Minutes for June 24, 2019 Meeting

VILLAGE OF SCALES MOUND
Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees
Stone House
June 24, 2019
7:00 P.M.

The Regular Meeting of the President and Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, June 24, 2019 by President Davis. Members present were Nicole Busch, Shannon Driscoll, John Duerr, Lindsey Duerr, Ruth Foley and Bernard Trebian. Also present were Steve Stadel, Village Treasurer, Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk, and Ron Duerr.

J. Duerr moved, L. Duerr seconded that the Minutes of the May 28, 2019 Regular Meeting be approved as read. All voted aye,

L. Duerr moved to accept the Treasurer’s Report as presented and to place it on file. All voted aye.

The June bills were reviewed. Discussion was held on how the fee for connection to the water/wastewater is set up. It was agreed this needs to be looked into further. Foley moved, Busch seconded that the June bills be approved for payment. On roll call vote, all voted aye.

PUBLIC HEARINGS/CORRESPONDENCE
A) Ambulance Board – No Report
B) S.M. Chamber – Davis reported this Thursday will be the last day of “Ice Cream in the Park” for this season. It has been well attended.
C) Other – Nothing

PUBLIC WORKS
A) Monthly Report – Duerr reported: 1) Update on Skidloader – the Skidloader should be delivered by the middle of August; 2) Update on Disposal of Excess Equipment – John Duerr will get pictures and a list of the equipment to Lindsey so she can post it on Facebook. It will also be advertised in the Weekly Visitor and The Flash.
B) Operation/Maintenance/Streets Committee Report – No Report
C) Sewer & Water Operations Committee Report – No Report

ZONING REPORT – No Report
At this time, President Davis addressed the subject of solar panel installation for generating electricity. There is a growing number of “solar farms” in the county. Most cities don’t allow the installation of the panels on the ground but do allow roof installation. There are regulations such as they can’t face the street due to a glare to traffic, on the ground an opaque fence is required, on roofs, some require a 3’strip between panels for fire safety. Davis has had two inquiries. The Ordinance/Policy Committee will need to set up a meeting to address this issue.

ORDINANCE VIOLATIONS
Lindsey Duerr will set up a meeting with Mike Brown of Apple River to get him started working on the ordinance violations.

OLD BUSINESS
A) Report from TIF/JRB Meeting – the meeting was held on Wednesday, June 5, 2019 with Jim

Minutes – Regular Meeting, June 24, 2019 – Page 2

Davis and Dr. Caron, SM School Superintendent, in attendance. They discussed the school’s Project 2021; Dr. Caron asked about Dan Davis’s proposed TIF project; and, they discussed the ongoing need for housing and/or properties available for housing.
B) Zoning Map – Jim did not get a chance to contact the County GIS for a map.
C) Shipping Container for Maintenance Shop – will consider the need for one after the excess equipment is sold and Ron has a chance to assess the situation.
D) Set Meeting Date with School Administration – it was agreed to wait for them to contact the Village if they are interested in setting up a meeting.
E) Other – 1) Internet Service – Lindsey Duerr stated she had contacted Sand Prairie and Scales Mound still needs quite a few more people to sign up showing interest for their internet service. They will contact us if/when it gets close to enough.
2) President Davis will check with Montgomery Trucking to see if they have been paid for the trash removal at the apartments on Washington Street.

OTHER COMMITTEE REPORTS
A) Finance – Preliminary Appropriation Ordinance for Review – President Davis handed out a preliminary ordinance and a short discussion was held. Action on the ordinance will be taken at the July Regular Board Meeting.
B) Park & Special Projects – 1) Information on Repairs/Painting of Bandstand – No information available at this time.
C) Public Events & Safety – No Report
D) Trees & Sidewalks – No Report
E) Ordinance/Policy – It was agreed to set a meeting of the Ordinance/Policy Committee for Thursday, July 11, 2019 at 6:00 p.m. at the Stone House to discuss solar panel regulations and review other current ordinances and policies.
F) Stone House Committee Pro Tem – Update – Davis reported the papers are ready for bid. If necessary, a Special Meeting will be called in July to keep things moving on the project. He believes everything has been approved down state.
G) TIF/Subdivision Committee Pro Tem – Update – John Duerr asked to have a committee meeting and to have someone from Fehr Graham present to further discuss TIF development. A meeting will be set up.

NEW BUSINESS
A) Action on Prevailing Wage Ordinance – The State no longer requires the Prevailing Wage Ordinance. They now send notices that affect Jo Daviess County as they update the rates.
B) Other – None

BRAINSTORMING
A) Davis stated he would like the Board as a whole, and also each committee to work on planning for the next few months and eventually put together a Capital Plan.
B) President Davis stated Dave Davis is contemplating having a Sunday afternoon outdoor/street party and then if all goes well, would like to have it on an annual basis. There was no objection from the Board, however Dave would have to get an okay from the neighbors that they have no objections.
C) John Duerr stated that Carl Winter, Fire Chief, expressed that it is imperative that the Board updates the Emergency Operation Plan. Ruth Foley has the software program and she will forward it to Davis to be updated. Also discussed was NIMS training.

Minutes – Regular Meeting, June 24, 2019 – Page 3

D) Nicole Busch expressed concerns as to whether the Village has an ordinance regulating motor bikes – can they be operated on the streets; do you need to be a licensed driver; and, what are the noise regulations. Mike Brown will be asked to look into this.

ADJOURNMENT
J. Duerr moved, Foley seconded that the meeting be adjourned at 8:57 p.m. All voted aye.

These Minutes are subject to approval at the next Regular Board Meeting. Minutes are also available online at www.scalesmoud.com.

___________________________________
Village President

ATTEST: ___________________________________
Village Clerk