VILLAGE OF SCALES MOUND
Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees Stone House
December 29, 2014
The Regular Meeting of the President and Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, December 29, 2014 by President Davis. Members present were Ruth Foley, Chris Schultz, Carrie Stier and John Young. Member Karen Kelly was absent. Also present were Margaret Townsend, Village Clerk, Ron Duerr, Darin Oberhardt and Joe Lee.
Schultz moved, Young seconded that the Minutes of the November 24, 2014 Regular Meeting and the December 15, 2014 Special Meeting be approved as read. All voted aye.
Davis reported Treasurer Duerr was unable to prepare a monthly Treasurer’s Report due to the fact that she needs to have the software for Excel spreadsheet. It should be up and running by the January meeting.
The December bills were reviewed. Stier moved, Schultz seconded that the December bills, with the additions of Plourde Sewer Service and the stipend to the Scales Mound Chamber for putting up the Christmas lights, be approved for payment. On roll call vote, all voted aye.
- Ambulance Board – No Report
- M. Chamber – No Report
- Mediacom Letter – A letter was received from Mediacom stating that on or about January 15, 2015, the Local Broadcast Station Surcharge will change from $2.45 to $4.75; the Regional Sports Surcharge will change from $1.83 to $2.03 and HBO will change from $17.95 to $18.95.
- Other – None
- Monthly Report – 1) Update on Improvements at Lift Station – Still waiting for ground to 2) Sign Project – Duerr reported he had to order 11 signs which were not included in the program. Most of them are directional (arrows) signs. Otherwise most of the new signs and poles have been installed. 3) Manhole Project – Chad Wilson of PPI will be getting back to Ron in January to report whether or not they want to contract to do the manhole project. 4) Road Tubes – Ron informed the Board that it recently came to his attention that a tube under Washington Street had collapsed and needed to be replaced. The cause was that flames from burning leaves near the end of the tube had traveled through the tube and caused it to melt and collapse. Eventually the ground and street above the tube collapsed and had to be replaced and the street repaired. A notice will be placed in The Weekly Visitor reminding citizens to not burn near the ends of the tubes and/or the edge of the street. Just a reminder – tubes currently used are plastic, not metal which had been used for years and was mostly indestructible.
B) Operation/Maintenance/Streets Committee Report – No Report
- Sewer & Water Operations Committee Report – No Report
ZONING REPORT – No Report
Minutes – Regular Meeting, December 29, 2014 – Page 2
POLICE REPORT – Darin Oberhardt reported: 1) The lettering has been removed from the old squad car and the radio needs to be removed. It was suggested that the radio could be installed in the new plow truck. Duerr will talk to ComElec to see what needs to be done to prepare the truck and
install the radio. 2) The new car is running great and he is checking on prices for four new tires. Other equipment has been received and will be installed. 3) He is investigating a residential burglary which was reported on December 20th. 4) With the change of rules taking effect in the state, the current citation books are outdated. The consensus of the Board was to order the minimum amount.
- Annual TIF Meeting Date – Still waiting for
- Election Filings – Clerk Townsend reported three candidates, Kenneth Plath, incumbent John Young and incumbent Carrie Stier have filed petitions for the three Trustee Incumbent James Davis has filed for the Mayor position. The Consolidated Election will be held April 7, 2015.
- Other – None
OTHER COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Finance – 1) Reinvestments – None
- Park & Special Projects – the OSLAD grant awards will be announced sometime between January and April,
- Public Events & Safety – No Report
- Trees & Sidewalks – No Report
- Stone House Committee Pro Tem – Davis reported that he spoke with Connie Witte of Witte Architects and she told him she is unable to take on the Stone House project at this time but could give him some names of architects to Davis will follow up.
- TIF Expenditures Reporting – Board Members received a copy of the TIF Expenditures prepared by Clerk Townsend showing the total expenditures to date of $76,277.65. She stated that Blake Ellinor of O’Connor & Brooks would like Board approval of the report. Foley moved, Young seconded to approve the Due to/Due from TIF Expenditures report as On roll call vote, all voted aye.
- Other – None
- Ordinance Violations – None
- Website – Still not Stier will contact Craig Raymon.
- Brainstorming – 1) It was agreed that the Board needs to start thinking about a comprehensive land use plan and to work with the land owners in the TIF District to designate the usage. This is to determine future usage and does not change current
2) President Davis reported to the Board that he has been working with the school district in response
to their invitation regarding the establishment of a foundation for the school district and the community. The school’s website states that “the purpose of the foundation is to provide, accept, and disburse contributions, gifts and bequests from individuals, groups and businesses to support Scales Mound School District students and the Scales Mound Community.” It was determined that it would be best
to establish an organization that could serve the whole community which would include the “Hornet
Minutes – Regular Meeting, December 29, 2014 – Page 3
All In Scholarship”. A draft of bylaws of the foundation has been approved and Mr. Bianchetta is now soliciting applications for the Foundation’s initial Board of Directors. Any resident of the Scales Mound School District interested in serving on that Board is asked to contact Mr. Bianchetta at 815- 845-2215.
CLOSED SESSION – None
ADJOURNMENT – Foley moved, Schultz seconded that the meeting be adjourned at 8:50 p.m. All voted aye.
These Minutes are subject to approval at the next Regular Board Meeting. Minutes are also available online at www.scalesmound.com