Minutes for March 25, 2019 Meeting

VILLAGE OF SCALES MOUND
Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees
Stone House
March 25, 2019
7:00 P.M.

The Regular Meeting of the President and Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, March 25, 2019 by President Davis. Members present were Shannon Driscoll, John Duerr, Lindsey Duerr, Art Morby and Bernard Trebian. Also present were Steve Stadel, Village Treasurer, Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk, Ron Duerr, Ruth Foley, Joe Lee and Dan Davis.

The Minutes of the February 25, 2019 Regular Board Meeting were corrected as follows: On page 2, first paragraph, the second sentence should read: Art gave an estimate of up to $80,000 for a separate 40’ x 32’ building. The next sentence “Davis stated he would expect that costs would actually be double that amount” should be stricken from the Minutes. Also on Page 2, Public Events & Safety – Easter Party, it should read: The Easter Party is scheduled for Sunday, April 14, 2019 . . . . . L. Duerr moved, Driscoll seconded that the Minutes of the February 25, 2019 Regular Meeting be approved as corrected. All voted aye.

The Treasurer’s Report was reviewed. Trebian moved, Morby seconded to accept the Treasurer’s Report as presented and to place it on file. All voted aye.

The March bills were reviewed. On the report, in the “Purpose” column in the check for Shannon Driscoll, it should read Pay + 1 Special Meeting. L. Duerr moved, Trebian seconded that the March bills be approved for payment. On roll call vote, all voted aye.

Concerns were expressed regarding the overflowing dumpster at the Wisconsin Management Apartments on Jackson Street. President Davis stated he attempted to contact them and got no response and Treasurer Stadel stated he also attempted to contact them in regard to the delinquent water/sewer bill, with no response. It was stated that WM contracts directly with Montgomery Trucking for garbage pick up. After further discussion, it was agreed that something needs to be done immediately to get this cleaned up due to the threat of an invasion of raccoons, rats, mice, etc.. L. Duerr moved, J. Duerr seconded to contact Montgomery Trucking, owners of the dumpster, and if they are not being paid by the Management Company, ask them if they would come out and pick up all of the trash and then bill the Village for it. The Village will then go after the Management Company for reimbursement. On roll call vote, all voted aye. President Davis will contact Montgomery Trucking.

PUBLIC HEARINGS/CORRESPONDENCE
A) Ambulance Board – No Report – Meeting next week.
B) S.M. Chamber – No Report
C) Other – Nothing

PUBLIC WORKS
A) Monthly Report – Ron Duerr: 1) presented quotes on a new Skid Loader from K & L Bobcat and from Sloan Implement. He needs to find out from K & L what the trade in value would be. John Duerr stated that the Fire Department goes through HGACBuy.org which is a state affiliated group purchasing company. Also discussed was looking into the price of leasing a Skid Loader.
2) stated that the controls in the Blower Building need to be replaced. Brian of Fehr Graham will get a price to put in a whole new system. The current system has been there since the building was built. The consensus of the Board was to go ahead and replace the controls. The cost could be between $3,000 and $4,000. Brian has offered to put together some of the parts on his own time.

Minutes – Regular Meeting, March 25, 2019 – Page 2

3) The ponds need to have some sort of weed control because the duckweed is shutting off the sunlight which is needed to control the oxygen level. Ron will follow recommendations from the EPA.
4) The EPA requires that every year the Village must record how many different varieties of water lines there are that run from the main to the homes in the Village. They want to be assured that there is no lead in the system. Discussion was held on seeing if Fehr Graham might work with Ron on going door to door to inspect the water service lines as well as infiltration issues. President Davis stated he is meeting with Bridgett and Brian from Fehr Graham on Wednesday and he will talk to them about this issue at that time. It was agreed to put a notice in the paper explaining the EPA mandate before any inspections are done.

B) Operation/Maintenance/Streets Committee Report – No Report
C) Sewer & Water Operations Committee Report – It was agreed that it is time to review the cost to install water/wastewater service to a property.

ZONING REPORT – None
POLICE REPORT – Lindsey Duerr stated that Mike Brown has agreed to work for the Village in enforcement of the ordinances. After discussion, Davis stated he was appointing Mike Brown as Ordinance Enforcer at $17.50 an hour with a 2 hour minimum for each incident. L. Duerr moved, Driscoll seconded to accept the appointment. All voted aye. Details yet to be worked out are: will the Board consider him an employee or subcontractor; insurance coverage; and, what steps are necessary to get started.

OLD BUSINESS
A) Ordinance Violation Letters sent out in November – Properties still in Violation – A concern was expressed that it appears only one of the residents notified has cleaned up their property. Davis stated that the Policy/Ordinance Committee needs to meet to discuss these and other violations.
B) Other – Nothing

OTHER COMMITTEE REPORTS
A) Finance – No Report
B) Park & Special Projects – It was agreed that Ron Duerr should put more mulch under the swings in the Park. Discussion was held on painting the Bandstand. The structure needs to be checked for needed repairs before the painting is done. Shannon Driscoll will look into contractors. The little log cabin is also in need of repairs.
C) Public Events & Safety – Easter Party – Lindsey Duerr proposed that the Village purchase an Easter Bunny costume. There were no objections and Lindsey will take care of getting one. The Village sponsored party is scheduled for Sunday, April 14th from 1 to 2 p.m. at the Town Hall.
D) Trees & Sidewalks – There are Ash trees and Locust trees on Mason Avenue which need to be looked at. Davis and Trebian will talk to Soppe Tree Service regarding these trees.
E) Ordinance/Policy Committee – It was agreed to hold a Committee Meeting on Wednesday, April 3rd to discuss the ordinance violations and a plan to get Mike Brown started on enforcing the ordinances.
F) Stone House Committee Pro Tem – Information from Meeting 03/13/19 – Davis reported they met with Bridgette Stocks and made some small changes to the plan and also discussed methods for bidding the project. Bridgette will discuss the changes with Jim Baranski. Bridgette was unable to attend this evening’s meeting. Another Committee Meeting is being planned for Wednesday, March 27th at 9 a.m.

Minutes – Regular Meeting, March 25, 2019 – Page 3

G) TIF/Subdivision Committee Pro Tem – Dan Davis updated the Board on his TIF proposal. Items discussed were: 1) the initial proposal concept was scaled back from 10 to 5 acres with 8 to 10 lots; there will be a Lift Station; he received an estimate of $500,000 for roads, water and sewer. Fehr-Graham estimated $29,800 for designing the project; MSA proposed $30,000 for design which would include permit fees. 2) The Village would be shouldering the architectural and engineering design costs up to $35,000; 3) the amount of the TIF funds Davis would be entitled to would be negotiated; 4) once Davis decides if he is going to go forward with the project, the Village would need to get the TIF attorney involved. If he decides to not proceed, the Village would be out the amount it paid for the design phase. Jim Davis explained that that is the way TIF works and he hopes the Board agrees to support the proposal. The bottom line is that Dan Davis will be responsible for securing the land and for the infrastructure; the Village will be responsible for architectural and engineering fees. The Village will also need to determine to what extent they will need an onsite inspector. The consensus of the Board is that they are “still on board” for the $35,000. Dan Davis will now seek estimates of additional costs involved in the project to determine if he wants to proceed.

NEW BUSINESS
A) Appoint Zoning Board Members – President Davis stated he is appointing Chris Schultz and Zach Winter to the Zoning Board of Appeals. J. Duerr moved, L. Duerr seconded to accept the appointments. All voted aye. Davis stated they could still use 1 or 2 more members on the Board.
B) Preliminary Discussion on IML Recommended Expense Reimbursement Policy – Clerk Townsend presented information on an Expense Reimbursement Policy the IML has developed and a model ordinance adopting the policy. It is mandated that employers reimburse employees for certain work-related expenses; however the Expense Reimbursement Policy is not a requirement. Any action on this matter was tabled to see if additional information is received.
C) Reminder to Vote April 2, 2019 – the Consolidated Election is Tuesday, April 2, 2019. Everyone is encouraged to vote.
D) Reminder to File Statement of Economic Interest before May 1, 2019 Deadline – Clerk Townsend stated that the forms should be filed with the County before the deadline to avoid a penalty.
E) Other – None

MONTHLY REVIEWS
A) Ordinance Violations – Nothing more
B) Website – Nothing
C) Brainstorming – Nothing

CLOSED SESSION – None

ADJOURNMENT
J. Duerr moved, Morby seconded that the Meeting be adjourned at 8:55 p.m. All voted aye.

These Minutes are subject to approval at the next Regular Board Meeting. Minutes are also available online at www.scalesmound.com

_____________________________________
Village President

Attest: ____________________________________
Village Clerk