Minutes for August 28, 2017 Meeting

VILLAGE OF SCALES MOUND

Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees

Stone House

August 28, 2017

7:00 P.M.

 

The Regular Meeting of the President and Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, August 28, 2017 by President Davis.  Members present were Shannon Driscoll, John Duerr, Lindsey Duerr, and Thomas Townsend.  Member Art Morby was absent.  Also present were Steve Stadel, Village Treasurer, Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk, Ron Duerr, Joe Lee, Darin Oberhart and Ruth Foley.

Duerr moved, T. Townsend seconded that the Minutes of the July 31, 2017 Regular Meeting be approved as read.  All voted aye.

Townsend moved, L. Duerr seconded to accept the Treasurer’s Report as presented and to place it on file.  All voted aye.

The August bills were reviewed.  T. Townsend moved, Trebian seconded that the August bills be approved for payment.  On roll call vote, all voted aye.

PUBLIC HEARINGS/CORRESPONDENCE

A) Ambulance Board – Ruth Foley reviewed the report she had previously emailed to the Board, stating that they are reviewing policy.   She also stated there will be a First Responder course held in Elizabeth and asked if anyone knew of someone who might be interested in becoming a First Responder to let her know as they can always use help in recruiting new people.

B)  S.M. Chamber – No Report

C) Letter from IL Department of Labor regarding Updated Rate Schedule – A letter was received stating the Prevailing Wage Rate schedule for Jo Daviess County has been updated and the update can be found online at the link: Current Prevailing Wage Rates.  These updated rates will be effective on and after Friday, September 1, 2017.

D) Invitation from Fehr Graham to IML Conference Client Reception – Officers and Trustees received an invitation to attend Fehr-Grahams’ client reception at the IL Municipal League’s Fall Conference on Friday, September 22nd, 2017 at the London House in Chicago.  RSVP’s are due by September 15th.

E) Other – None

PUBLIC WORKS

A) Monthly Report – Ron Duerr began his report by wishing a very Happy Birthday to Mayor Davis.  He then reported that the skid loader bucket has a hole worn in it and found that a new replacement bucket would cost $762.60.   After discussion, J. Duerr moved, Trebian seconded to purchase a new skid loader bucket from K & L Bobcat in Darlington for $762.60.  On roll call vote, all voted aye.

B) Operation/Maintenance/Streets Committee Report – 1) Update on Street Project – Ron stated that he feels it is getting too late to put out bids for this season, however, because the work has been put off so many times, some of the streets are getting really bad.  He is getting cold patch from Shullsburg and patching the edges of some of the streets.  Davis stated that Brian Nott was going to let out the bids but Civil was already finishing up their work in this area for this year.   The estimate for blacktopping the proposed areas would be $86,000.  Davis asked the Board for permission to put out a bid for level binder work (by the school and on the truck route) and if they come in too high, the work will be put off until 2018 at which time the County would be asked to put our work in with theirs for a better price.  J. Duerr moved, Trebian seconded to instruct Fehr Graham to bid out the level binder portion of the street project with the County.  All voted aye.

C) Sewer & Water Operations Committee Report – 1) EPA Letter regarding Deficiencies – Davis reviewed the letter from the EPA which indicated this was a non compliance advisory, not a violation letter and the Village is allowed 45 days to reply.  Concerns included: 1) no master water meters – there is one functioning meter and a new one on standby; trying to purchase a transmitter for the functioning meter; need to determine how much is pumped from each well.  Dale Roberts has someone coming to help out.  Right now the wells are pumping intermittently and the hope is to get the problem addressed so that it is not an every day manual event.  Concern #2 – Need to exercise the distribution valve – will get some sort of program in place.  Concern #3 – the generator was previously installed (without a permit).  Davis spoke with the EPA representative and got him to okay the way it was done.  It was also stated that using LP to run the generator was the proper way to go. Overall, the deficiencies have been addressed and should be corrected soon.

ZONING

A) Update on Building Permits – 1) paperwork was submitted showing Shari Grindey has completed her garage project and the environmental bond will be returned to her.  2) Building permit and appropriate fees received from Davis Farm Supply for a house to be built at 706 Jackson Street.

B) Other – Steve Stadel told the Board he received a letter from Joe Lee stating he has a non-compliance situation where he has an apartment on the main level in a Business District.  Stadel stated that when Zoning went into effect, the front room of the area had a desk which was used by a business; however there was still a kitchen, living room and bathroom.  Davis explained that the use is the determining factor and that Zoning is meant to be a gradual elimination of non-compliance.  Stadel argued that obviously there are ways to get around this as it has already been done by changing a lot just up the street to residential and also that his building is surrounded by residences.  He further stated that he would like to apply for a Special Use Permit for the apartment.  He will need to work with Joe Lee, Zoning Administrator to get that process started.

POLICE REPORT

Officer Oberhart reported the following:  1) Ms. Pehl has been cited for harboring chickens without obtaining a permit.  A citation has been filed with the County.  He stated he informed her that she should apply for a permit, but to date, she has not.  2) He continues to work with Vernon Wills on bringing his properties on Braymen Avenue into compliance with the ordinances.  3) He is also working with Mark Petsche.  Currently the lawn is being kept mowed and the camper has been moved out of the front yard.  It is obvious that the piles of building materials in the back yard are not for residential use and must be removed.  4) He will be attending a training session by Lt. Col Dave Grossman at the Crossroads Building in Galena on October 11th.  There are two sessions, “Safe Schools & Healthy Students” and “The Bullet Proof Mind”.  The training is open to Law Enforcement, School Administrators, Teachers, Probation Officers, Youth Counselors, School Resource Officers, Fire, EMS and All First Responders.

OLD BUSINESS

A) Updates to Committees/Ambulance Board Rep – Davis had corresponded with Ruth Foley and she agreed to accept the appointment to the Ambulance Board and will report to the Board monthly, either in person or electronicalLy.   Davis stated he will have the remainder of the appointments ready for approval at the September Regular Board Meeting.

B) Update on Proposed Facebook Page – Driscoll and L. Duerr stated the page is not fully up and running as they were waiting to hear what Davis found out from Attorney Kurt on the legalities

C) OtherGenerator for Stone House – Davis stated the generator has not yet been ordered.  Davis and J. Duerr will both look into prices to bring back to the September Regular Board Meeting.  Davis will also check with Joe Lee on zoning regulations on generators.

OTHER COMMITTEE REPORT

A) Finance – the Finance Committee met on August 21st to discuss finances, appropriations and begin the preliminary work on the Tax Levy Ordinance which must be adopted on or before the last Tuesday in December.

B) Park & Special Projects – 1) Update on Park Project – The committee met with Bridgette Stocks on August 7th to continue working on the remainder of the proposed project.  Items discussed were a proposed Splash Pad, where to place it, what happens if it floods, etc.; burying current overhead electrical supply; and, another electrical entrance to feed the pavilion.  They have a list of 10 things to work on; Fehr Graham will get bids.  Suggestions made were that the committee be sure to let local contractors know of the work to be bid, try to get some of the things done by winter, get bids for the painting of the bandstand (in colors to match the new playground equipment), and, the “old jail” needs to be painted, door repaired or replaced and just made to look better in general.

C) Public Events & Safety – Nothing

D) Trees & Sidewalks – If anyone asks about sidewalk replacement, the Village pays $2.00 a square foot.

E) Policy Committee – Nothing

F) Stone House Committee Pro Tem – Nothing

NEW BUSINES – A) Red Cross Storm Damage Clean Up Kits – Clerk Townsend reported Chuck Pedersen, Jo Daviess County Emergency Manager delivered over 20 Clean Up Kits to the Stone House.  The kits are available to anyone who received storm damage in late July.  Townsend will put out notices and also a notice in the Weekly Visitor that these kits are available and are free.  Residents can contact her or Jim Davis to obtain a kit.

B) Other – Townsend also presented a notice she received today from Chuck Pedersen stating that Jo Daviess County area does not qualify for FEMA assistance for the damage caused by the recent floods.  He will continue to work with IEMA to see if any other assistance is available.

MONTHLY REVIEWS

A) Ordinance Violations – Nothing further

B) Website – Nothing

C) Brainstorming – Nothing

CLOSED SESSION – None

ADJOURNMENT

J. Duerr moved, L. Duerr seconded that the meeting be adjourned at 8:35 p.m.  All voted aye.

These Minutes are subject to approval at the next Regular Board Meeting. Minutes are also available online at www.scalesmound.com

____________________________________

Village President

 

ATTEST:  _________________________________

Village Clerk