Minutes for February 26, 2018 Meeting

VILLAGE OF SCALES MOUND

Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees

Stone House

February 26, 2018

7:00 P.M.

The Regular Meeting of the President and Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, February 26, 2018 by President Davis.  Members present were John Duerr, Art Morby and Bernard Trebian.  (Lindsey Duerr and Shannon Driscoll indicated they will be coming later.)  Member Thomas Townsend was absent.  Also present were Steve Stadel, Village Treasurer, Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk, Ron Duerr, Ruth Foley and Darin Oberhart.

J. Duerr moved, Trebian seconded that the Minutes of the January 29, 2018, both Open and Closed Sessions be approved as read. All voted aye.

J.  Duerr moved, Trebian seconded to accept the Treasurer’s Report as presented and to place it on file. All voted aye.

Board Member Driscoll entered the meeting at 7:04 p.m.

The February bills were reviewed.  J. Duerr moved, Driscoll seconded that the February bills be approved for payment.  On roll call vote, all voted aye.

PUBLIC HEARINGS/CORRESPONDENCE

A) Ambulance Board – Ruth Foley reported: 1) there are 2 new EMT’s and 3 more in class; and, 2) there will be a 1st Responder Class on April 10th with instructors from Rockford, IL.

B) S.M. Chamber – 1) the Chamber bought a two page spread in the Apple Canyon Lake Service Directory to introduce its members and services to property owners; 2) the annual Christmas Party went well and good comments were heard regarding the Christmas lights around town; 3) they are working on a location for the Farmer’s Market; and, 4) they discussed the Village’s 165th Celebration being sponsored by the Scales Mound Recreation Association.

C) DIOSH Day 2018 Brochure (Downstate IL Occupational Safety & Health Day) – Clerk Townsend presented information from IMLRMA regarding the IL Dept of Labor and OSHA Log of Work-related Injuries and Illnesses posting requirements. She also stated that there is a conference on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at the Peoria Civic Center, Peoria, IL for those interested in occupational safety and health. A program on the most current safety and health issues will be presented.

D) Mediacom Letter – Slight Rate Increase in Local Broadcast Station Surcharge – the most recent adjustment was an estimate so at this time they need to increase the Local Broadcast Station Surcharge another $.58 which brings the new monthly rate to $11.85.

E) Other – Clerk Townsend read a thank you note from the Steve Vincent family for the memorial flag.

PUBLIC WORKS

A) Monthly Report – Update on Street Name Signs – Ron Duerr stated the list of street names has been given to the County and they will get the signs ordered.

B) Operation/Maintenance/Streets Committee Report – Ron stated he would like to meet with the Street Committee sometime next week to decide which streets will be torn up, drainage problems, and, water hook ups in the streets being repaired. It was agreed to schedule the meeting for Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 6:30 p.m. at the Stone House. Clerk Townsend will post the notice.

Minutes – Regular Meeting, February 25, 2018 – Page 2

Member Lindsey Duerr entered the meeting at 7:15 p.m.

C) Sewer & Water Operations Committee Report – Duerr stated he received an email on the cost of a new meter. After Discussion, he stated that the total cost will be $3434.32. J. Duerr moved, Morby seconded to purchase the meter. On roll call vote, all voted aye.

ZONING – No Report

POLICE REPORT – Oberhart apologized for his absence the past couple of months citing bad weather and health issues.  He stated that the Wills properties at 317 and 321 Brayman Avenue have been cleaned up and are in compliance with the Nuisance Ordinance.  He spoke to the Board in regards to the purchase of a safety vest which, under state law, needs to be replaced every 5 years.  J. Duerr moved, Driscoll seconded to purchase the vest at a cost of $365.00.  On roll call vote, all voted aye.  Darin will take care of getting the vest.

OLD BUSINESS

A) Update on Having County bid for Village’s Seal Coating – Davis informed the Board that he recently found out that the County cannot include the Village’s seal coat work in their bid. Therefore, he will get in contact with Brian Nott of Fehr Graham with the information the committee put together.  Brian can then let the bids.  Local contractors will be used to tear up and reshape the streets.

B) Other – None

OTHER COMMITTEE REPORTS

A) FinanceNo Report

B) Park & Special Projects – 1) Update on Park Project – Driscoll reported the final plans will be emailed out to her later this week. Upon approval, the bids can go out the next week with March 23, 2018 being the bid opening estimated date. It was agreed to advertise bids in the Journal Standard, The Flash, and the Galena GazetteA list of local contractors was also discussed.  It may be necessary to call a Special Meeting to complete the bid process.

C) Public Events & Safety – 1) Plans for Annual Easter Party – the Annual Easter Party will be Saturday, March 24th from 1-2:00 p.m. at the Town Hall/Village Park.

D) Trees & Sidewalks – No Report

E) Policy Committee – 1) Consideration of an Ordinance Pertaining to Solicitation – Work in progress.

F) Stone House Committee Pro Tem – No Report

NEW BUSINESS

A) Jo Daviess County GIS Website Subscription – Approval to Renew – Renewal not yet received

B) Subdivision Proposal – President Davis informed the Board that Dan Davis is interested in talking to the Board regarding development in the TIF property owned by Charles and Helene Davis off of Jackson Street. He suggested the Board form a TIF Committee to meet with Dan for preliminary discussion on development in the TIF area. The next step would be to meet with the engineers and TIF Attorney Matt Keegan,   The Subdivision Ordinance can be found on the Village website within the Village Code.  Lindsey Duerr, Shannon Driscoll, John Duerr and Art Morby volunteered to sit on the committee.  They agreed to hold a meeting on Tuesday, March 6, 2018 at 6:30 p.m. at the Stone House and ask Dan Davis to attend.  Clerk Townsend will post the notice.

C) Other – None

Minutes – Regular Meeting, February 26, 2018 – Page 3

MONTHLY REVIEWS

A) Ordinance Violations – Nothing

B) Website – Lindsey Duerr will contact Craig Raymon to have the list of Board Members on the website updated.

C) Brainstorming – As Attorney Kurt was unable to attend this meeting, Davis will contact him in regards to attending the March Board Meeting to discuss pending litigation.

CLOSED SESSION – None

ADJOURNMENT – J. Duerr moved, L. Duerr seconded that the meeting be adjourned at 8:03 p.m.  All voted aye.

These Minutes are subject to approval at the next Regular Board Meeting.  Minutes are also available online at www.scalesmound.com

 

_________________________________

Village President

 

ATTEST: ______________________________________

Village Clerk