Minutes for December 26, 2017 Meeting


Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees

Stone House

December 26, 2017

7:00 P.M.


The Regular Meeting of the President and Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 by President Davis.  Members present were John Duerr, Lindsey Duerr, Thomas Townsend and Bernard Trebian.  Members absent were Shannon Driscoll and Art Morby.  Also present were Steve Stadel, Village Treasurer, Margaret Townsend Village Clerk, Ron Duerr and Ruth Foley.

Trebian moved, T. Townsend seconded that the Minutes of the November 27, 2017 Regular Meeting be approved as read.  All voted aye.

Townsend moved, J. Duerr seconded to accept the Treasurer’s Report as presented and to place it on file. All voted aye.

The December bills were reviewed.  J. Duerr moved, L. Duerr seconded that the December bills be approved for payment.  On roll call vote, all voted aye.


A) Ambulance Board – Ruth Foley reported: 1) discussion is being held on recruitment; there are classes starting in January in Pearl City and in February in Stockton. 2) The Coordinator is retiring; they are looking at the job description, etc. 3) There is a new protocol for service that they will be finishing up and it will go into effect this spring.  4) If anyone knows of someone interested in taking a class, please contact Ruth.

B) S.M. Chamber – No Report

C) Mediacom Letter – Rate Adjustments Effective January 1, 2018 – Clerk Townsend shared information from Mediacom that rates will be increasing $6.18+ on January 1, 2018. According to Mediacom, this increase is necessary because they are receiving increases all the time from broadcast and sports television channels and they then are passing it on to their customers so the customers are aware of where the charges are coming from.

D) Information Received to Introduce WHKS Civil Engineers, East Dubuque, IL to the Village – WHKS, engineers, planners and land surveyors submitted a Statement of Qualifications to introduce their firm to the Village. The information will be filed for reference in future projects.

E) Other – None


A) Monthly ReportInformation on Street Name Signs – Costs – Ron Duerr reported the cost of the double sided name sign is $23.75 and the cap for the posts is $7.55 apiece. He estimated 68 signs so figures looking at up to $2500. He will contact the County Highway Department to see if it is necessary that they be reflective.

B) Operation/Maintenance/Streets Committee Report – No Report

C) Sewer & Water Operations Committee Report – No Report


A) Update on Building Permits – Bader – No Report

B) Other – None

Minutes- Regular Meeting, December 26, 2017 – Page 2



A) Illinois’ Bicentennial Flag Raising Ceremony – Update – The ceremony was held as planned at 12:00 noon Monday, December 4th and went well. Several classes from Scales Mound Jr. High and High School attended as well as community members. Pictures were sent to area newspapers.  The flag will be flown for one year.

B) Generator for Stone House – Update – There was no new information presented. President Davis will be attending a Hardware Show in February and will see what information he can gather from there.

C) Other – None


A) Finance – The Audit Report will be presented at the January Regular Board Meeting.

B) Park & Special Projects – 1) Update on Park Project – the committee had nothing new to report but they plan to meet with Bridgette Stocks of Fehr Graham in January to keep things moving forward.

C) Public Events & Safety – No Report

D) Trees & Sidewalks – President Davis reported he has been working with Jeremy Soppe of Soppe Lawn Care and they have discovered that the Emerald Ash Borer has settled into many trees throughout the Village. Many trees have already been removed and more will have to be removed in spring. Decisions will have to be made as to how many, what species and where to plant trees to replace those being removed.

E) Policy Committee – 1) Consideration of an Ordinance Pertaining to Solicitation – the Committee is looking at policies already in place in other municipalities and were informed about Sterling Codifiers’ website where there is access to all types of policies.

2) Consideration of an Ordinance to adopt a Sexual Harassment Policy – President Davis explained about a state mandate that all governments shall adopt an ordinance pertaining to a Sexual Harassment Policy.  There is a January 15, 2018 deadline.  A special meeting will be scheduled to adopt a policy for the Village.

F) Stone House Committee Pro Tem – No Report


A) Action on Ordinance to adopt a Sexual Harassment Policy as State Mandated – No action at this time.

B) Other – None



A) Ordinance Violations – January 15, 2018 is the next date for shut-off notices to be sent to delinquent utility accounts.

B) Website – Nothing

C) Brainstorming – 1) Steve Stadel suggested that the Board look at the traffic flow on Clark Avenue from Franklin Street to Main Street. With the congestion there and safety concerns, maybe making it a one way street to the east would alleviate the chance of an accident happening. The Street Committee will look at the situation.

Minutes – Regular Meeting, December 26, 2017 – Page 3

2) Lindsey Duerr asked if a new business would be looking to locate in Scales Mound, would there be any land available to build on.  A short discussion was held.  Davis stated that if the business owner could not find an existing building to work with, they could always work with the property owners in the TIF District.


ADJOURNMENT – T. Townsend moved, J. Duerr seconded that the meeting be adjourned at 7:55 p.m.  All voted aye.

These Minutes are subject to approval at the next Regular Board Meeting.  Minutes are also available online at www.scalesmound.com



Village President


ATTEST:  _____________________________________

Village Clerk