Minutes for January 29, 2018 Meeting

VILLAGE OF SCALES MOUND

Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustee

Stone House

January 29, 2018

7:00 P.M.

The Regular Meeting of the President and Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:00 P.M. on Monday, January 29, 2018 by President Davis.  Members present were Shannon Driscoll, John Duerr, Lindsey Duerr, Art Morby, Thomas Townsend and Bernard Trebian.  Also present were Steve Stadel, Village Treasurer, Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk, Ron Duerr, Ruth Foley, Blake Ellinor and Jon Schubert of O’Connor, Brooks & Co. P.C.

J. Duerr moved, L. Duerr seconded that the Minutes of the December 26, 2017 Regular Meeting and the Minutes of the January 15, 2018 Special Meeting be approved as read. All voted aye.

Steve Stadel reported that the past due utility bills have all been brought current, however it looks as if there will be new ones on the list for July.  T. Townsend moved, Trebian seconded to accept the Treasurer’s Report as presented and to place it on file.  All voted aye.  Stadel also mentioned that the Village needs to do the paperwork to get a GATA number.  Clerk Townsend stated she has that paperwork done.

The January bills were reviewed.  T. Townsend moved, Trebian seconded that the January bills, with the addition of one to Jo Daviess County in the amount of $704.07 for road salt be approved for payment.  On roll call vote, all voted aye.

PUBLIC HEARINGS/CORRESPONDENCE

A) Ambulance Board – Ruth Foley reported: 1) they had 631 calls in 2017; 2) the Special Olympics is coming up soon; 3) the Board is looking over policies; and, 4) Bill Bingham is the Interim Coordinator.

B) M. Chamber – Next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, January 31, 2018.

C) O’Connor, Brooks & Co., P.C. – Audit Report/Review – Blake Ellinor and Jon Schubert gave a brief overview of the Audit Report for the FY ending April 30, 2017. They reviewed their Management and Governance Letters. Once again, the material weakness pointed out was the same as previous years, which is the segregation of duties due to the fact there is not enough staff to satisfy the requirements.  Blake stated in the future the Treasurer will be able to do a Trial Balance which will help the Finance Committee in preparing the Budget.  They would like the Budget to be more specific.  Blake and Jon were thanked for the presentation.

D) Other – None

PUBLIC WORKS

A) Monthly Report – Ron Duerr reported he is working on the street sign project. Discussion was held on the correct address for the John Sincox residence. It was decided that address should be Calhoun Avenue (not Franklin Street).  Clerk Townsend will assign a house number.  After discussion, it was determined that the correct spelling of two Village streets is:  Burrall Avenue and Brayman Avenue.  Ron will get the signs ordered.

B) Operation/Maintenance/Streets Committee Report – It was agreed that President Davis needs to contact Steve Keeffer of the Jo Daviess County Highway Dept. soon to relay to him the information on the streets the Village intends to seal coat this year so he can include it with the County’s bid.

Minutes – Regular Meeting, January 29, 2018 – Page 2

C) Sewer & Water Operations Committee Report – Ron is working with a sales person from Gasvoda in regard to the meter in the Well House pit. Having this meter be operational is a mandatory requirement of the State. He will get back to Ron with estimated costs.

ZONING REPORT

A) Update on Building Permits – Bader – In Joe Lee’s absence, Davis reported Lee does have the building permit information from Jeff Bader.

B) Other – None

POLICE REPORT – None

OLD BUSINESS

A) Follow Up on Having County Bid for Village’s Seal Coating – President Davis is working on this.

B) Other – None

OTHER COMMITTEE REPORTS

A) Finance – No Report

B) Park & Special Projects – 1) Update on Park Project – Driscoll reviewed the Minutes from the Committee Meeting on January 8th. She stated bids will go out in February with construction as weather permits, keeping with the completion by the Grant deadline which is in the fall. The underground wiring will be bid separately as an option.  Davis is suggesting using LED lighting instead of high pressure sodium lights.  He knows of a source for the LED lights.  The consensus of the Board was to go ahead with the LED lights.  The Committee stated they would like to revisit the surveillance camera proposal as they see the need for cameras especially in the area of the splash pad.

C) Public Events & Safety – No Report

D) Trees & Sidewalks – 1) Ken Deckert called President Davis with concerns about the Ash trees in his neighborhood. Davis explained that the Village will continue with the tree inspection and removal of infected trees in the spring. 2) In regard to sidewalks, Davis stated the policy is that the Village pays $2.00 a square foot of poured cement, and, it is necessary to have the paperwork filled out correctly and approved before construction begins.

E) Policy Committee – 1) Consideration of an Ordinance Pertaining to Solicitation – working on it.

F) Stone House Committee Pro Tem – No Report

 

NEW BUSINESS

A) Review Closed Session Minutes from past Six Months – There were no Closed Sessions held in the previous six months.

B) Other – The SMFPD is asking to close a portion of Main Street from the alley between Provost Avenue and Germain Avenue, south to Germain during the 165th There were no objections from the Board.

MONTHLY REVIEWS

A) Ordinance Violations – None

B) Website – Nothing

C) Brainstorming – Nothing

CLOSED SESSION

Duerr moved, T. Townsend seconded to enter into Closed Session at 8:25 p.m. as allowed by Open Meeting Law Section 2 (c ) 11 pending Litigation. On roll call vote, all voted aye.

Minutes – Regular Meeting, January 29, 2018 – Page 3

Townsend moved, J. Duerr seconded to return to Open Session at 8:45 p.m. On roll call vote, all voted aye.

President Davis called for any action as a result of the Closed Session.  Morby moved, Trebian seconded to instruct President Davis to attempt to arrange a special meeting with Terry Kurt in attendance for some Wednesday evening in February to discuss pending litigation.  All voted aye.

ADJOURNMENT

Driscoll moved, L. Duerr seconded that the Meeting be adjourned at 8:50 p.m.  All voted aye.

These Minutes are subject to approval at the next Regular Board Meeting.  Minutes are also available online at www.scalesmound.com

______________________________

Village President

ATTEST: ________________________________________

Village Clerk