Minutes for January 28, 2019 Meeting

VILLAGE OF SCALES MOUND
Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees
Stone House
January 28, 2019
7:00 P.M.

The Regular Meeting of the President and Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, January 28, 2019 by President Davis. Members present were Shannon Driscoll, Lindsey Duerr and Bernard Trebian. Members John Duerr and Art Morby were absent. Also present were Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk, Ruth Foley, Nicole Busch and Jennifer Anderson.

Trebian moved, Driscoll seconded that the Minutes of the December 26, 2018, both Open and Closed Sessions be approved as read. All voted aye.

As Treasurer Stadel had reported he may be late for the meeting, the Treasurer’s Report and action on the bills were tabled until his arrival.

PUBLIC HEARINGS/CORRESPONDENCE
A) Ambulance Board – Ruth Foley reported that they are hoping to have enough people sign up to do a basic training class in Galena. The Ambulance Board meeting will be in February.
B) S.M. Chamber – Meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, January 30, 2019 at the Stone House.
C) Other – Clerk Townsend presented information on the 2019 Annual Downstate IL Occupations Safety Health (DIOSH) Day which will be held on Wednesday, February 27th. This is a conference for employers, employees and all others interested in safety and health.

ZONING REPORT – None
POLICE REPORT
A) Discussion on Options for Police Coverage of Village – Lindsey Duerr reported that the Police Chief in Stockton was going to reach out to his part time officers to see if there is any interest in putting in some hours in Scales Mound. She specified to him the Village is looking for an officer mainly for ordinance enforcement and it was agreed there would be a minimum of 3 hours on any specific day. To date, she has not heard back from him.
B) Other – None

OLD BUSINESS
A) Discuss Treasurer’s Salary – Lindsey Duerr reported she had talked to Steve Stadel and offered him $350 a month. He counter offered saying he would do it for $400 and explained to her what all they do as Village Treasurer. As the Board had previously decided on a maximum of $350 a month as an appropriate amount, they went on to discuss possible options if Steve does not agree to the $350. Those options include looking for someone who would be willing to be the Treasurer at a salary of $350 per month; possibly splitting up the duties to two people, one to do the bookkeeping, etc. and one to do just the utility billing. After further discussion, Davis agreed to contact Steve and discuss with him the Board’s position.

Treasurer Stadel entered the meeting at 7:15 p.m.

B) Other – iFiber – Lindsey Duerr reported she had spoken with Sand Prairie regarding the response from the Village residents about entering information online so they can determine if there is enough interest to warrant their providing internet service to the Village. To date there were only 21 who

Minutes – Regular Meeting, January 28, 2019 – Page 2

signed up and there needs to be two or three times that amount. Lindsey will put a notice on Facebook again.

Treasurer’s Report – Stadel reported that other than the services previously shut off, all utility bills are paid current. L. Duerr moved, Trebian seconded to accept the Treasurer’s Report as presented and to place it on file. All voted aye.

Bills – The January bills were reviewed. Trebian moved, Driscoll seconded that the January bills, with the addition of a bill from Jo Daviess County in the amount of $867.49 for road salt and tailings be approved for payment. On roll call vote, all voted aye.

OTHER COMMITTEE REPORTS
A) Finance – No Report
B) Park & Special Projects – The lights in the Village Park are all hooked up now, however, a couple of the older ones are not working. PCI will check that out when weather permits.
C) Public Events & Safety – No Report
D) Trees & Sidewalks – No Report
E) Ordinance/Policy Committee – No Report
F) Stone House Committee Pro Tem- Update from Committee Meeting 01/17/19 – Davis reported: discussion was held on electrical; will probably go with a 4’ frost wall instead of cement slab; heating and cooling; drainage tile in the front of the building; and, temporary electric service during demolition and construction. He will contact Bridgette Stocks to determine how to bid the project and to set up a meeting for her to meet with the Board. He will also contact Jim Baranski regarding elevations and Tony Edwards in regard to the temporary electric service.

NEW BUSINESS
A) Review Closed Session Minutes from Past 6 Months – After reviewing the minutes, Trebian moved, L. Duerr seconded to keep the Closed Session Minutes from the past 6 months closed to the public and to destroy the recorded Minutes from the appropriate time frame. On roll call vote, all voted aye.

B) Other – Davis reported he met with Sand Prairie representatives and received a Right-of-Way Agreement which he has forwarded to Attorney Terry Kurt for an opinion. He called for a motion for authorization to execute the agreement once he receives it from Kurt. L. Duerr moved, Driscoll seconded to authorize President Davis to execute the Agreement with Sand Prairie upon approval from Attorney Kurt. All voted aye.

C) Other – Steve Stadel informed the Board that ComEd will have an office in his building on North Avenue temporarily while working on the lines and poles in this area.

At this time, Dan Davis asked to speak with the Board regarding the development of a subdivision in the TIF area west of the Village, the same area which was discussed in spring, 2018. He asked if anything further was done. Nothing has been done since the meetings last year as nothing further had been received from Davis as to whether or not he was going to pursue the project. The following was discussed: 1) Dan should put something in a drawing to show just what he has in mind for the Board and the engineers to look at; 2) the Committee would need to look at it first to see if it would work in the TIF district, then the Board as a whole would consider it, and then it would be given it to Fehr-

Minutes – Regular Meeting, January 28, 2019 – Page 3

Graham to review; 3) Fehr-Graham would look at it as to elevations and drainage to see if it is doable;
4) Fehr-Graham would be asked to give some detailed engineering costs for the project based on those
preliminary drawings; 5) the Village would foot the bill for the engineering fees up to this point; 6) the area being discussed would be able to be served by sewer and water. Dan will decide if he wants to proceed with the preliminary drawings and if so, another meeting with the Committee will be set up.

Utility Billing – Steve Stadel asked what decision was made in regard to how to charge the residents who had already been billed and paid their utility bills in advance before the Board’s decision to raise the rates. After discussion, L. Duerr moved, Driscoll seconded to re-bill for the remaining months of 2019 for multiple monthly billings. All voted aye.

MONTHLY REVIEWS
A) Ordinance Violations – No Discussion
B) Website – No Discussion
C) Brainstorming – None

CLOSED SESSION – None

ADJOURNMENT
Trebian moved, Driscoll seconded that the meeting be adjourned at 8:00 p.m. All voted aye.

These Minutes are subject to approval at the next Regular Board Meeting. Minutes are also available online at www.scalesmound.com

___________________________________
Village President

ATTEST: ______________________________________
Village Clerk