to Oberhart.

 OLD BUSINESS – None

 OTHER COMMITTEE REPORTS

A) Finance – No Report

B) Park & Special Projects – 1) Update on Park Project – After discussion of bids, it was agreed that the Committee should talk to PCI (bidder) about breaking down the bid before they speak with the Engineers again.

C) Public Events & Safety – L. Duerr reported that the Easter Party, after being rescheduled from Saturday to Sunday due to the weather went well with between 65 and 70 children in attendance.

D) Trees & Sidewalks – Trebian reported he and Jeremy Soppe again looked at the trees that are dying from the Ash Borers and that they will be removed as time and weather allows.

E) Policy Committee – 1) Consideration of an Ordinance Pertaining to Solicitation – No Report

F) Stone House Committee Pro Tem – No Report

G) Subdivision/TIF Committee Pro Tem – Driscoll reported they will use Fehr Graham Engineers as they feel they have the best interest of the Village at heart. This is in regard to the property Dan Davis has expressed an interest in developing. The consensus of the Board was to have the committee get an estimate from Fehr Graham for infrastructure.   Duerr will contact Bridgette Stocks regarding this matter.  Steve Stadel asked a question about TIF funding availability for the building he built on Jackson Street.  Davis explained that the building had already been built when Stadel first inquired about funding.  Davis also stated that the Village did move a fire hydrant and also changed the electric service location for Stadel’s convenience.

Minutes – Regular Meeting, March 26, 2018 – Page 3

NEW BUSINESS

A) Jo Daviess County GIS Website Subscription – Approval to Renew – Renewal fee had already been approved with the April bills.

B) Accept Resignation from Thomas Townsend as Village Trustee – The Board received an email from Townsend stating that “due to his recent move to Dubuque, he was resigning as Trustee effective March 26, 2018”. Trebian moved, J. Duerr seconded to accept the resignation with regrets. All voted aye.  “Thank you Thomas for your time and expertise.”

C) Discussion on Filling Board Vacancy – L. Duerr stated that Adam Werner has said he in the process of moving back to the Village and is interested in being appointed to fill the vacancy. Davis asked the Board to bring that name and any additional names forward at the April Regular Board Meeting for possible appointment.

D) Other – None

MONTHLY REVIEWS

A) Ordinance Violations – a question was asked about burn barrels. Davis stated that it is against the Village Code to have an open burn barrel.

B) Website – Nothing

C) Brainstorming – Nothing

CLOSED SESSION – None

ADJOURNMENT – J. Duerr moved, L. Duerr seconded that the Meeting be adjourned at 8:45 p.m.  All voted aye.

These Minutes are subject to approval at the next Regular Board Meeting.  Minutes are also available online at www.scalesmound.com

 

___________________________________

Village President

 

ATTEST:   _____________________________________

Village Clerk