Minutes for August 27, 2018 Meeting

VILLAGE OF SCALES MOUND

Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees

Stone House

August 27, 2018

7:00 P.M.

The Regular Meeting of the President and Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, August 27, 2018 by President Davis.  Members present were Shannon Driscoll, John Duerr, Lindsey Duerr, Art Morby and Bernard Trebian.  Also present were Steve Stadel, Village Treasurer, Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk, Ron Duerr, Ruth Foley and Blake Ellinor of O’Connor Brooks PC.

Driscoll moved, L. Duerr seconded that the Minutes of the July 30, 2018 Regular Meeting, Open Session, be approved as read.  All voted aye.  Discussion/approval of the Closed Session Minutes was tabled to Closed Session on the Agenda.

L. Duerr moved, J. Duerr seconded to accept the Treasurer’s Report as presented and to place it on file. All voted aye.

The August bills were reviewed.  A bill from Genesis Power for work done for the water department in the amount of $449 was added.  Stadel explained that in some instances, a bill that comes in right before or at a meeting and gets approved at that meeting will not show on the list for that month but will show up on the next month’s list.  The bill in the amount of $75 for Darin Oberhart was pulled as he is on administrative leave without pay.  J. Duerr moved, Morby seconded to approve the bills as corrected for payment.  On roll call vote, all voted aye.

PUBLIC HEARINGS/CORRESPONDENCE

A) O’Connor, Brooks & Co. Audit Report Presentation – Blake Ellinor gave a brief overview of the Audit Report for the FY ending April 30, 2018. All Financial Statements submitted were accurate. The Segregation of Duties was again pointed out as a material weakness for the same reason, which is that there is not enough staff to satisfy the Auditing requirements.  Blake also stated that they would like to see a more specific Budget other than or in addition to the Appropriation Ordinance.  Blake was thanked for the completion and presentation of the Audit.

B) Ambulance Board – Ruth Foley stated the Ambulance Board is going to go to the County Board to ask that the limiting levy be raised. The County Board will set a Public Hearing regarding the request. It was clarified that the Ambulance operation is a Special Service Unit Taxing District, therefore it is not affected by the Tax Cap.

C) M. Chamber – No Report

D) O’Connor, Brooks & Co. Invitation to 30th Anniversary Celebration – Clerk Townsend read the Invitation. It will be on Thursday, September 6th at their Galena Their “Celebration Business After Hours” will be from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. with a ribbon cutting at 5:00 p.m.

E) Notice from Sinnissippi Centers Re: Opioid Overdose Prevention Training Program – The program covers 5 counties and is designed to “bring light to this growing epidemic through prevention and awareness.” The trainings are 1 hour and can be completed by anyone. There is a phone number listed if anyone is interested in an in-service/training.

F) Mediacom Letter – Price Increase – On or about September 1, 2018, Mediacom will be implementing rate changes which will be a $10.00 increase in most packages.

G) Other – Nothing

Minutes – Regular Meeting, August 27, 2018 – Page 2

PUBLIC WORKS

A) Monthly Report – Ron Duerr reported the parts are here now for the meter replacement and plans are to do the work this coming Saturday. The pump/well will be down two to three hours, however the tower will be filled prior to that so there will be no shortage of water.

B) Operation/Maintenance/Streets Committee Report – Ron stated: 1) he will call Louie’s Trenching in regard to sweeping up the excess gravel; 2) the streets that were ripped up, graveled and sealed turned out well. The consensus of the Board was that all of the streets turned out very nicely. Fehr-Graham will send a paper saying the project is done and if the Board considers it satisfactory, the final bill to Louie’s can be paid.  As some extras were added to the original plan, the Committee will look at the bill before it goes to the full Board.  Thank you and congratulations to the Board for completing this project!!

C) Sewer & Water Operations Committee Report – Robbie Robbins (Genesis Power) has been able to straighten out a few problems with the sewer and water operations. Discussion was held on the maintenance programs he offers for generators. He offers three different levels. Level 2 is inspection/maintenance once a year for $775.    Duerr moved, L. Duerr seconded to enter into the Level 2 program at a cost of $775 a year.  On roll call vote, all voted aye.

ZONING REPORT – Administrator, Joe Lee presented a Building Permit and fees from Matt Dittmar for demolition of a garage and building a new garage.

POLICE REPORT – None

OLD BUSINESS

A) Discussion on Pump House/Well #2 – Art Morby stated the intention is to build the shell of the Pump House inside during the winter and then put it in place when the weather is good which should hopefully be in March or April. Some electrical work also needs to be done.

B) Other – None

OTHER COMMITTEE REPORTS

A) Finance – No Report

B) Park & Special Projects – Update on Park Project – Shannon Driscoll reported everything is completed except for the lights. The list of things completed is: electrical is buried, upped to 200 amp service, two 100 amp services installed, one to bandstand and one to pavilion; removed pole in the middle where the Christmas Tree is placed, now the center is all open. A special thank you to Art Morby for helping to build the pedestals for the electrical service.  Ron Duerr stated he may have to bring in dirt to fill in the ruts made by the cement truck.

C) Public Events & Safety – the Committee is working on plans for a gathering at the Town Hall after Trick or Treating. They are thinking of maybe a 1 hour event.

D) Trees & Sidewalks – Dave Davis would like to replace the sidewalk on the west side of his building at 219 North Avenue. Bernard Trebian and President Davis will meet with him regarding the specifications.

E) Policy Committee – Consideration of an Ordinance Pertaining to Solicitation – Davis stated he has forwarded the draft of the ordinance to Attorney Kurt and is waiting for his opinion. Davis will get back with the committee once he receives that opinion.

F) Stone House Committee Pro Tem – Generator Update – the pad for the generator should be poured before the next Board meeting.

G) Subdivision/TIF Committee Pro Tem – Nothing further – item will be removed from Agenda for the time being.

Minutes – Regular Meeting, August 27, 2018 – Page 3

NEW BUSINESS

A) LP Contract/Summer Fill – President Davis will secure a price with Saam Propane.

B) 2019 Consolidated Election Information – Clerk Townsend stated she has the materials for the April 2019 Election. There will be three 4-year Trustee positions and the Village President position on the ballot. Petitions can be picked up after September 18, 2018 and must be filed with the Village Clerk between December 10th and December 17th, 2018.

C) Other – ComEd – President Davis stated he met with ComEd to discuss service to Scales Mound. They stated they have moved our area to the top of their list. They are committed to improving the infrastructure starting in 2019.

D) OtherNicor Gas – Davis stated he met last week with Blackhawk Hills personnel regarding an interest by Nicor Gas to install natural gas in Scales Mound. The consensus of the Board was to proceed with the preliminary studies.

MONTHLY REVIEWS

A) Ordinance Violations – A concern was received about plastics being burned at Wills Garage. John Duerr will speak with Vernon Wills regarding this.

B) Website – Nothing

C) Brainstorming – Nothing

CLOSED SESSION

Morby moved, J. Duerr seconded to enter into Closed Session at 9:15 p.m. to discuss personnel and possible litigation as allowed by Open Meetings Law, Sec 2(C) 1 and Sec 2(C) 11.  On roll call vote, all voted aye.

Morby moved, J. Duerr seconded to return to Open Session at 9:30 p.m.  On roll call vote, all voted aye.

President Davis called for any action as a result of the Closed Session.  Morby moved, Trebian seconded to accept the corrected Minutes of the July 30, 2018 Closed Session.  On roll call vote, all voted aye.

ADJOURNMENT

J. Duerr moved, Trebian seconded that the Meeting be adjourned at 9:35 p.m. All voted aye.

These Minutes are subject to approval at the next Regular Board Meeting.  Minutes are also available online at www.scalesmound.com

 

_______________________________________

Village President

ATTEST:  ________________________________

Village Clerk