Minutes for August 29, 2016 Meeting

VILLAGE OF SCALES MOUND

Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees

Stone House

August 29, 2016

7:00 P.M.

The Regular Meeting of the President and Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, August 29, 2016 by President Davis.  Members present were John Duerr, Ruth Foley, Ken Plath, Chris Schultz and Carrie Stier.  Also present were Steve Stadel, Village Treasurer, Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk, Ron Duerr, Brian Nott, Darin Oberhart, Staci Duerr, Joe Lee, Claire Bersbach, Fran Peterson, Lyndsay Plath and Ron Staver.

Stier moved, Plath seconded to add the following items to the Agenda:  1) Disposal of old playground equipment; 2) LP gas contract; 3) Staci Duerr request to close portion of some streets on south side of town on September 17, 2016.  All voted aye.

 

Stier moved, Schultz seconded that the Minutes of the July 25, 2016 Regular Meeting be approved as read.  All voted aye.

Schultz moved, Stier seconded to accept the Treasurer’s Report as presented and to place it on file.  All voted aye.

 The August bills were reviewed.  Duerr moved, Plath seconded that the August bills, with additions as specified, be approved for payment.  On roll call vote, all voted aye.                                                                                   

PUBLIC HEARINGS/CORRESPONDENCE

A) Claire Bersbach/Galena Territory EMT Scholarship Committee Presentation

Claire Bersbach and Fran Peterson spoke with the Board stating their committee is looking for people interested in training to become and EMT or to advance their EMT service level.  The Richard Peterson EMT Endowment Fund was established in honor of his memory to provide funding in EMT training and to help cover the costs.  Their mission is to encourage others to serve as EMTs.  Further information can be obtained by going to the Galena Territory Foundation TAB on the website www.thegalenaterritory.com or by contacting Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk.

 B)  Ambulance Board – No Report

C)  S.M. Chamber – No Report

D)  Invitation from Fehr Graham – IML Conference Client Dinner Reception –

An Invitation to the IML Conference Client Dinner Reception at the Mid-
America Club in Chicago on Friday, September 23
rd at 7 p.m. was received.  RSVP by September 14th.

E)  Mediacom Letter – Price Adjustment of Digital Transport Adapters – on or about September 1,  Mediacom will be increasing the monthly rental for the digital transport adapters $1.00 per month.  Also on September 1, the standard monthly rental price for data and phone modems will be $7.50.

 F) Letter from Hammer Law Firm (Terry Kurt, Attorney) Move to Dubuque – Notification was received that effective August 1, 2016, the office of Hammer, Simon & Jensen will be transitioning into two separate law firms.  Attorney Terry Kurt will be a part of the firm which will be practicing as a continuation of the current firm with the new name of Hammer Law Firm, P.L.C.  Kurt will continue to assist the Village on pending and future matters until or unless other arrangements are made.

Minutes – Regular Meeting, August 29, 2016 – Page 2

G) Flag Donation from Dennis Werner – Clerk Townsend reported she received information and the $50.00 donation for a flag purchased by Dennis Werner.  “Thank you Dennis.”

H) Other – None

 PUBLIC WORKS

A) Monthly Report – 1) Ron Duerr reported that Hahn Quarry and Louie’s Trenching have let him know that they are donating the black dirt used in the park project and the hauling of it.  Ron will put a thank you in the Weekly Visitor for the generous donations.  2) Concerns have been that there are some rough, sharp areas on some of the pieces of the new playground equipment.  Ron will inspect all pieces and properly smooth off those spots. 

B) Operation/Maintenance/Streets Committee Report – No Report

C) Sewer & Water Operations Committee Report – The water shut-off for the building at the corner of Franklin Street and South Avenue has been uncovered and is now operational.  It was reported that one half of the delinquent utility bill has been paid and the second half is to be paid on Tuesday.

At this time Ruth Foley stated that she would like to publicly thank Ron Duerr for the extra hours he put in on the installation of the playground equipment, working with the mulch and doing the final landscaping.  She suggested that the Board compensate him for those hours.  After discussion, it was agreed that the Board would come up with a stipend amount for the September Regular Board Meeting.

 At this time, Staci Duerr explained to the Board about a ride to benefit the Research for the Kids Benefit which is taking place on Saturday, September 17th.  The participants, normally numbering around 800, will be coming across the area to the north and would like to make Scales Mound one of their stops this year.  The hours would be from approximately 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.  Staci was requesting that Clark and Provost Avenues from Franklin Street to Main Street be closed to through traffic, also, Franklin Street from South Avenue to Germain Avenue be closed during that time.  Traffic would be routed on Main Street past the school.  Information on the event and street closings will be published in The Weekly Visitor.  J. Duerr moved, Foley seconded to grant the request for the temporary closings.  All voted aye.

ZONING REPORT – Joe Lee presented the paperwork requesting the refund of the Environmental Bond for the construction project at Heffernan Trucking.

 POLICE REPORT – Officer Oberhart reported he has been following up on various ordinance violations.

 OLD BUSINESS

A) Surveillance Cameras at Park – Update – Further discussion was held on placing cameras in the park.  No contact has been made yet with the Township in regard to placing equipment in the Town Hall.  Davis and Schultz will continue to work on it.

B) Possible Use of Grant Monies for Stone House for Generator – Davis will contact Bridgette Stocks of Fehr Graham regarding the possibility of using those funds.

C) Other – None

OTHER COMMITTEE REPORTS

A) Finance – No Report

Minutes – Regular Meeting, August 29, 2016 – Page 3

 B) Park & Special Projects – 1) IDNR Letter – Project Restored to its Pre-suspension Status – A letter was received informing the Village that the Town Park Improvement Project grant has been unsuspended and the Village may proceed per the terms of the agreement.  A 50% advanced payment is forthcoming and all allowable costs incurred from the original start date listed in the agreement may be included in the project.  The deadline for completion of the grant will be two years after the date of the last signature on the executed agreement.  2) Update on Park Project – the project is complete including the reseeding of the disturbed grassy areas.  It was agreed to advertise the old pieces of equipment for sale as scrap metal and to accept sealed bids which will be opened at the September Regular Board Meeting.  An ad will be placed in The Weekly Visitor.

 C) Public Events and Safety – No Report

 D) Trees and Sidewalks – Davis stated that Jeremy Soppe has been doing extensive tree trimming and some removal throughout the Village.  Soppe will be asked to look at the tree outside of the sidewalk on Provost Avenue between the old Presbyterian Church building and the Scott Ohms residence as well as the tree outside of the sidewalk to the west of the Southside Hornet Pub & Grille.  Davis asked for input from the Board on any other trees that might need work at this time.

 E) Stone House Committee Pro Tem – No Report

 NEW BUSINESS

A) Stier – Proposed Animal Control Ordinance Revisions – Board Members had previously received by email proposed changes made to the ordinance by Carrie.  President Davis stated he would like to put together a Policy Committee to work on this.  He also stated that animal control within the TIF District needs to be addressed as the property comes in as Agriculture and at the present time there are no regulations for control for protection of neighbors.  Stier, Schultz, Plath, J. Duerr and Foley all agreed to be on the committee with Carrie agreeing to be the chairperson.  A meeting date will be set.

 B) Tickets to Annual Fireman’s Dance – Past policy has been that the Board does not donate to the Fire District’s dance.

 C) Fill Board Vacancy – Davis stated he has been talking to a couple of people and asked the Board for suggestions if they know of anyone who might be interested.

D) Other – LP Gas Contract – a contract with Mulgrew Oil Co. was received offering $0.96 per gallon or $0.91 prepaid.  Foley moved, Plath seconded to accept the prepay contact at $0.91 per gallon and to up the volume 10% from the gallons used last year.  All voted aye.

 MONTHLY REVIEWS

A) Ordinance Violations – The suggestion was made that anyone who is paying a delinquent utility bill to avoid having their service disconnected should pay directly at the office of the Village Treasurer so Public Works can be advised as to whether the service should be disconnected or not.  It was also suggested that this information go on the bills.  Monies paid at the bank go directly into the Village’s

funds but that does not notify the Treasurer at the “last minute before shut off” and therefore the service will be shut off, so, always pay any delinquent payments directly to Treasurer, Steve Stadel.

 B) Website – Nothing

Minutes – Regular Meeting, August 29, 2016 – Page 4

 C) Brainstorming – Nothing

 At this time, President Davis addressed the Board with comments regarding the discussions held at the June and July meetings regarding past practices of himself, past Board action in regard to policy enforcement, etc.  A lengthy, heated discussion took place.

 CLOSED SESSION – None

 ADJOURNMENT – Plath moved, J. Duerr seconded that the meeting be adjourned at 9:05 p.m.  All voted aye.

 These Minutes are subject to approval at the next Regular Board Meeting.  Minutes are also available online at www.scalesmound.com

 

                                                                                    ____________________________________

                 Village President

ATTEST: __________________________________

                              Village Clerk